Pod Your Reef

Pico Contest

hlander

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yea i think this should be limited to unmodified(for size not power) HOB filters.

well, can't you purchase some pretty large filters /Fuge? Aquafuge? what about canister filers?

what if you had an acylic 5 gallon tank and you glued an acrylic AIO filer tank to the back.

What if, What if... i know, I know. <_<

not saying i am doing any of this. I just think we need clarified rules for all. i hate to get beat out by someone gluing a 20 gallon fuge to the back and adding 10lbs of weight to the front of the tank so it does not tip over.

you know someone will do it too.

Hurry up and decide on rulez so I play too! :P

that would be a shame if deli joined and i beat him with a tank HE made for me. :P but man i want u to join to. :)

one of the things you have to remember is most if not all of the HOB fuges are too large(long) to hang on the back of a 5.5g which is the biggest allowed tank much less any of the larger HOB fuges that might be near 5g.

as for canisters that is a very good question.but for the most part i think unless someone had a small one laying around it would be an expense that most of us wouldnt want for such a small tank for the little bit of an advantage it would give us in water volume. i also think if water volume was that important to people there wouldnt be so many contestants using <3g tanks

i guess i took to long to type my reply hlander answered it with a really good answer

one of the things you have to remember is most if not all of the HOB fuges are too large(long) to hang on the back of a 5.5g which is the biggest allowed tank much less any of the larger HOB fuges that might be near 5g.

as for canisters that is a very good question.but for the most part i think unless someone had a small one laying around it would be an expense that most of us wouldnt want for such a small tank for the little bit of an advantage it would give us in water volume. i also think if water volume was that important to people there wouldnt be so many contestants using <3g tanks

<3? :haha:

I know this is sort of late notice... And i know that it probably isn't fair but does anyone mind if i boost it up to 8g? There is a good deal on a Biocube 8g for me but i don't want 4 tanks. Its ok if you disagree just asking for opinions. I will stick with my 2.5g if it matters to someone.

it is not to much of a problem with me but i think that any tank that is bigger than 5 gallons is not a pico.

I know :P

look at it this way

the "8gal " is outside deminsions NOT total water volume

so after you add the aio part lets say -1.5 to 2gal okay ?

then add you LS and LR thats taking about 2gal of water volume away 2

so your really only getting 4ish gal of water

look at it this way

True. This supports the fact NO TANGS IN UNDER 100 GALLONS! :P

It's all good with me if you boost it up..... I have a 6gal nano cube that I can use :)

Great! Will i be messing your other tank thread up? Your ordered a tank just for this -_-

if for any reason you dont use the biocube i say you buy it anyways and stick it in a closet somewhere till you can set it up lol. thats why i have 4 tanks in my backyard lol

if for any reason you dont use the biocube i say you buy it anyways and stick it in a closet somewhere till you can set it up lol.

Lol. that makes me anxious. :ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

look at it this way

yes but this same principle applies to even smaller tank like mine. my tank is about 2.5 gallons total and im not sure if thats outside volume or not but then if i add maybe five pounds of live rock and sand it makes it to about 1 gallon total.

Great! Will i be messing your other tank thread up? Your ordered a tank just for this -_-

if your going to do this

NOTHING OVER 8GAL BIOCUBE

only 8gal aio or 6gal aio

and your other tanks that are already in the contest

yea and the same thing goes if say you use a 10g tank you could put 15-20lbs of rock in it and you would probably be around 5g of total water in the tank but with alot more space for corals and stuff.

yes but this same principle applies to even smaller tank like mine. my tank is about 2.5 gallons total and im not sure if thats outside volume or not but then if i add maybe five pounds of live rock and sand it makes it to about 1 gallon total.

its a pico contest buddie

water volume under 5gal = pico

2.5gal aio same as 5gal = pico

there is no contest rules where every tank has to be the same

tank cant be over 5gal water volume anything under is ok

Archived