Pico Contest

hlander

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply
animalmaster6
Pretty sure im gonna enter this contest with a 5g AIO... add me to the list

Awesome!

yay another contestant for me to take down lol.

2327330940_b5c0abea50.jpg

~ You have to be entered with a picture of your tank with an item in it (shirt, can, etc) by Jan. 20 to participate

I can assume we need to have a picture posted in a tank build thread by the 20th? Or do we send it somewhere else?

Also, Is the 5 gallon limit total gallonage? including Fuge/Filter chambers? Or is it 5gal limit on display and have as big as fuge as you want?

you have to start a thread with a picture of your tank in it that you will also update regularly of the progress of your tank.

and just one tank no sumps or fuges unless they are attached in an AIO setup or an HOB filter setup. this way we keep people from using a 5g pico attached to a 40g tank which would defeat the whole point because it would make it like your setting up a large tank you wont have any of the challenges of having a small pico tank other than display space.

you have to start a thread with a picture of your tank in it that you will also update regularly of the progress of your tank.

and just one tank no sumps or fuges unless they are attached in an AIO setup or an HOB filter setup. this way we keep people from using a 5g pico attached to a 40g tank which would defeat the whole point because it would make it like your setting up a large tank you wont have any of the challenges of having a small pico tank other than display space.

Ok. i get that..... no fuges. i guess i should of worded it better.

So can you use a 10gal tank with a 5 gal display in a aio setup?

Or a 5 gallon tank with a 5 gallon HOB filter?

is it total gallons? Or Display gallons? makes a BIG difference. If someone has a 5 gal with an aquaclear 110 moded for 3-4 extra gallons...... Does that count? As long as it is hanging on the back?

Also. most of the cheap 5 gallon marineland tanks you get at the store are actually 5.5. Those count?

sorry to be a PITA.... just want to stay within the parameters.

im pretty sure hlander updated the rules a little in one of the many previous pages lol to include 5.5g tanks but that is as big as the contest will be allowed to go.

now for tank volume. i believe 5g would be the max. like you cant use our example of a 10g tank with half of it sectioned off for a display with the other half for an AIO kind of thing. but you could have a 5g with an AC110 if you wanted but i dont know if you would really want 500gph of flow going through the tank which is why nobody so far has opted to use one. you can also choose to use an HOB with an AIO if you wanted i believe

animalmaster6
Ok. i get that..... no fuges. i guess i should of worded it better.

So can you use a 10gal tank with a 5 gal display in a aio setup?

Or a 5 gallon tank with a 5 gallon HOB filter?

is it total gallons? Or Display gallons? makes a BIG difference. If someone has a 5 gal with an aquaclear 110 moded for 3-4 extra gallons...... Does that count? As long as it is hanging on the back?

Also. most of the cheap 5 gallon marineland tanks you get at the store are actually 5.5. Those count?

sorry to be a PITA.... just want to stay within the parameters.

Mustang Boy seems to have answered all your questions.

Ask as many questions as you want! We don't like DQing people! :)

Wait, I'm lost, are you one of the Mods for this contest now too?

Not trying to be difficult, just confused.

I've been seeing a lot more "rule clarification" from you than I have from hlander or animalmaster over the last day or so.

animalmaster6
Wait, I'm lost, are you one of the Mods for this contest now too?

Not trying to be difficult, just confused.

I've been seeing a lot more "rule clarification" from you than I have from hlander or animalmaster over the last day or so.

lol No Mustang Boy is not. He has been extremely helpful with answering Q's as he gets the rules. I thank him very much! If he makes a mistake or says a rule wrong I will correct it but he is doing great!

Since going back to school after vaca. I've been SOOOOOO busy! I haven't been able to have a lot of time on here.

im pretty sure hlander updated the rules a little in one of the many previous pages lol to include 5.5g tanks but that is as big as the contest will be allowed to go.

now for tank volume. i believe 5g would be the max. like you cant use our example of a 10g tank with half of it sectioned off for a display with the other half for an AIO kind of thing. but you could have a 5g with an AC110 if you wanted but i dont know if you would really want 500gph of flow going through the tank which is why nobody so far has opted to use one. you can also choose to use an HOB with an AIO if you wanted i believe

ok. So a 5.5gal with a modded 5.5gal HOB filter/fuge is ok as long as it is hanging off the back?

Also an AC110 does not pump 500gph after you mod the impeller. :)

animalmaster6
ok. So a 5.5gal with a modded 5.5gal HOB filter/fuge is ok as long as it is hanging off the back?

Correct!

hahaha yea i forgot about modding the impellar. i would probably be doing that on the tank im using in the contest but i dont have the length needed for an AC110 on my 5g hex the biggest i can fit is an AC30 which is what im planning on modding into a fuge.

animalmaster6
Wow... You can do a Pretty BIG DIY filter and hang it off the back! No restrictions on Filter size?

Don't make it too big though. If it is too big I will let you know!

Hlander, what do you think of this?

NewBostonConst
Don't make it too big though. If it is too big I will let you know!

Hlander, what do you think of this?

What is too big? Five Gallons?

i think a HOB filter thats is bigger than 3 gallons is unfair because if u have 5 gallon tank with a 5 gallon HOB filter that is already 10 gallons. :o

Archived