ReefCleaners.org

Violinist's 20 Long - 3 Years!

violinist

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just ordered a replacement set of the T5's (same combo). I think the 18 month replacement time, assuming I remember that correctly, is bull####. I've been getting red film algae popping up here and there as soon as the bulbs hit about 10-11 months, and nothing about my maintenance has changed. If anything there are less fish so less food going in and less crap coming out of them. Skimmer is working fine, so just my theory the bulbs are crapping out and no longer outputting their original wavelengths.

I am noticing the same thing in my tank. I have replaced 2 of the 4 bulbs I have, and have the other 2 on the way... Next go around, I'm switching to LEDs. I've seen a lot of positive results in the past year with some local friends' tanks. It will be interesting to see what happens longterm. Lower energy usage, higher intensity, and the ever-so-lovely shimmer effect.

OClownsandNanos

Wow I missed a lot while I was gone. Am very glad you've made a comeback after that power outage, V! And from everything I've been reading recently about T-5 lighting, after 9 months the lights start to lose their spectrum bigtime, which is probably why you saw the red algae after that time. I just changed my bulbs a few weeks ago too. Probably did not help my algae problems that I had them running for about 11 months before changeout.

Hope to see new pics from you soon and Happy New Year!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So anyway...

IMG_0036-Edit.jpg

IMG_0045-Edit.jpg

IMG_0044-Edit.jpg

IMG_0043-Edit.jpg

IMG_0042-Edit.jpg

IMG_0041-Edit.jpg

IMG_0037-Edit.jpg

IMG_0035-Edit.jpg

IMG_0034-Edit.jpg

IMG_0033-Edit.jpg

IMG_0032-Edit.jpg

IMG_0031-Edit.jpg

IMG_0030-Edit.jpg

IMG_0029-Edit.jpg

IMG_0028-Edit.jpg

IMG_0027-Edit.jpg

IMG_0026-Edit.jpg

IMG_0024-Edit.jpg

IMG_0023-Edit.jpg

IMG_0022-Edit.jpg

IMG_0021-Edit.jpg

IMG_0019-Edit.jpg

IMG_0018-Edit.jpg

IMG_0016-Edit.jpg

IMG_0015-Edit.jpg

IMG_0012-Edit.jpg

IMG_0011-Edit.jpg

Fire shrimp, mandarin and 6-line are all alive and kicking.

There's a watchman goby in there somewhere. Somewhere.

MCF had a 5 for 20 dollar sale on sps, hence those little browned out frags. We'll see.

I cracked my orange digi in two putting the frags in.

The ora red planet guy has grown off its plug onto the surrounding rocks and is sending up two new stems.

The monti has grown out of control. I added a little bright red frag next to it, but it can't be seen in the pics.

The gono and aveopora are doing very well. Shrooms are going everywhere, gsp continues to eat the back wall. I have to rip chunks of it out once in a while to keep it from growing over other coral.

The zoas are good, but there are also a couple of strange little zoa factory areas that have appeared. At first I thought it was some new kind of algae, but no, tiny zoas appear from this goop.

The two large balls of frogspawn have served up some karma on the old demon frogspawn, which has been reduced to a few tentacles waving hesitantly from its skeleton.

That's the highlight reel. Red algae problem is 99.999% over with. Got tired of the two islands look, so things have been changed up a little.

I'll be around more now. Thanks to those who've been checking in!

Do you still have that harlequin shrimp?

No. One night he was there and then I never saw him again. There was one remaining hitch hiker crab in here, presumably still is, who went from tiny little crab to holy-####-look-at-the-size-of-that-crab and I think he might have taken the shrimp out.

What's the name of the zoa/paly in the middle? I've had it for over 8 months and never known and nothing on zoaid looks like it.

Not sure which one you mean. The big ones with reddish tentacles and green faces are just some generic polyps that came on a rock and grew like weeds. Keep an eye on it, they will shadow out and kill surrounding zoas...

Not sure which one you mean. The big ones with reddish tentacles and green faces are just some generic polyps that came on a rock and grew like weeds. Keep an eye on it, they will shadow out and kill surrounding zoas...

Weird, mine are much slower growing, under evil's par38 even, but do move around. Thanks for the heads up though.

Very cool V. That was a PICTURE update! 7th pic in, are those zoa or goni (almost a white with a blue mouth)? Love the colors... And probably my fav is that pink acro. How's everything else going out there?

Very cool V. That was a PICTURE update! 7th pic in, are those zoa or goni (almost a white with a blue mouth)? Love the colors... And probably my fav is that pink acro. How's everything else going out there?

Those are goni's that I just moved over so not all of them had extended yet. They get surprisingly loooong.

Everything else is going pretty well. I'm hoping that the 4 dollar acro's color up nicely. Other than shattering my digi, I've been getting really great growth out of other sps in there. I'll have to shoot a short video soon, it's too hard to take pictures of everything now.

This tank never ceases to amaze me. I've been tossing around the idea of a dorm 20L, probably not this semestre but maybe, or I could go for that 135g........

squirrelieygrrrl

love it violinist!

looks great! i havent checked out this thread in ages, so awesome to see how far youve brought it since the last time i was here. spectacular. i see you love shooting mushrooms as much as i do, they seem to make great subjects. something about the texture of them. gl with the acros! i do the same thing all the time at my lfs, buy cheap browned out frags and watch em come back to life! sometimes you get the greatest surprises that way.

• 2 weeks later...
That video was fantastic. I would imagine that is you playing the music?

Thanks! No that's Andrew Manze playing. I have to use relatively obscure stuff so youtube doesn't delete the soundtrack...

Archived