Coral Vue Hydros

Violinist's 20 Long - 3 Years!

violinist

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
automatik_33

Sorry to hear this. :( Hope you can manage to save as much as possible. Always been and always will be an inspirational tank.

nice progress, are you planning on going to the CMAS super-swap on feb 6? I haven't gone but i heard alot of good stories.

hope you don't mind, here's my 20l that i rescaped from a frag tank right around the same time you started yours.

FullView.jpg

Anyone know how he manage to hold this 24" fixture on that 20L?

Thanks

Sorry to hear that update...

I've been through most of your tank thread and you have some wonderful photos. I really love that shot from under the tank at ~45˚ to the waterline.

I hope things swing back around and you find out what's going on with your corals. All the best.

tundrashaul
Where are you V?

I came to say this.......everytime i see a new post on this thread i think there will be an update.....but always leave disappointed :huh:

I just got my reefkeeper lite today, by far the best investment for my tank.

You should get one!

Excuse me being a n00b, but what is a reefkeeper lite?

Violinist, very sorry to hear of your difficulties.

From my own experience and some reading I have been doing over the last couple of months, it is possible to bring a tank back from the kind of situation yours is in, it just takes time, patience, and perseverance.

There are many here who are more than happy to help you out and offer support.

You have a big fan base. :)

You built a beautiful tank once, it can be rebuilt, let us help.

Hey thanks all, for some reason I wasn't getting email alerts of new posts or I'd have replied sooner.

I woke up this morning to find the punky blenny, dead. A very sad day.

Worse yet he was the last fish standing. The hawk died a few days ago and the basslet a week or so before that. All started showing signs of ich a bit after that power outage. It sucks.

The coral die off has stopped. I'm left with some zoas, the frogspawns the monti cap and the digi. The digi has actually been growing like mad this whole time, probably because it's getting blasted with so much flow that none of this red slime algae crap can latch onto it.

I've got pictures of things at their worst that I'll put up soon. I've just been trying to get the tank back under control the last few weeks. I've dumped a ton of snails and crabs in it to try and beat back the algae because I don't want to start pouring chemicals in. It looks like things are taking a turn for the better, but it's looked like that a couple times before so I'm hesitant to declare victory.

I can only point my finger at the power outage for all this. I did massive water changes, changed all the filters in my ro/di unit, etc and nothing made any difference. Things just suddenly went to hell and stayed there and it all started after the outage. I guess with a small tank it doesn't take much to throw things out of whack, and then there's just not enough water in the system to mitigate the negative effects...

Anyway, it's not a nuke but it's still not pretty. Pictures later.

tundrashaul

Gald to see the tank is still running though. Im sad to hear about the blenny, he was one of my favorite to see pics of. Hang in there V, like Weets said.....you built a BEAUTIFUL tank once and we know you can do it again. How old are your bulbs?

Yeah I thought about replacing the bulbs too, but there only 6 or 7 months old... Shouldn't have to yet for t5's. I'll give it another week and if things don't clean up I'll change them out. I'm going out of town for a few days too so I think I'll just go lights out on the tank when I'm gone.

Violinist,

I just wanted to let you know real quick i've been following your thread for a while. Your tank is the reason I got into reefing. The combination of your tank, and the 20-long thread is the reason I went with the 20-long. It's a shame about the power loss, and i'm sorry to hear about your tank. My tank is still young and the only thing I have big enough to frag is some green star polyps. I would be more than willing to send you a nice chunk if you'd like. Good luck.

-Vince

Managed to catch a pic of the shrimp. Bizarre looking creature:

harlequin.jpg

Harleys are awesome!! I had a pair in my last tank, I'll send you some pics later of mine. It took me a couple trys to get two to pair up but finally after 3 I found a match. Here is a cool link on Harleys I'm not sure if you've already seen it but if you havn't I think you'll enjoy it. Here is an old video of my pair I dug up check it out.

th_harlequinspairingup.jpg

Sorry to hear about your tank man I didnt realize that had happened before I posted this, I was only up to the harlequin part of the thread when I replied.

animalmaster6

Very very very sorry to hear about the fish. :(

I agree. You once built an incredible tank and you can do it again. It'll be even better than before.

tundrashaul
Yeah I thought about replacing the bulbs too, but there only 6 or 7 months old... Shouldn't have to yet for t5's. I'll give it another week and if things don't clean up I'll change them out. I'm going out of town for a few days too so I think I'll just go lights out on the tank when I'm gone.

I have a buddy that has been running t5s for a while and he told me he gets red slime algae at 71/2 to 8 months like clockwork, but this wouldnt explain the loss of fish.

Archived