Pod Your Reef

Violinist's 20 Long - 3 Years!

violinist

Time. I need more hours in the day. I've been looking at various walls in my house, getting inspired by Nemmy and contemplating doing an in-wall 40 breeder to replace the hex.

That would look amazing! Would this be an upgrade from the 20L as well? Or just a replacement for the Hex-O-Death?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i like ur tank, i like ur photos n i like ur video, they look awesome :happy:

Thanks!

Just gave the tank a major cleaning. Well the skimmer to be precise, the tank has been sort of keeping itself clean for the last 6 weeks or so now. Haven't seen any sort of algae other than coraline growing around in a very long time. Ahhh, stability.

I should have taken a picture or two of cleaning the skimmer out. It looked like Kermit the Frog vomited all over the bathtub. But it was seeming like the flow rate coming out of the return was a bit less than I remembered, so I figured it was time for the major pain-in-the-ass cleaning of the bubble chamber part of it. Takes forever, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Pics and maybe vid later this evening.

Bunch of snaps for your viewing pleasure, in no particular order:

IMG_0175-Edit.jpg

IMG_0176-Edit.jpg

IMG_0177-Edit.jpg

IMG_0181-Edit.jpg

First frag I ever got, I bought it with my old BC8 a few weeks before thanksgiving 2009.

kenyan_tree_coral.jpg

...and it's grown quite a bit:

IMG_0182-Edit.jpg

IMG_0185-Edit.jpg

IMG_0186-Edit.jpg

IMG_0188-Edit.jpg

IMG_0191-Edit.jpg

Everything poops...

IMG_0192-Edit.jpg

IMG_0195-Edit.jpg

IMG_0196-Edit.jpg

Arkayology

Great pics as usual. I need to get you to come take proper pics of my tank. I am sure they would look 100x better :)

WOW... this tank is awesome - I love the scape - your pics have that big tank feel. Can't believe that's all in a 20.

Great pics as usual. I need to get you to come take proper pics of my tank. I am sure they would look 100x better :)

haha lol, same here too, you'd make my hex look so much better just by taking the pics. Great pics as usual everything is looking very nice.

i can never keep up with this thread, which is great. i come in and there page's of pretty pics.

if your thinkin of upgrading a 29 would be an easy addition and is a huge driffrence.

I'm looking to start a 20 long and yours is very inspiring but I just have a question about your skimmer: do you have the pre-skim overflow box thing they sell with it as an extra? I guess I'm just confused as to what it is and/or does.. Also it's apparent you've had great success with the remora HOB, is it worth the money and not doing a sump?

Thanks!

Thanks for all the compliments folks!

do you have the pre-skim overflow box thing they sell with it as an extra? I guess I'm just confused as to what it is and/or does.. Also it's apparent you've had great success with the remora HOB, is it worth the money and not doing a sump?

Thanks!

I do have the pre-skim box.

With or without the box, there is a small pump connected to some tubing that blasts water up into the skimmer.

Without the box, that pump just sucks water from wherever it happens to end up when you hang the skimmer on the back of the tank. With the box, water can only get to the pump by spilling over the top of the box (where the slits are) and the only water that can get over the top of the box is the surface water in the tank...

"With the box" is the only way I have ever run the skimmer, though I know of others running the same skimmer w/o the box. In my experience it works well and does what it is supposed to do (keep the water clean). It takes a bit of tinkering to adjust the relative position of the top of the box attachment as the box basically clamps onto the pump it surrounds via a couple of thumbscrews.

If the top of the box is too high, not enough water enters the pump chamber to keep up with the volume of water that the pump is pushing up into the skimmer. Chamber runs dry, pump starts gurgling and sputtering, wife starts crabbing at you because it's 2am and the fish tank is making a racket, etc, etc.

If the top of the box is too low, the whole effect of surface water being spilled into it fails since the whole apparatus is essentially submerged.

Set just right, the surface of the tank water is kept clean which is a nice bonus on top of the general cleaning of the water that the skimmer performs.

If I were going to do it all over again, I still wouldn't bother with a sump on this sized tank but that's just my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
automatik_33

Any new updates?

Always love viewing your pics so that hopefully one day my reef may look as good. :happy:

Glad you like it. I'll try and put something up soon. Not a lot has changed though...

Last week someone (probably the blenny) unlodged one of the zoa clusters and knocked it to the sand. Then did it again after I put it back. So it's still sitting there. One of the yuma's swam up and parked itself on the vortech. Put that back down and it's stayed put.

What else...

Kenya and the nearest frogpspawn have been happily stinging each other but no one has died they just shrivel back from each other for a day or two and then go back to war.

Accidentally frag'd off part of my monti while suctioning water out during the wc...

Coralline is growing all over the place now. Have to razor it off the front glass.

That's really about it. Tank is about 6 months old now so everything seems to have worked itself out and there's nothing to worry about. I'm dosing about 18ml a day of brightwell a/b, each part. Still doing 5g WC's every weekend.

I'll update the hex thread too. Big glass box of vomit...

Archived