Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Violinist's 20 Long - 3 Years!

violinist

I'm at Rutgers majoring in Plant Science

Lol, well I guess that lines up nicely with your reason for staying out of the navy. Is Plant Science different than Botany or is Rutgers dumbing things down?

Running a tank at college?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lol, well I guess that lines up nicely with your reason for staying out of the navy. Is Plant Science different than Botany or is Rutgers dumbing things down?

Running a tank at college?

They lumped like 3 majors into one pretty much. I'm doing Plant sci with a research option, and they also have a turf grass option and a horticulture option, but they are all rather different. the other two don't need orgo or biochem and a few other classes that I need to take. they get to take more plant sci electives or some bull####.

yeah i got a tank here, its a planted betta vase lol. I want to bring back my pico tho, I'm thinking of starting it up in time for that <3g contest.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I like the new look of the site, very slick.

So, this tank is 3 years old now. Things have been humming along without much of interest to report. I've moved a few things around to try and keep the inmates happy, but short of a water change every other weekend there's been nothing added to the tank in quite some time.

Still have both frogspawn. This guy has more heads than I've bothered to count in a while, and it's sitting on the sand because I accidentally broke it off the piece of rubble I'd glued it to way back when. I can tell it's po'd because it doesn't go 100% puffy, but I'm short on options as there simply isn't a good place to put the thing where it can take p a third of the tank. Probably time to grab the saw and send some frags to new homes. The other FS is sitting on the opposite end by the vortech head. A lot of flow, not much puffage... Again, no room.

IMG_0002-Edit.jpg

The orange rics have cloned off over and over. Counting little tiny babies there are a dozen or so and I've made two groups of them on both sides of the tank. The green ric finally split a while ago. There are four separate animals there, though it looks like one big blob.

IMG_0001-Edit.jpg

IMG_0003-Edit.jpg

At some point this is going to be a big box full of monti cap with a little water in it... As the thing keeps growing I keep breaking pieces off so I can clean around it. I jam these into crevices here and there and they get right back to the business of taking over.

IMG_0004-Edit.jpg

Digi has been growing as well. Lots of fingers. Probably about 7 inches tall now, about the same in width.

IMG_0005-Edit.jpg

GSP is everywhere. Grows a lot on the undersides of monti and the monti doesn't seem to care.

IMG_0006-Edit.jpg

Monster crab on rock o' zoas.

IMG_0008-Edit.jpg

All the various 'poras have been doing well, but they don't seem to grow much.

IMG_0009-Edit.jpg

More zoas. A bunch of little starfish live in here. Legs come out when food hits the water.

IMG_0010-Edit.jpg

The mothership. Or what's left after Violinist the Hurricane comes through and breaks pieces off. Nice garden of GSP in the middle there.

IMG_0012-Edit.jpg

Wider shots of the left side of the tank and a blenny photobomb.

IMG_0015-Edit.jpg

IMG_0016-Edit.jpg

Right side. Can see the other FS in the upper right corner. Chunk of monti lying on the sand from a couple weeks ago.

IMG_0017-Edit.jpg

IMG_0018-Edit.jpg

IMG_0019-Edit.jpg

There you go. Big plans for the tank in 2013 include changing the T5's in a couple months and buying a new filter set for the rodi unit. Seeing some algae pop up here and there so I think the tds is probably creeping up.

Happy new year!

fts.jpg

I'm really happy to see your tank is still up and running V. Things have not changed a lot, but you have outlasted a lot of people with this tank. Thing seem to be going well, even though you have GSP growing everywhere :P I can't wait to see what you do with the tank in the coming new year.

Congrats, your tank looks really nice! throughout the this time, did you ever feed the goniporas or just ignored them? They look really healthy and i hear mixed thoughts of reefers only having success with the red species and through feeding phyto regularly...any truth to that in your experience? I bought this food named "Gonipower" because i planed to keep a piece in my 20 gal long as well..these tanks are so cool by the way...love them.

Thanks for the comments guys. Good to see you are still around too SoCal Jones lol.

Congrats, your tank looks really nice! throughout the this time, did you ever feed the goniporas or just ignored them? They look really healthy and i hear mixed thoughts of reefers only having success with the red species and through feeding phyto regularly...any truth to that in your experience? I bought this food named "Gonipower" because i planed to keep a piece in my 20 gal long as well..these tanks are so cool by the way...love them.

No, I don't feed any of the coral. Also haven't dosed in a very long time. To be honest, the blenny is lucky to see Rod's Food hit the tank maybe once every ten days (I'm assuming he munches on algae). There's a balance that's been reached here and no reason to tinker around with it.

If you read back through this thread, I've tried a lot of different things just like everyone has. In the end it seems like the best thing you can do for your tank is simply keep your hands out of it ;)

One thing I do remember about the gonipora, the green, is that the frogspawn killed an entire head off it in one day. So keep them far apart if you have any FS or plan to.

Thanks for the comments guys. Good to see you are still around too SoCal Jones lol.

No, I don't feed any of the coral. Also haven't dosed in a very long time. To be honest, the blenny is lucky to see Rod's Food hit the tank maybe once every ten days (I'm assuming he munches on algae). There's a balance that's been reached here and no reason to tinker around with it.

If you read back through this thread, I've tried a lot of different things just like everyone has. In the end it seems like the best thing you can do for your tank is simply keep your hands out of it ;)

One thing I do remember about the gonipora, the green, is that the frogspawn killed an entire head off it in one day. So keep them far apart if you have any FS or plan to.

Yeah you are right, and thanks for the help. The green gonis are what they call "rental coral"..last 1-2 months and bye bye

Yeah you are right, and thanks for the help. The green gonis are what they call "rental coral"..last 1-2 months and bye bye

People do a lot of stupid crap with their tanks, and since you can easily buy more there isn't a whole lot of incentive to view coral as something that's going to be sitting in there for a long time. I've had those for just under 2 years, so I wouldn't buy into the rental coral line of thinking. That says more about a lot of the people who buy them than it does about the coral imo.

People do a lot of stupid crap with their tanks, and since you can easily buy more there isn't a whole lot of incentive to view coral as something that's going to be sitting in there for a long time. I've had those for just under 2 years, so I wouldn't buy into the rental coral line of thinking. That says more about a lot of the people who buy them than it does about the coral imo.

That is true indeed. 2 years is still a long time for that coral from what i read at many places, and it is considered a success story believe it or not. Ive never owned a gonipora, but was always interested in owning one. I feel discouraged because we hear so much about how they perish with no special care. I guess you are here to prove that wrong!!

Whew, just finished the thread. Really nice to see your weight loss, great job on that!

For the tank, do you ever stir or change sand during water changes? I'm guessing no. It's incredible to see the tank looking so good after 3 years. Goni living longer than a year, no filter, just water motion, and now no skimmer, just a water change every 2 weeks. Correct?

Hope to see you post more often. :)

Looking good as always V, particularly those gonis! This tank looks like a jungle, with amazing growth on the sps particularly. I'm curious as to what t5s you are looking to get, I need to change mine out too, I was thinking ordering some from BRS.

For the tank, do you ever stir or change sand during water changes? I'm guessing no.

No. Lots of little worms living in there and they seem to keep things tidy. I did add some sand in at some point way back when after I tore down a different tank just to beef things up. My WC's are very fast assuming I'm not moving corals around. Water out, razor the front, water in. Usually done in under 10 minutes.

Looking good as always V, particularly those gonis! This tank looks like a jungle, with amazing growth on the sps particularly. I'm curious as to what t5s you are looking to get, I need to change mine out too, I was thinking ordering some from BRS.

Hey buddy! Still running Giesemann's and I order from aquacave.com because they are close and I can pick things up instead of having them shipped. Same mix of bulbs as what's in post #1 too - never did change it up.

Thanks all for the nice comments!

Your tank is my new favorite!!!!! It's amazing!!!! I happened upon a link to it in the Monthly Reef Profiles nomination thread. I agree, should be a TOTM :)

Will be taking some time over the next few days to go through the thread. 56 pages will take me more than a night :)

• 2 months later...

Archived