Top Shelf Aquatics

Drift Monkey's Picotope

Drift Monkey

Drift Monkey
That water looks pretty wet lol. Can't wait to see this thing take off. I really hope you did something to support that light fixture. These bulbs in those type fixtures always make me nervous lol. Good luck.

The light fixture has a pretty heavy base so no worries there!

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drift Monkey
Looks awesome. Can't wait to see this tank take off. What are your stocking plans?

Thanks! Well I'm thinkin' just softies at first and see where that leads me. Shrimps/crabs for sure...maybe even a pistol/goby combo!

good rock!

Thanks...these were the most interesting shapes I could find. We'll see if they end up staying like this or not. -_-

i can see a smaller pair of a goby pistol in here under this awesome rock. but you dont want to have any other inverts besides the pair. maybe some snails for CUC. a pair already strains your bioload. El Fab did manage one for a long while so its possible.

Drift Monkey
i can see a smaller pair of a goby pistol in here under this awesome rock. but you dont want to have any other inverts besides the pair. maybe some snails for CUC. a pair already strains your bioload. El Fab did manage one for a long while so its possible.

Yeah I am somewhat leery of adding any fish at all for that very reason...but it's still an option. Also thinkin' of maybe getting on the sexy train too, and I really like porcelain crabs. So many choices...

you could do a big hammer/torch centerpiece on top of that rock there and have 3 porcelains on it. but again no other inverts save some snails as CUC. then maybe zoas down the sides and it would look great :)

The light fixture has a pretty heavy base so no worries there!

Can you post a side shot showing the dimensions of your tank and modded ac70? Considering something similar for my tank if current in-tank media box plans don't follow through. Thanks!

Edit, from your recent pics it looks like you didn't do one. I may be wrong :D

Drift Monkey

My AC70 is actually not on right now because I had to re-silicone the overflow screen back on so it's still curing. However, I put it on just for you! :P

197903_10150131849066137_519406136_6546854_2439622_n.jpg

Hope that helps you!

My AC70 is actually not on right now because I had to re-silicone the overflow screen back on so it's still curing. However, I put it on just for you! :P

197903_10150131849066137_519406136_6546854_2439622_n.jpg

Hope that helps you!

Thanks, confirms that it is HUGE :D

Lol nice. So the pico is officially back to life. omgomgomg Yea the AC70 is a monster on out picos lol. But it is awesome to have.

Drift Monkey
Lol nice. So the pico is officially back to life. omgomgomg Yea the AC70 is a monster on out picos lol. But it is awesome to have.

Yup! I'm psyched! :wub: It's definitely nice to have...if the AC110 would fit I'd probably would have used it! :lol:

I think my AC is a 50 not a 70. So I ought to replace that as soon as I can. Looks like a monster on that tank.

The upside of additional water volume is alone worth it! Watch out for the additional flow though...

Drift,

Didnt know you had a pico and that it went bad on you. Ive had tanks do the same to me before. Im glad to see you are up and running again. Can you please give me all the details on the light and lamp you are using?

Drift Monkey
Drift,

Didnt know you had a pico and that it went bad on you. Ive had tanks do the same to me before. Im glad to see you are up and running again. Can you please give me all the details on the light and lamp you are using?

Yeah...it happens I suppose. I suspect some of the bad stuff may have come from local reefer's frags/chaeto...so lesson learned.

I'm using Evil's PAR38 Lamp - 20k w/60 degree optics. The architect's lamp I got from OfficeMax...it's way better than the clamp on one I got from Ikea back then.

brandolando4

i really like your tank, cant wait to see it filled up!! I didn't read through everything, but u planning on any fish????

I love your rock work. For whatever reason scapes that have no depth to them bother me. They just don't seem to look as good, but you've pulled off a nice look here. Do you have a top down shot by chance? Also are you planning on adding a sand bed?

I'm using Evil's PAR38 Lamp - 20k w/60 degree optics. The architect's lamp I got from OfficeMax...it's way better than the clamp on one I got from Ikea back then.

All I can find for Evil is PAR38 w/40 degree optics (20K or 12K).. Nop options for 60 or 80 degree. Was it not on nanotuners?

Drift Monkey

All I can find for Evil is PAR38 w/40 degree optics (20K or 12K).. Nop options for 60 or 80 degree. Was it not on nanotuners?

Yeah they stopped selling them pre-installed with different optics...but they aren't too hard to change out if you wanted to go that route. They still sell the optics separately...

Drift Monkey
I love your rock work. For whatever reason scapes that have no depth to them bother me. They just don't seem to look as good, but you've pulled off a nice look here. Do you have a top down shot by chance? Also are you planning on adding a sand bed?

I really appreciate it. I agree...I am kinda particular about scapes. To be honest I was somewhat unsure about how I even liked my current scape, but it really looks much better in person than the pictures show. The pictures make it looks real flat but it has much more depth. Maybe I'll bust out my better camera (non-iphone :P) and get some better shots for y'all. Maybe once I get my sand in.

Here's a top down shot for ya!

199334_10150132666146137_519406136_6553558_342777_n.jpg

I also think the scape looks awesome. The crescent shape rockwork is definitely my favorite. Now its time to add some sand.

Agree with gritchie. Thats an awesome crescent scape. ;) Better than I can current;y come up with

Can we get an up-skir.. I mean straight on shot (FTS)?

Archived