Cultivated Reef

jbm's 5.5g aio

JBM

Mr. Microscope

Good to see an update JBM. I hope your new frags are doing well. What is that paly in front? Looks like a GBP? Let's see some close-ups of your new stuff.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you are correct Mr.Microscope. That is infact gsp. i got that & the blue/greenish mushroom from a lfs for $14 ($7 each)

as i've said before, im moving & still havent found the good camera, nor has the tank been moved yet.

all in due time.

also need suggestions on beefing up my cuc. Right now i have 1 certh snail (yea thats it) maybe a nazarius? trying to stay away from hermits

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

So the move was a 95% success. Only lost 1 coral (the gsp) in the move. So over all i am very very happy.

Since the move, i have re-aquascaped & set up the infamous "petco" ato. I dont know if i like the aquascape yet. I might re arange it again for more of the single island look. The tank is a peninsula type tank after all (viewable on three sides).

Also now my mother inlaw wants to see "movement" in the tank. So i am in the process of looking for a 1-2 month old false percula clown. One that is off rotifiers & on mysis, possibly begining to eat frozen & flake.

As a side thought, i am begining to think that the 2x9w pc light isnt cutting the mustard. What fixture would be good in a 12",16" or 18" length. A custom hood with a third 9w pc isnt out of the question.

Sorry bout the gsp but glad you moved everything else well. No idea on the light. My thoughts are don't get a clown get something more exciting LOL

I am not sure what you should get. Need something that swims around. My canary blenny swims all day. Even a scooter blenny is fun and active. Hey it's your tank your decision.

Mr. Microscope
Update:

As a side thought, i am begining to think that the 2x9w pc light isnt cutting the mustard. What fixture would be good in a 12",16" or 18" length. A custom hood with a third 9w pc isnt out of the question.

Nanocustoms Barebones mini T5 setup

There's a 12 or 18 inch option.

badfish816

the workhorse 5 ballast that comes with the barebones kit does fire the vho bulbs. i plan on retroing 3-4 into my current dual fixture over my picotope. right now i have 4 18inch t5's over it and my corals are doing just fine.

how much was he? I'm looking for a small clown too but they're like $30.00 minimum in my area >_<

how much was he? I'm looking for a small clown too but they're like $30.00 minimum in my area >_<

$10 from a local reefer who breeds clowns. It's only 3-4 weeks old and it's just shy of 1" long from tail to mouth. So it isnt exactly a beginer fish yet. Still potential for problems due to it's small size & not eatting anything other than vitamin enriched mysis. I've kept many clowns in my day so im not worried.

• 2 weeks later...

found a t5 nova extreme quite possibly gonna pick it up. Only time shall tell. Ever since nano tunners rolled out there new uv bulbs i've been wanting t5's

So i got out bid on the nova t5 fixture (*^*&%$&*^@)

it's ok tho, another member was selling a 10"x6"x1" heat sink which i picked up

wonder what that could mean?

anyways talk is cheap & a picture says 1,000 words. SO..........

37686_452438295738_600630738_6107342_6874010_n.jpg

thanks weetie & bible sue for the 2 frags

35326_452438300738_600630738_6107343_6061138_n.jpg

picture shows the new home & layout of the tank. Also shows my petco ato (which works awesomely)

37686_452438305738_600630738_6107344_4466236_n.jpg

Yes thats my bed less than 2 feet away

37686_452438315738_600630738_6107346_4864263_n.jpg

good shot from my bed

37686_452438320738_600630738_6107347_5226012_n.jpg

If your wondering where my sole acan frag is. It's still in the tank, but on the back side of that mountain. I've found that 9wx2 of cf just doesnt cut it, so i had to move the frag way up. It's maybe 4" away from the light.

Yipeee for pics. Looks great love that it's by the bed. I have my 12gl next to my bed. I fall asleep everynight watching the fish and corals. Hope the house is doing you well.

The house is doing well. Thanks for asking.

bought 2 more frags from John @ reefcleaners.

pics when they come in

Cool beans I need to get me some things from him. Happy the house is doing you well I must cpome visit soon to check it out.

it's ok tho, another member was selling a 10"x6"x1" heat sink which i picked up

wonder what that could mean?

I like this :D LED is going to look great over your tank.

37686_452438295738_600630738_6107342_6874010_n.jpg

thanks weetie & bible sue for the 2 frags

your mushroom looks just like mine. it stands up like a trumpet. most mushrooms i see are lying flat.

i have a 5.5 also with the 2x9w coralife. it was working good for me but i just upgraded to the 18" current nova extreme. i love it. even with the stock bulbs its awesome. i guess double the wattage does help.

Nice heatsink ;)

I think its cause theyre stretching for light. Mines under the rock in the shade while it gets adjusted to my tank. I'll let him loose soon though :)

also, whatd you do with the 2x9?

yeah, i think it is because they are stretching for light. i've had the nova extreme for a little over a week and my mushrooms seem to be flatter.

the 2x9w is in the closet.

Archived