Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

jbm's 5.5g aio

JBM

*** Rebirth starts on pg 22

So logically an upgrade would be going to a bigger tank right?

Not in my case. I'm tired & bored of my 40 breeder. So I'll be setting up a 5.5 aga in the next few weeks.

Altho I am pretty good with my hands & diy type things. I'm going to be supporting other members with this build. CoRps aka Brett is going to be building my aio to custom specs ( maybe then he will finish his 20L ). Eventually I'll contact Evil for a led fixture or retro.

Ok so the short & long of the build is as follows:

5.5g aio display is 11.75x8x10

Custom media rack 2-tiered

Maxi-jet 600

7 watt heater

dual loc line

2 x 9w mini light. upgrading to wider optic par38 bulb once it's ready for purchase

took a couple of scoops of sand from my 40b idk how much sand i have, nor do i know how much rock is in there right now. 6 lbs has been ordered from reef cleaners.

The goal or idea behind this tank is crazy colors. I'd say there is a 90% chance of NO fish. Rare & exotic zoas, crazy colored rics & acan will be what I want to keep.

I'll add pictures & update as I gather more materials.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the early days

12/7/2009

14544_220623635738_600630738_4143444_2681884_n.jpg

12/19/2009

added 4 lbs of reef bones from reefcleaners.org

14544_237976360738_600630738_4215933_6166371_n.jpg

3/27/2010

25263_409447820738_600630738_5003938_6564111_n.jpg

6/17/2010 (it's a bad fts i know

36382_438580260738_600630738_5749791_6763111_n.jpg

8/9/2010 (1 month after move & 1st day of led light)

38819_458543490738_600630738_6282358_4158938_n.jpg

8/17/2010

44867_461910620738_600630738_6375166_4517847_n.jpg

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This post will be updated with a running tally of every penny I put into this tank; in hopes to show others how much it really costs to start up & maintain a pico. All of these figures include Ny state tax, but do not include shipping where applicable.

5.5g from petland - $13.01

Custom built aio & lid from CoRPS - $60

Maxi-jet 600 - $18.99

Plumbing parts for spray bar return - **went with a dual loc-line** plumbing was $29 from Dr Foster.

Pico heater - $5

Lighting - $25

Total spent thus far - $122.00

** this does not include sand or salt for w/c as I had recently purchased a 5g bucket of marin salt. The salt was $54.50 after taxes (makes aprox 220 gallons)

*** I will most likely take sand from my 40b as it is already seeded, so add another $10 if you see fit.

So in reality I've spent $186.50 for the tank.

This does not include live rock, media, timer, paint or a power strip.

--------------------------

So rock cost me $21 from reefcleaners.org

Bag of poly fill cost me $5 from wally world

+ the $29 for plumbing

add an additional $55

total thus far $241

Warehouse41Ant

I'm curious, because I want to setup a 5.5 aio as well....what is your custom built AIO, and where would I go about getting one? I'm going to try the diy thing, but I tend to be better with just buying. Haha.

Good luck on the tank! Can't wait to see it progress. Pics when you can!

I would contact CoRPs (he posted in this very thread) on specific pricing & what you need to get started.

I say that the aio he is building is custom in the fact that:

-It's being built to what I want, not what is easy for him to build.

-It's layed out the way I want. Meaning it has things I specifically want like a dual media rack (to my specifications) on the intake side.

While I do agree, DIY is great & I love those type of projects. I realized that having a 18-19 month old baby; who mind you puts everything in her mouth. Is not conducive to having acrylic glue & sharp knives around the house. So the job went to Brett (aka CoRPs).

Believe me, many,many,many pictures will be taken of this coral only tank (unless I find a mated pair of yellow or green clown gobies).

It will become home to the very rare & expensive lps & zoa's. Maybe, maybe a mushroom variety.

I'm curious, because I want to setup a 5.5 aio as well....what is your custom built AIO, and where would I go about getting one? I'm going to try the diy thing, but I tend to be better with just buying. Haha.

Good luck on the tank! Can't wait to see it progress. Pics when you can!

I can't wait to see this. It's going to be awesome. Have fun putting it all together. I hear ya on the baby and stuff in the mouth. They are a handful and more. Your daughter is so cute!!!

So after some debate last night; I'm ditching the spraybar idea. It's a great feature on larger tanks. However I just don't see it being practical in a tank this small. Going to use a dual loc-line return instead.

So that way I have 2 different circulation points. One for agitating the surface & the other for display circulation.

That's it for now. Maybe another teaser or two tonight

At a stand still in the build. Couldn't find a bulkhead or loc-line locally. MarineDepot ftw!

Parts should arrive on the 12th. Gettin a wee bit excited for the build.

All I have to figure out is the stand ( if one at all ). If I make a stand it will have to be high enough to keep away from a baby. Alas I might just put it up on a dresser. Decisions, decisions

So after some debate last night; I'm ditching the spraybar idea. It's a great feature on larger tanks. However I just don't see it being practical in a tank this small. Going to use a dual loc-line return instead.

I have used both spray bars and loc-lines on smaller tanks.

I like the loc-lines cause they are easy to configure and adjustable but they are a little expensive.

Whenever I did a spray bar in a smaller tank I used 1/2" CPVC -- 1/2" MPT are 1/2" threads regardless, so you can use a threaded adapter to screw into a threaded bulkhead. The CPVC is a lot smaller then regular PVC and can handle the pressure for a small tank spray bar.

Still my next setup I'm building at the moment will use loc-lines.

Tagging along for the ride. --- Charles

Hopefully Brett (corps) gets ahold of me today. Should be giving me the final shipping quote. YAY!!!!!!!!

I don't want to disapoint anyone. This tank will not see a cycle till early next year. While it will be built by the end of the month & FW tested. I don't want to start anything without having all of my equipment ready.

I am really starting to get interested in the RKL. I feel that it will help me keep this tank very stable.

I don't want to disapoint anyone. This tank will not see a cycle till early next year. While it will be built by the end of the month & FW tested. I don't want to start anything without having all of my equipment ready.

I am really starting to get interested in the RKL. I feel that it will help me keep this tank very stable.

I agree on both points. My current build is going slow cause of the high end equipment I want. I too want everything in place before I crank it up (did FW tank test this past weekend.)

I have also been looking into a RKL especially since I just gave my son my JBJ ATO for use on his setup.

SO to continue with interesting things in this thread. I stumbled across somebody that makes customs rocks on another forum. I kinda like it.

DSC08216.jpg

i could totally see it covered in zoas & other nice things. but then again it is a "custom" rock which is probably made form concrete. I dont want to deal with high PH.

meh, i need to have my eyes surgically removed so i stop looking at things i dont need to buy

No don't do it. No to concrete. I hear ya on having all the equipment. Thats what I did. I slowly over months started getting things for the tank.

Archived