SaltCritters.com

jbm's 5.5g aio

JBM

Well; I'm gonna need to re-think the inhabitants of this tank. I woke up to see one of the gobies swiming in the return area, well 3 minutes later. It got stuck in the pump.

So I siphoned it out & returned it to the tank.

Just got home & sure enough, a goby is stuck in the pump again. I siphoned it out, but it's belly was all chewed up & it wasn't breathing.

I'm gonna wait it out to see if the other goby stays in the tank. If it does, maybe in a few weeks I'll add something else. However if it also decided to jump ship, I won't be adding anything else "fish wise" to this tank.

Grr

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aww, sorry to hear about the bum luck. That is such an awesome pair of gobies. I haven't seen YCG mated pairs like that before. Would love to get my hands on a pair. Good luck figuring out how to keep the fishies out of the back.

It made me sad, it really did. But on a brighter note, the other one is still in the tank. I checked both intake & return sides before I left for work. Gonna let the tank simmer till the new year. Do a 10% w/c, then get a cool frag.

The whole set up seems to be working very nicely. No major quirks or design flaws. I think I need more light tho. But I'm going to wait till the new year & see how a zoa frag acts in the tank.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Happy new year to all.

Quick update:

All is well with the tank. The coralife 2x9w light is doing well (in my opinion) with the 6.5k & 420nm combo. My 3 corals are all healthy & opening very wide daily.

Evap is non existant with the lid. Temps stay between 78.8 & 79.9.

The single goby is doing well & eatting. I recently tried a flake mix (prime reef & algae flake mix) it seemed interested but didn't eat much. It would eat, spit out. Then re-eat. I also tried freeze dried mysis from reefcleaners.org (same result) So I think I will stick with frozen meaty food stuffs. I add garlic xtreme to the food I feed (1 drop). The little guy is brightly colored all day (not pale) & is perching out in the open more.

Cuc is still just 1 nazarius snail. It seems to be doing the job well. I might add 1 or 2 certh snails for good measure.

I'm curently growing some brown palys (sparkly bright green center) in my 40 breeder which I might frag & add a few polyps to the 5g.

Other than that I won't be doing much. I don't run carbon or dose anything. I just change the polyfiber when it gets dirty or every 3 days (which ever comes first).

More pictures when I get a chance.

Mark

• 1 month later...

Update.

Tank is doing very well. I recently added the sparkly brown palys from the 40b (the whole colony). Everything is very happy. Most of the rock from reefcleaners is starting to develop coraline algae. It has some nice reds & a few purple specks.

The goby is now eatting 2x daily mysis shrimp & flake food during the week. On the weekends I feed it 3x (mysis, flake, mysis) It swims openly at times, but mostly just does the goby thing. I don't thinks it's starving (stomach is not sunken in) so I'll continue this feeding regimine, it seems to work. I just find it funny that an entire cube of mysis lasts me a whole week (7 days of feeding) with some left over. After that I dump it out for freshness.

I still don't dose anything & I still don't run anything but the mj900 & some polyfill.

On a positive note, my frogspawn has almost doubled in size since I added it to this tank. I might add a small piece of gps, but I am hesitant. Still haven't found any acans locally that are worth being added into this tank.

Fts & other pictures soon I promise.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

due to the storm of last weekend & losing power for 3 1/2 days

the clown goby, 2 red mushrooms & frog spawn have passed on.

i had heat packs taped to the tank & it was wrapped in a blanket to try & keep the tank temp up, but temps dropped to 68 degrees & im almost positive that the cold killed the goby.

i will forge forward with the tank, but it will now remain fishless & be coral only

Man that stinks you lost power. Over here we were very lucky. you should've called me I would've put the stuff in my tank for ya . Or we could've set up a little one till your power came back so sorry

• 2 weeks later...

PICHER UPDATE

(cause i is bak & teh awesum!)

now on a serious note, everything survived the 3 day power outage & is coming back. The frogspawn looked like poo poo for a couple of days to a week, but is now back strong

25263_409447820738_600630738_5003938_6564111_n.jpg

25263_409447840738_600630738_5003942_4925715_n.jpg

25263_409447850738_600630738_5003944_2126290_n.jpg

25263_409447855738_600630738_5003945_5872804_n.jpg

25263_409448055738_600630738_5003948_5966062_n.jpg

and a fts

25263_409448060738_600630738_5003949_1343286_n.jpg

gonna go back to my lfs soon & pick up a whole bunch of $7 frags

pets warehouse has $7 frags, $8.63 after tax.

they have some zoas & mini chalices etc. they also have $18 frags & $35 frags. obviously as price goes up the better the frags. acans for $45

im gonna be going back in a day or to cause they had a pink torch that they just fragged out. But besides that i picked up a 5-6 head pinkish zoa frag (it doesnt look good right now) was open in the store but is now all closed up... if it's not open by wednesday im going to get my $ back. Im hoping it's just the change from 250w mh to 18w pc.

the pink torch looked awesome.

So the new $7 frag looks promising. It finally opened all the way up in my tank. I took some pics before I turned the light off for the night. Put them up tonight

• 2 months later...

bring this back form the dead.

alot has happened since i last posted. The frog spawn kicked the bucket, but the mushrooms, palys & pink zoas are still alive & kicking.

I bought a house, will be moving within the month (so the 40br is getting sold off) but i will keep the pico. Going to add a small intank fuge basket for cheato & a maxi-jet 606 for more flow. Planing on adding in a fan to keep temps down (they've been sitting at 80-81* lately & thats with no heater)

it's been a bit hectic, so i might not have pics anytime soon.

• 2 weeks later...

despite the fast aproaching move. I got the itch to pick up a slew of corals. got a hell of a deal on frag pack from a local reefer (4 frags of various mid priced zoas). Then also picked up another 2 $7 frag from a lfs ( gsp & a blue green mushroom). Also bought some cheato from a NR member.

Tank looks epic now. Once i find my digi in one of these dam boxes i'll take some pics & post em up. Tank has certainly come a long way from october.

bad fuzzy fts with a borrowed camera that like 90% broken.

36382_438580260738_600630738_5749791_6763111_n.jpg

also updated first post with mutiple fts

Archived