Pod Your Reef

Clownfish14's Nano Cube HQI

clownfish14

Mushrooms are probably the easiest corals to care for. Don't need to be fed, hardy, and beautiful. I've had one of my anemone's walk all over a colony of shrooms and the colony stuck in there. Very hardy coral.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mushrooms are probably the easiest corals to care for. Don't need to be fed, hardy, and beautiful. I've had one of my anemone's walk all over a colony of shrooms and the colony stuck in there. Very hardy coral.

ya but mushrooms are boring they have no color that is why i like the acan and zoas they have lots of color.

so what do you think?

I honestly think you should stop asking opinion, read more, and buy what YOU think will fit in your tank.

I'm glad I ran across this thread. There is INVALUABLE information here for anyone who might feel a little perfunctory with their tank.

ya but mushrooms are boring they have no color that is why i like the acan and zoas they have lots of color.

Wai-what? No color? They're only color! Ric's are extraordinarily beautiful IMO.

lg-84237-mushroom.jpg

These reds really "pop" in our system:

lg-39397-mushroom-coral.jpg

lg-39388-mushroom-coral.jpg

Rics:

lg-80384-ricordea-coral.jpg

Wai-what? No color? They're only color! Ric's are extraordinarily beautiful IMO.

lg-84237-mushroom.jpg

These reds really "pop" in our system:

lg-39397-mushroom-coral.jpg

lg-39388-mushroom-coral.jpg

Rics:

lg-80384-ricordea-coral.jpg

ya your right. ok i will think about it

I honestly think you should stop asking opinion, read more, and buy what YOU think will fit in your tank.

I'm glad I ran across this thread. There is INVALUABLE information here for anyone who might feel a little perfunctory with their tank.

im asking opinions because i want to here what other people have to say about them that are not just trying to sell me somthing

I have to agree. It's not like the opinion is listened to anyway.

As far as flow the corals you listed should be fine, but considering that you're new at this I'd be hesitant to add more expensive stuff. Start basic and work your way up. Losing a $3 mushroom is much easier on the wallet and ego than a nice $300 acan colony.

Militant Jurist

Be careful with mushies though. They tend to grow EVERYWHERE and will interfere with other corals down the road. I refuse to put a single mushroom in my 29g, because they are a bit problematic in my 20L. Surely you can find some nice $10 frags of LPS from local reefers, or NR members.

Be careful with mushies though. They tend to grow EVERYWHERE and will interfere with other corals down the road. I refuse to put a single mushroom in my 29g, because they are a bit problematic in my 20L. Surely you can find some nice $10 frags of LPS from local reefers, or NR members.

i agree i cant stand how they spread. and i found a 20 dollar acan at my frag store so i think im going to go with that.

Militant Jurist
i agree i cant stand how they spread. and i found a 20 dollar acan at my frag store so i think im going to go with that.

Make sure you also check the Livestock Classified here. It seems like California folks always have great deals in that part of the forum, so you could even save on shipping.

Hey Guys

I haven't had a real update in a while so i thought why not do one.

my tank is doing great my rocks have no algae on them at all and my fish are doing great. i have been thinking about putting in some cheato and LR in the middle compartment so i started reading about refugiums and how they work. then i got an idea i have a freshwater tank with just a couple of chiclids in it and i thought why not take that tank down since it not to intreasting anymore and use the tank as a refugium and put it below the main tank. i thought this was a great idea so i started taking measurments and drawing out a plan. here it is :D

refugiumjpg.jpg

after i drew this i wrote down all the suplies i would need and since christmas and my birthday are right around the corner i think i could get it set up.

the list

1P381951 PAR38 Reflector 19 Watt / 5100K

acrilic

lite socket

timer

reef safe silicone

live sand

Coralife Super Skimmer Needle Wheel - up to 125 Gallon

cheato

power head

thats all thats up with my tank right now and i plan on getting pics up somtime next week

thanks,

clownfish14

ps please let me know if there is anything else i would need.

Make sure you also check the Livestock Classified here. It seems like California folks always have great deals in that part of the forum, so you could even save on shipping.

ok i will take a look thanks :D

There is absolutely no reason you should be deleting your old posts and re-bumping the thread. If nobody replies, deal with it.

ok sorry geez :huh:

thanks for the comment.

when I think mushroom I think ugly brown thing too but apparently they're not all like that (just most of the ones available locally here)

thanks for the comment.

when I think mushroom I think ugly brown thing too but apparently they're not all like that (just most of the ones available locally here)

ya same with me brown and ugly thats why im going with some zoas and acan

ya same with me brown and ugly thats why im going with some zoas and acan

Hmm, I wouldn't recomend getting into acans favia etc. I'm sorry if i missed your lighting post or anything but make sure you can grow that sort of coral.

my 12G JBJ has been running for 11 months and I just started adding corals.

Great corals for people such as ourselves (the noobs) include;

Frogspawn (sweeper tentacles place away from other corals.)

Ricordea Florida

Assorted Mushrooms

Zoas

leathers.

Also, if your determined on a anenome I'd research bubble tip, I hear they are good for noobs.

I plan on getting one once my algae problem is taken care of.

Hmm, I wouldn't recomend getting into acans favia etc. I'm sorry if i missed your lighting post or anything but make sure you can grow that sort of coral.

my 12G JBJ has been running for 11 months and I just started adding corals.

Great corals for people such as ourselves (the noobs) include;

Frogspawn (sweeper tentacles place away from other corals.)

Ricordea Florida

Assorted Mushrooms

Zoas

leathers.

Also, if your determined on a anenome I'd research bubble tip, I hear they are good for noobs.

I plan on getting one once my algae problem is taken care of.

ok thanks my plan was zoas or acan so i will go with zoas. and my last anenome was my last ever they are to hard to take care of.

well i think my refugium idea will work i figured out how to keep it from overflowing and have decided on a light. all i have to do now is go out and get the supplies needed to build it. by the way do you guys know if home depot sells aquarium safe silicone?

thanks,

clownfish14

I'D suggest searching to see what other members have used then calling your local home depot.

ya i think thats what im going to do

thanks,

clownfish14

well i think my refugium idea will work i figured out how to keep it from overflowing and have decided on a light. all i have to do now is go out and get the supplies needed to build it. by the way do you guys know if home depot sells aquarium safe silicone?

thanks,

clownfish14

yes, i picked mine up from lowes and lowes and home depot have virtually the same stuff...ill post the name when i get home and look

yes, i picked mine up from lowes and lowes and home depot have virtually the same stuff...ill post the name when i get home and look

ok great thanks

as a update do you guys want to see some pics of my tank? its changed alot

Your local Ace Hardware probably carries silicone too-

I picked some up there today :)

ok great i will go see if i can find some today

Archived