SaltCritters.com

Clownfish14's Nano Cube HQI

clownfish14

Militant Jurist
:D just a quick question what coral would you recomend for me next? :huh:

I'd stick with LPS or softies. You could always go with zoas, which are very easy to keep. As far as LPS goes, trumpet/candy cane, torches/frogspawns, or duncans are always good choices. If you want something that encrusts, chalices can get fun. Although chalices are a bit more pricey (they are the latest fad it seems), and a bit harder to frag compared to the others.

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd stick with LPS or softies. You could always go with zoas, which are very easy to keep. As far as LPS goes, trumpet/candy cane, torches/frogspawns, or duncans are always good choices. If you want something that encrusts, chalices can get fun. Although chalices are a bit more pricey (they are the latest fad it seems), and a bit harder to frag compared to the others.

ok great i definatly like the zoas and the frogspawns so i will look into thoes thanks. :D

Militant Jurist

The only word of caution with the frogs and torch corals is that they need a lot of room. They have some pretty wicked sweeper corals that can do a lot of damage.

The only word of caution with the frogs and torch corals is that they need a lot of room. They have some pretty wicked sweeper corals that can do a lot of damage.

ya thats what i was just reading i think i will stick with zoas for now. :D

Slow down, you just started to have some success. Be happy with that!

dont worry im not planning on getting anything until after christmas. and i am happy see :D:lol::P lol

Militant Jurist

With the zoas, just don't get caught up in names. Some places jack the price up for named zoa. Personally, I don't pay more than $15 or $20 for a 1.5" or so frag that is covered in zoas.

cheryl jordan
ya thats what i was just reading i think i will stick with zoas for now. :D

dont worry im not planning on getting anything until after christmas. and i am happy see :D:lol::P lol

Oh my god after all this you have made me proud. To anyone who does not know what I am talking about read the ENTIRE thread. :D

Oh my god after all this you have made me proud. To anyone who does not know what I am talking about read the ENTIRE thread. :D

thanks im glad im doing somthing right lol :D

With the zoas, just don't get caught up in names. Some places jack the price up for named zoa. Personally, I don't pay more than $15 or $20 for a 1.5" or so frag that is covered in zoas.

ok thanks for the info the guy that i like to go to for frags gives them to me for around 15 so i think im good with the price :P now i just have to make a decision an which one i like the best (he has like 50 diffrent types) :o

Ya thats putting it kindly :P thats rediculous and they weren't even that nice.

man that sucks is that your only lfs near you?

Militant Jurist

I'm not surprised. Zoas and chalices are the fad items right now. Even ric mushrooms tend to be pricey per polyp. Typically, it's just priced that way to say that you too have this particular coral. That's why I go for odd ball corals that no one else has, like my cladocora or the elephant skin coral. :P Most people are like WTF? I've never seen that before, so it can't be cool. I, on the other hand, tend to think, sweet, I'll have what hardly anyone else has! ;)

I'm not surprised. Zoas and chalices are the fad items right now. Even ric mushrooms tend to be pricey per polyp. Typically, it's just priced that way to say that you too have this particular coral. That's why I go for odd ball corals that no one else has, like my cladocora or the elephant skin coral. :P Most people are like WTF? I've never seen that before, so it can't be cool. I, on the other hand, tend to think, sweet, I'll have what hardly anyone else has! ;)

agreed I like all the odd ball ones too

nice stock

thanks ya I like it to I just wish I had more coral it needs more color.

It's the best lfs near me. I've been searching for some good place to order coral from in Canada but all I've found is sps places.

It's the best lfs near me. I've been searching for some good place to order coral from in Canada but all I've found is sps places.

That sucks I guess I'm lucky I have like 4 diffrent LFS around me but there is only one that I really like.

HEY

ok so since i put in the nano glow and the cheato i have been trying to figure out where to put all of the filteration like the carbon and poly fill. i could not use the normal filter box that used to go in the middle chamber where the cheato is now because it is to long and it would crush the cheato so i took the saw and cut off the bottom portion of the box so that it would fit into the chamber. now i have the sponge on top then polly fill and then my carbon. B)

Hey

long time no update :lol:

ok so as i said before i was going to wait until after christmas to get more corals. well its after christmas and i have new corals yay :D here are some pics B)

Yellow polyp :o

DSC_0360.jpg

DSC_0361.jpg

kenya leather :D

DSC_0364.jpg

DSC_0365.jpg

kenya+yellow polyp :)

DSC_0366.jpg

Ricordia muhroom :o

DSC_0368.jpg

and now my older fish and corals get the spotlight :P

DSC_0369.jpg

DSC_0370.jpg

DSC_0371.jpg

DSC_0372.jpg

DSC_0373.jpg

FTS

DSC_0374.jpg

Thanks for looking,

clownfish14

Very nice pics! I love that kenya too. Everyone looks happy in there :happy: .

yep they are all looking happy thanks for the compliments.

ps i like the kenya too and it was only 8 dollars :o

ok so i have been thinking about my lights now that i have coral in my tank and i was wondering how long i should have the lights on for? right now i am running them from 11am to 9pm ( 10 hours ) is this long enough? also i have been looking into an ATO but i need it to be a cheap setup because i dont have tons of money right now. any ideas?

thanks,

clownfish14

10 hours is the max you would want them on for or you risk too much algae. Mine at home is on for about 10 hours but mine at the office is only on for 9.

As far as the ATO, are you any good with DIY projects? I made a nice ATO out of an old laptop charger, a 12v relay and a float. I prettied it up some and have it running my pump when the float gets too low. I posted a rough digram on MJs thread but I can pm them to you if you want. Either that or go with a Reefkeeper and it will run your ATO for you among other things (not cheap though lol)

:oVideo :o

Ok so i have been putting together a little timeline video of my tank let me know what you think :D

Thanks,

clownfish14

Archived