Coral Vue Hydros

Clownfish14's Nano Cube HQI

clownfish14

B) Hey all of you experts out there B)

I need some help this brownish stuff is spreading all over my tank i was told they are called diatoms. I need to know should I add my cleanup crew now or wait until I am sure my cycle is over. My water test is the same as a cupple of posts ago.

Thanks,

clownfish14

Still need help with this

Thanks,

clownfish14

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could be caused by silicates in the sand. At any rate, a good CuC will take care of it. Nothing you need to worry too much about it.

snails and hermits are typical CuC material. Reefcleaners.org is supposedly great, although I haven't used them (yet).

As far as fish, take it slow. Add one fish at a time with plenty of time to adjust for the increased bioload.

I don't have a BC14, but when the overflow occurs does the water fall enough to take on oxygen? It dosen't need that much, although breaking the surface tension is never a bad idea.

thanks for the info yes the water in the back does fall a little i think its enough. but should i add my clean up crew now or later? and are the diatoms a sign that the cycle is done? what type of stuff is a good clean up crew and how many of each would i need? the sand does not have any silicant in it i checked before i bought it.

thanks,

clownfish14 :D

ok thanks what type of things would you sugest for my CuC

Personally, I'm a fan of all types of snails. I've got crabs in my 40g but they can be a PITA sometimes.

Militant Jurist
ok what about limpets and chitons and hermit crabs and what does pita mean

Thanks,

clownfish14

Limpets and chitons would be fine I'd think. My new CUC (arriving hopefully tomorrow from John at ReefCleaners) will be an all snail CUC consisting of cerith, nerite, and nassarius snails. I'd seriously avoid hermit crabs, as they are snail killers.

PITA = pain in the arse ;)

Militant Jurist
thanks for the info

man that was close i almost bought 5 hermit crabs and 5 snails today

No problem. Glad to help! Keep the questions coming, and keep us updated as well!

OK... great rockscape! It looks wonderful.

Diatoms are natural thing that happens when you cycle. You should ride it out.

Don't add cleanup crew now.

Let diatom overtake your tank. in a week or two it will die away on its own. then you do waterchage and begin stocking your tank.

about how long should i leave my lights on for and is iy better to mix up how long they are on or keep it steady

Still need help with this

Thanks,

clownfish14

:lol: Hey guys ;)

Well i haven't posted in a while so i thought i would update you guys a little.\

My tank looks great it is now over run by diatoms but the are not making as many bubbles as they were at the start. Scooby my fish is doing great he sure is hyper he's swimming around alot and he loves the brine shrimp that i feed him. The next thing i am going to do once i get some more money ;) is get rid of the filter and put in live rock sand and cheto this is the diagram that i am going by:

post-47964-1256851929_thumb.jpg

Let me know what you think

I also need help with picking out a light for the cheto in the back it cant be to expensive because i want to have money left over to buy fish and corals.

Thanks for the help and here are some more pics

clownfish14

FTS

post-47964-1256852211_thumb.jpg

This is a pic of the return pumps is this a good position?

post-47964-1256852255_thumb.jpg

Fish

post-47964-1256852313_thumb.jpg

PS: How do you make the pics so they don't get reduced? and how do you put the link to your tank sight in your sign signature?

:lol: Hey guys ;)

Well i haven't posted in a while so i thought i would update you guys a little.\

My tank looks great it is now over run by diatoms but the are not making as many bubbles as they were at the start. Scooby my fish is doing great he sure is hyper he's swimming around alot and he loves the brine shrimp that i feed him. The next thing i am going to do once i get some more money ;) is get rid of the filter and put in live rock sand and cheto this is the diagram that i am going by:

post-47964-1256851929_thumb.jpg

Let me know what you think

I also need help with picking out a light for the cheto in the back it cant be to expensive because i want to have money left over to buy fish and corals.

Thanks for the help and here are some more pics

clownfish14

FTS

post-47964-1256852211_thumb.jpg

This is a pic of the return pumps is this a good position?

post-47964-1256852255_thumb.jpg

Fish

post-47964-1256852313_thumb.jpg

PS: How do you make the pics so they don't get reduced? and how do you put the link to your tank sight in your sign signature?

Still need help

Militant Jurist

Check out inTank (a NR sponsor run by StevieT). They have a very good cheato light that I don't think is very expensive, if I recall correctly.

Hey guys

My tank is looking awsome the diatomes are going away or they are at least not creating as many bubbles.

When do you think i should put in my CuC? i will get some water tests later today.

For now here are some pics

post-47964-1257106196_thumb.jpg

post-47964-1257106426_thumb.jpg

sorry guys didnt get to the water tests tonight to tired from the halloween party i put on I will do them tommrow evening

B) Hey B)

Well I now have enough money for a CuC :D any ideas on what to get? I want it to look good in the tank.

Any help will be great ;)

Thanks,

clownfish14 :lol:

Militant Jurist
B) Hey B)

Well I now have enough money for a CuC :D any ideas on what to get? I want it to look good in the tank.

Any help will be great ;)

Thanks,

clownfish14 :lol:

Awesome! I would suggest nerite, cerith and nassarius snails for the CUC. Nerite are good for cleaning the glass, cerith are good for stirring the sand and cleaning the rock, and nassarius are good scavengers and they look like zombies when food hits the water! I would avoid all forms of hermit crabs, as they are the devil. I would also avoid astrea snails, because they can't flip themselves over if they get stuck.

I would talk to John Maloney of Reef Cleaners. He will hook you up!

Thanks Militant Jurist for the reply

My test results are

PH 8.2

Ammonia .25

nitrite 0

nitrate 10

Do you think its ok to get a CuC?

Archived