ReefCleaners.org

Clownfish14's Nano Cube HQI

clownfish14

hey what is aiptasia is it the thing that almost looks like a feather duster please hurry and let me know so that i can get rid of it and try to find the pic that you see it in so i know that we are talking about the same thing

thanks and please help,

clownfish14

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hey what is aiptasia is it the thing that almost looks like a feather duster please hurry and let me know so that i can get rid of it and try to find the pic that you see it in so i know that we are talking about the same thing

thanks and please help,

clownfish14

Bump

I really hate to put it bluntly but, that anemone is going to die.

Do some research on them, and maybe you can take it back to the fish store... I promise it will die, and it may kill the rest of your tank in the process.

cheryl jordan
I really hate to put it bluntly but, that anemone is going to die.

Do some research on them, and maybe you can take it back to the fish store... I promise it will die, and it may kill the rest of your tank in the process.

I agree with the last post. I think you are moving too fast, before you even consider a anemone you need to take care of the algae problem, which means you need to take care of your water parameter problems. Get rid of the aptasia, and if you do the research you will find out how. A Sebae Anemone is one of the more difficult anemones to attempt especially with a new tank. I am not trying to offend you or your efforts, but SW aquariums are a work in progress and you need to do the work. Don't sacrifice inhabitants for a awsome tank, KEEP IT SIMPLE, give soft corals a try. A couple of cool colt corals, mushrooms and hardy fish and shrimp would be a good start. :)

I literally facepalm.gif when I saw the anemone. I can understand the fish during cycle and all, but to quote the article on anemones her on nanoreef...

Hardiness

90% of anemones die within the first year. This species should not be attempted by the inexperienced aquarist.

Hey Guys

Thank your for your great concern about my sebae when I bought him I already sorta knew that they were hard to keep and that most only live about a year so I talked to my LFS where I bought it and they said that they have had people keep them in nano tanks successively. I asked him what he thought about my water parameters and said that they were also fine. He also said that it was very healthy. Please let me know what you think so that I can decide what to do. In my opinion he looks great and healthy. I also think that if I keep up my water quality and feed and take care of him my clownfish can have a nice home for a long long time. Again please let me know what you think and please give some sort of backup to help your opinion.

Thanks so much,

clownfish14

cheryl jordan
Hey Guys

Thank your for your great concern about my sebae when I bought him I already sorta knew that they were hard to keep and that most only live about a year so I talked to my LFS where I bought it and they said that they have had people keep them in nano tanks successively. I asked him what he thought about my water parameters and said that they were also fine. He also said that it was very healthy. Please let me know what you think so that I can decide what to do. In my opinion he looks great and healthy. I also think that if I keep up my water quality and feed and take care of him my clownfish can have a nice home for a long long time. Again please let me know what you think and please give some sort of backup to help your opinion.

Thanks so much,

clownfish14

First piece of advice most LFS will tell you and sell you anything and everything. If your water quality was within the parameters that an anemone requires, you would not have so much algae. I would return the anemone if possible, work on your algae problem. Read The Reef Aquarium volumes 1,2 and 3. Do not add any more fish, and let your tank age, once again go slow otherwise I promise you that will only have problem after problem. If you need some back up to preivous advise just look at the Members Aquarium form, they did not get like that in 2 months. Good luck.

Your LFS may be like that but mine doesn't care what money they make they are veary helpful people that i dont think would just sell to sell. The reason i have algae is because my clean up crew is kinda slow i just did my water check 5 minutes ago and here are the results

ph 8.4

ammonia 0

nitrite 0

nitrate 15

i think toes are very good as far as water goes but i still have the algae so if the water has anything to do with the algae then why is there still algae.

Algae feeds off nitrates, phosphates and other stuff. It isn't a sign that anything is wrong, it is a sign that the tank has not yet matured and stabilized properly.

so then how do i tell when it has stabilized. and if i do get rid of it what about my clownfish he is hosting it right now would i have to give him back to.

The sebae anemone is also going to get way too big for that tank and sting just about anything you add.

I feel like you really started this thread just so you could pretend to ask for advice.

You really need to let the tank stabilize. I get it, adding stuff is what you really want to do, but if you want to succeed in this hobby you have to master a stable system first. It doesn't take 5 pages to sum up the experience you're having. I don't mean this to be mean, but if anyone disagrees with you, which quite a few have, you immediately discredit them simply out of a confirmation bias.

That is not what i am trying to do i think this thread has been loads of help without it i wouldent even know which live rock and sand to get and i also would not have known to use ro water instead of tap water. i am very sorry for any hurt feelings and the reason i dont want to get rid of it is because im not shure my lfs will take it back and i dont know what to do about my clownfish. i know the thread is kinda long but to me it is the history of my tank and when i look back in 2 years i will be able to see how far my tank has come and how much smarter i have become.

thank you so much for your great help,

clownfish14

cheryl jordan
That is not what i am trying to do i think this thread has been loads of help without it i wouldent even know which live rock and sand to get and i also would not have known to use ro water instead of tap water. i am very sorry for any hurt feelings and the reason i dont want to get rid of it is because im not shure my lfs will take it back and i dont know what to do about my clownfish. i know the thread is kinda long but to me it is the history of my tank and when i look back in 2 years i will be able to see how far my tank has come and how much smarter i have become.

thank you so much for your great help,

clownfish14

THE POINT IS YOU DO NOT USE MARINE INHABITANTS TO TEST YOUR TANKS STABILITY.

post-40050-1258826155_thumb.jpg

post-40050-1258826181_thumb.jpg

post-40050-1258826213_thumb.jpg

if the nem does die while your gone or even if your there its the biggest pita i would trade it for something else i have done the same thing kept a nem for a long time then you come home one day and there is a white cloud of death in your tank and your screwed, just from my experience its really not worth it there are tons of other stuff that clowns will host if your worried about.

thanks guys i think you might be right and i am staring to agree i think i should get rid of it. i have been doing reserch on them and found like you said they get big and they only last like a year. you said that my clown could host some other things. what would thoes be and would they work in my tank?

thanks,

clownfish14

thanks guys i think you might be right and i am staring to agree i think i should get rid of it. i have been doing reserch on them and found like you said they get big and they only last like a year. you said that my clown could host some other things. what would thoes be and would they work in my tank?

thanks,

clownfish14

my clown even used my toadstool for a bit......nems are fragile and you need a very stable tank with excellent lighting and extremely clean water......Do your HOMEWORK before just diving in and buying things......rookie mistake #1

ya i know it was a mistake that was the first thing that i bought that i actually did not do my homework on. I will do my homework next time and think before i just buy the things that look cool.

ok cool thanks. I need some help though the seabe is on a rock how do i get him out in some of the pics that i posted you can see how his stem is not showing that is because there is a large hole that he is in can i just pull him out or will that hurt him?

ok cool thanks. I need some help though the seabe is on a rock how do i get him out in some of the pics that i posted you can see how his stem is not showing that is because there is a large hole that he is in can i just pull him out or will that hurt him?

Archived