Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

SoCal's 20H EssPeeEss Reef

Arkayology

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Get a 6 line, I'd like to see one thrive in a 20 so I can at least rule out tank size...

Ya, you do not have good luck with those do you?

So.... Clam...

What ya think gold color or blue color?

I really like the blue ones, though the golds are kinda unique. I would get a maxima or crocea if I were you.

Also, quick update on the tank. I found my pep shrimp dead last night. Not sure why I am losing livestock. First the Firefish and not the shrimp. Water tests fine, I am running fresh chemipure elite. Now I am down to a shrimp, a goby and some hermits and snails in my tank. It is pretty boring after you are done looking at the corals and clam lol.

I am planning on getting another K1 to fight the dead spots in my tank and try and control the GHA with some more flow. We shall see what happens. LFS is getting a new shipment in on Monday and I am hoping for a 6line wrasse in it. Also... I may be getting ANOTHER BTA... this one is a rose :)

Hmmm that sucks. Big temp swings overnight or anything? Maybe have the LFS test your water to make sure your kit is accurate?

Thinking of going with gold just to be different (the clam).

Hmmm that sucks. Big temp swings overnight or anything? Maybe have the LFS test your water to make sure your kit is accurate?

Thinking of going with gold just to be different (the clam).

The tank stays fairly stable at 78 degrees at night. I am thinking I will have them check for nitrates and phos (even though it will show up at 0).

Are you thinking of getting a gold maxima? That would be sweet if you did!! I am thinking about getting a blue maxima to perch on my LR somewhere. I kinda like my inverts more then fish atm, thus the two nems and clam to 1 fish lol.

If I can work it out with Mr Coral I'm getting one of those free ones he has on his site, check it out let me know which # you think are cool.

I'm increasingly hopeful the hex will have gotten over the stupid marco rock algae bull#### by the wisconsin swap next week. That guy with all the nems is listed to be a seller there.

If I can work it out with Mr Coral I'm getting one of those free ones he has on his site, check it out let me know which # you think are cool.

I'm increasingly hopeful the hex will have gotten over the stupid marco rock algae bull#### by the wisconsin swap next week. That guy with all the nems is listed to be a seller there.

Are you thinking of a RBTA or GBTA or a LTA? I have seen some really nice purple LTA.

IMO, if your tank is stable, I would try a nem. Your rock scape will make it nice for having a nem because it most likely will not make it to the glass and get shredded.

Not sure yet. I've been doing a lot of reading. Got the voretch hammering the back of the rock column too, so that should encourage them to find a spot on the front side for our viewing pleasure heheh.

Not sure yet. I've been doing a lot of reading. Got the voretch hammering the back of the rock column too, so that should encourage them to find a spot on the front side for our viewing pleasure heheh.

Good plan. I plan to up the flow soon as to try and get the nems to move out from the back to the front. We shall see how my plans unfold.

Sorry about the loss! That's too bad. DId you just find the shrimp dead or was it being eaten?

Funny enough, I was at the LFS and I was talking with one of the guys about the BTA they had - then we noticed it had wiskers... Turns out it was having live shrimp for dinner.

Seems to be a lot of algae outbreaks lately.

The shrimp was not eaten, it was just laying there like the Firefish was. I hope these deaths are not linked. I am running my chemipure elite atm so anything in the water will be gone soon.

I am hoping that I can get the algae under control. I have a new light for my AC70 so my cheato willget some better growth. That coupled with the chemipure and weekly 2g WC, I should get things under control soon enough.

Thanks for your comments. Look around this thread later as I am planning on getting some new corals or fish this coming week :)

I love your tank SoCalDude. It's an inspiration to me setting up my first reef tank which is also a 20h. All I have in their atm is a pair of occelaris clowns but I'm hoping to add some coral soon. Just a few questions. You said in one of your posts that you are unsatisfied with you bulb choice because of the fiji purple. Have you changed your mind? What would you change it too? Also I was thinking about getting a clam like yours but I've read that they're real calcium leaches. Have you found this to be true. Thanks again.

Nice tank. I too just recently got a Purple Nana. Currently my second favorite acro. Also, that monti cap is gonna look great once it grows out a little more. Sorry about your losses.

Nice tank. I too just recently got a Purple Nana. Currently my second favorite acro. Also, that monti cap is gonna look great once it grows out a little more. Sorry about your losses.

Thanks!

Purple nana looks awesome right? I am very pleased with it. My emerald crab and electric blue hermit seem to love hanging out in the branches of the new sps. I really cant wait for this stuff to grow out.

I love your tank SoCalDude. It's an inspiration to me setting up my first reef tank which is also a 20h. All I have in their atm is a pair of occelaris clowns but I'm hoping to add some coral soon. Just a few questions. You said in one of your posts that you are unsatisfied with you bulb choice because of the fiji purple. Have you changed your mind? What would you change it too? Also I was thinking about getting a clam like yours but I've read that they're real calcium leaches. Have you found this to be true. Thanks again.

Thanks! I appreciate the kind words.

The Fiji purple is a really nice bulb, but I think it washes out a lot of my corals and gives them all too much of a redish-purpleish look. Personally, I would change my bulb setup to 2 Blue+ and 2 aquablue specials which is what I may get next time.

I think my clam, along with all my lps and sps are very big Ca munchers yes. I think my coraline is suffering a bit because of it. I think dosing will soon be in my future.

What type of corals are you interested in?

Thanks Byrdman, I think they were just flukes, or I hope so lol.

I'm mainly interested in LPS and some soft corals although SPS and clams could be an option I may take in the future. However It seems that I among others question the practicality of dosing these elements in such a small tank.

I'm mainly interested in LPS and some soft corals although SPS and clams could be an option I may take in the future. However It seems that I among others question the practicality of dosing these elements in such a small tank.

Ya, I know what you mean. I need to get a test kit and see what my levels look like for a few weeks before I make any decisions.

Archived