Pod Your Reef

SoCal's 20H EssPeeEss Reef

Arkayology

I like my peppermint shrimp, they're cool to watch. I just picked up a fire shrimp today for the hex.

Stop posting new #### w/o pics, mother####er.

;)

haha

Well, ok. I can't get a good shot of the new hermit or pep shrimp yet, but I will give you some nice shots of the tank and a pic of my nem (which I am not quite sure if it is dying or just pissed off or just being weird).

DSCN0912.jpg

DSCN0916.jpg

DSCN0915.jpg

Anyone got any ideas as to wtf my GBTA is doing? It isn't the params because my other BTA is doing fine.

DSCN0909.jpg

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't tell where the nem is heheh. I remember mine scrunched up very small when it would poop.

Did that clam stick itself to that spot or is it just sitting there?

Can't tell where the nem is heheh. I remember mine scrunched up very small when it would poop.

Did that clam stick itself to that spot or is it just sitting there?

The clam is just sitting there. Every time it gets close to fully attaching, a nem moves or something happens and it moves itself. I think this will be a permanent spot for it though, right in a bed of zoas.

The maroon clown does not seem to be very rough with the nem. It sucks the tentacles like clowns do and does not thrash around much. I think the nem is just angry about me pulling it off the clam. Since it extends at night, I think it is ok... for now. I just wish I could get it to eat.

BTW, if you can't see the nem in the last pic violinist, get some glasses! :P (it is right in the middle of the pic :D )

I have an AC 70 and a Taam Rio LED light in the mail. Soon I will have it modded into a fuge with some filter floss and carbon too try and get this hair algae under control.

How do you like that fiji purple bulb?

Someone might have asked already, but this thread is longgg.

You know, the fiji bulb is ok but I really feel that it makes things too red. It really is a nice bulb though, but I think I will try a different bulb combo when I replace these.

You know, the fiji bulb is ok but I really feel that it makes things too red. It really is a nice bulb though, but I think I will try a different bulb combo when I replace these.

whats your bulb combo again,

the fiji's can over power everything else, you may get better results with it in a different spot in the line up

whats your bulb combo again,

the fiji's can over power everything else, you may get better results with it in a different spot in the line up

As of your now, I have:

Front

KZ Fiji Purple

Aquablue special

Blue +

Aquablue special

Back

I originally had

AB special

Fiji

AB special

Blue+

I didn't like it so I changed it around. Now things are more balanced and it looks better.

Also, my GBTA is on the move and it is $%^#@ me off!!! :angry:

Hi SoCalDude,

Just perused your thread and, if you don't mind, would like to toss in some personal, first-hand experience... I'm enjoying your thread. :)

Anemones: At one time, I had 7 in one tank. Most had very little to no sting -- green and pink BTAs were the "friendliest". The worst I had was a purple BTA with lime green tips, it killed anything and everything it touched. It was stunning but had to go.

It looks like your anemone -- the contortionist -- may be splitting. They do strange things sometimes.

Maroon clowns are a PITA!!! Our first clowns were maroon and the female was very territorial. She would knock corals down and attack our hands when we tried to clean the tank. The reason why it appears your Ocellaris is bullying the maroon is because it was there first. This is normal behavior, just establishing dominance.

Good luck, I'll be dropping by from time to time.

Hi SoCalDude,

Just perused your thread and, if you don't mind, would like to toss in some personal, first-hand experience... I'm enjoying your thread. :)

Anemones: At one time, I had 7 in one tank. Most had very little to no sting -- green and pink BTAs were the "friendliest". The worst I had was a purple BTA with lime green tips, it killed anything and everything it touched. It was stunning but had to go.

It looks like your anemone -- the contortionist -- may be splitting. They do strange things sometimes.

Maroon clowns are a PITA!!! Our first clowns were maroon and the female was very territorial. She would knock corals down and attack our hands when we tried to clean the tank. The reason why it appears your Ocellaris is bullying the maroon is because it was there first. This is normal behavior, just establishing dominance.

Good luck, I'll be dropping by from time to time.

Thanks for the input. I know that I should have one nem at a time for a tank this size in a mixed reef environment. I didn't plan on getting the first one, it was a rescue as the LFS would have flushed it otherwise. The larger nem is currently under a rock and I am not sure what it is doing. It may be splitting, but I cannot see much of what is going on. if it is splitting, I will be getting rid of the clone and depending on what type of nem the rescue is, I will be keeping one or the other.

As for the clown, they can be territorial. Mine currently is not that bad but I plan on either upgrading in the future or giving it to a friend and getting a b/w juvi occ. I got rid of the Occ. because he was just too big for my tank I came to realize, not just because he was bullying the maroon.

Comment on whatever you like. I think I am on track here but still have a lot to learn. Do you have a tank thread btw?

Photo Update:

DSCN0931.jpg

DSCN0927.jpg

DSCN0926.jpg

DSCN0925.jpg

I know this looks dangerous, but it will be ok :) The nem is starting to color up btw, I think it is a RBTA :happy:

DSCN0924.jpg

Wow, things are looking very healthy. That little white nem is the ####.

Ya, very healthy. It is eating now and opens up during lights on. I am going to be trading the Maroon to a friend for a piece of sps or something as well as picking up an acropora or 2.

Also, I should be getting my AC70 and Rio LED light in the mail tomorrow. Should I take some pics of my mod process?

Yeah, it will motivate me to buy chaeto and put mine on the hex lol.

Are you going to mod the impeller to lower the flow? I haven't done that yet, not sure if it's a must-do.

Yeah, it will motivate me to buy chaeto and put mine on the hex lol.

Are you going to mod the impeller to lower the flow? I haven't done that yet, not sure if it's a must-do.

I am not sure yet. I am going to plug it in after I am done modding and it cures and see how I feel about it.

Archived