Pod Your Reef

Sushi's ELOS

Sushi

Looking very good!

Love the aquascaping and the gorg!

Thanks TJ, corals filled in the scape nicely... when I first scaped it it looked pretty barren :lol:

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im currently setting up a new tank and hopfully doing lightbars like yours!

I was wondering where you got the tool to bend the conduit from?

or if you would rent yours out? lol

Im currently setting up a new tank and hopfully doing lightbars like yours!

I was wondering where you got the tool to bend the conduit from?

or if you would rent yours out? lol

I just bent the conduit at the store, I asked an employee if I could make two 90 degree bends with the conduit bender, on some 1/2" conduit. He said "I don't see why not... as long as you buy the pieces you bend." and that was it. ;)

I measured it crudely with palm widths to get the bends at the right positions. In the end I still had to trim the ends down a bit to make them even.

Thanks TJ, corals filled in the scape nicely... when I first scaped it it looked pretty barren :lol:

Coral placement is still a key factor in aquascaping! It doesn't stop with the rock looking good in a tank with no corals. Sometimes the rock being low and plain is the best choice for great results with coral placement.

My 20g had the lamest rock placement. Was a very low U shape that looked very boring until I filled it with corals!!!

Don't try to sell yourself short on aquascaping when you know you're pro B)

;)

I just asked my LFS to order me in a dozen of those red spot cardinals. Hopefully they get them in and my tank will be ready for them. They are SUPER cheap, like $30 for a group of 12.

I didn't know they existed until I saw your thread - if they don't do well I am going to try the orange lined ones. (I give up on green chromis)

Sorry to hear about the package. That sucks :( the bent tubes look awesome! How the hell you manage to take great pics under blue LEDs? Como on over and take some pics for me! :lol:

Tank is looking so beautiful :)

I have a couple questions about the sump. Did it come with the top off water area or did you install that yourself? What do you think about the sump and overflow is it noisey?If you had it to do all over again would you buy a Elos mini again?

I just bent the conduit at the store, I asked an employee if I could make two 90 degree bends with the conduit bender, on some 1/2" conduit. He said "I don't see why not... as long as you buy the pieces you bend." and that was it. ;)

I measured it crudely with palm widths to get the bends at the right positions. In the end I still had to trim the ends down a bit to make them even.

haha Nice. Id enjoy stopping by sometime and checking out that LED set up its looking fancy!

I just asked my LFS to order me in a dozen of those red spot cardinals. Hopefully they get them in and my tank will be ready for them. They are SUPER cheap, like $30 for a group of 12.

I didn't know they existed until I saw your thread - if they don't do well I am going to try the orange lined ones. (I give up on green chromis)

WOW, that is cheap for the Red Spot Cardinals... LiveAquaria sells them for $10-15 each! And you can't buy them singly, a trio will be ~$40 and groups of 4-5 will be ~$50-60. They sure are nice fish, but with dismal survival rates through transport and in established tanks as well. So far, I gotta say the lone Orange Lined Cardinal that I have is pretty healthy, and getting fat! Probably less novel than the Red Spots but definitely easier to care for. I'm still on the hunt for some... ;)

Sushi - Everything looks great. I know I would be bummed about the losses too.

I'll be on the look out for you on small gobies.

-Dave

Thanks Dave, my goal is to get a pair at least of the blue eyed gobies! :)

your tank is looking really nice man!

Thanks man :) Going to setup my syringe pump soon!

Sorry to hear about the package. That sucks :( the bent tubes look awesome! How the hell you manage to take great pics under blue LEDs? Como on over and take some pics for me! :lol:

Tank is looking so beautiful :)

Thanks Sammy, the trick to taking pics with blue LEDs (or blue anything for that matter), is to take dozens of pics with varying white balances until you find the one closest to what you see with your eyes in real life. Without white balance, everything gets these weird shades with muffled colors.

That latest FTS was amazing!

Thank you B)

I have a couple questions about the sump. Did it come with the top off water area or did you install that yourself? What do you think about the sump and overflow is it noisey?If you had it to do all over again would you buy a Elos mini again?

Top off area was designed into the sump by ELOS. The sump was totally reconfigured last year (described in detail in Post #82) to solve some of the inadequacies of the design. The overflow WAS noisy, but with the pump at the lowest setting it's barely noticeable. I would definitely get a ELOS Mini again, I've been debating on getting another one for a FWP tank, but don't have the room for one!

haha Nice. Id enjoy stopping by sometime and checking out that LED set up its looking fancy!

Sure, send me a PM if you ever plan on being in the 57/60 area ;)

just ordered one of these bad boys...very excited...where did you get the tank stand from? I don't have room to mount it from the ceiling

Tank stand? Do you mean the light bracket? I just used conduit that you can find at hardware stores. Just a 90 degree bend, drill couple holes... add some clamps, and trim to size... that's it :)

also did u get any lunar lights? cause the one i ordered doesn't come with the 30 watt high powered led?

No lunar lights on the MAXSPECT G1 fixtures, the G2 fixtures which should be released in the next 2-3 weeks are supposed to have lunar lights, but the first generations don't. You got the 30w LED version? Is that the 160w model? Post some pics when you get it in... I want to see if those 30w LEDs are any good :)

30w leds in a 1.75in thick fixture is crazy. I wonder if the fixture burns extremely hot due to it

My thoughts exactly... that's why I personally picked the 110w version, stick with the safe 3w LEDs :lol:

nonono lol, i ordered the standard one that you have...i thought for some reason you got the 30 watt LED...Thanks for the cheap LED lighting idea, i was going to get t-5's but with bulbs and legs and additions the LED is a cheaper and more reasonable option :)

nonono lol, i ordered the standard one that you have...i thought for some reason you got the 30 watt LED...Thanks for the cheap LED lighting idea, i was going to get t-5's but with bulbs and legs and additions the LED is a cheaper and more reasonable option :)

Ahh :lol: I see now :) Good choice with the 110w version... definitely a good alternative to other types of lighting out there. Hopefully you won't be disappointed! ;)

Did you order from Fish-Street?

Did it cost you like 110 dolars for shipping from hong kong thatoneazn? I found a couple places that sell them.Anyone found a place in the U.S that sells them yet?

Dug my Rebel XT out of the closet yesterday. I've been using my point and shoot SD750 for most of my pictures and a little bit of my new G11, but I haven't gotten used to that camera yet. On my Rebel XT I'm using a EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM lens. Still a novice and always learning especially with the DSLR, but managed to catch a few nice shots - really wish I had image stabilization though. The shots below are all taken without a tripod. :happy:

This will be the first set of a few macro shots that I took.

Various Zoanthids

January2010-001-1.jpg

My ORA Green Birdsnest (Seriatopora guttatus). Hope this guy grows BIG in the future :)

January2010-002.jpg

Possibly one of my all-time-favorite shots EVER is my Dendro from a top down view.

January2010-003.jpg

woah :o those shots are amazing! I'm still fighting with the damn Royal Blues and my nikon :angry: Are you shooting RAW or Jpeg? Do you have to make lots of adjustments or are these pretty close to the original picture?

Archived