Pod Your Reef

Sushi's ELOS

Sushi

This is one of my oldest acans, I think this one dates back to 2005.

Look how ugly it is:

June2010-AcanMouth.jpg

Purdyyyyyyyyy :eek:

me want

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's interesting to hear that your Tubbs and Nucs did the same as mine. For reference, I'm running my light cycle as follows:

(Actinics) Blue/Violet -- ON for 6 hours

(Mixed) White with some B/V -- ON for 4 hours

(Whites) 30w Whites -- ON for 1 hour

This has helped me combat algae problems (or so I'd like to think), and my corals are happy while maintaining great coloration. Finally I think I hit the sweet spot, but I think I might up the periods up by 1-2 hours gradually in the future. My fish are doing great, and my peppermint is still carrying eggs. Haven't seen them hatch yet though! I am still doing weekly water changes at 1 to 2 gallons.

I'll get a FTS this week or the next, nothing much new since the last one but still nice to see one.

Hey sushi,

How your tank been doing now with the new maxspect!

i think i might try out your setting. I've been trying to battle with my hair algae problem and it's pita. I notice my acan is growing and coloring up really nice. I'll get like 3-5 head in less then a month. new baby head growth is outrageous!

Do you know where i can find some replacement leds. i wanna make it more blue! thanks!

Hi sushi

very impressed with your set up, i have ordered the new elos midi with the 500 skimmer and the new e-lite XL, question i have re lights - nano cube i have at the moment has a KR61 LED unit (great unit with sunset sunrise daytime and moonlights) to fit this cube its 49 cm wide the new Elos is 57 cm wide but was wondering if the new e-lite XL is not any good whether i can use the KR light if so would like to know how you attached the light brackets to the Elos unit please and what did you use?

thanks

Hey, the shorter photoperiod might help. The replacement LEDs you can solder yourself if you're handy. If not, Maxspect has the wired ones for the G2 units that you can purchase. I don't remember how much they cost, I want to say in the range of maybe $7-10 pre-wired (??). You'll love the new fixture once you play around with different color combos. Good luck!

Hey sushi,

How your tank been doing now with the new maxspect!

i think i might try out your setting. I've been trying to battle with my hair algae problem and it's pita. I notice my acan is growing and coloring up really nice. I'll get like 3-5 head in less then a month. new baby head growth is outrageous!

Do you know where i can find some replacement leds. i wanna make it more blue! thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Sushi, I've a few questions about your tunze 9002 set up I'd like to ask if I may? I set up an elos mini myself not long ago and I've gotten fed up with the NS100 skimmer so I'm looking at possible replacements.

First, looking at your photos it appears the 9002 was able to fit in the compartment you have it in without having to remove the magnet mounts. Is that the case?

Second, you mentioned back on page five, "I was pleasantly surprised at what a nice fit it was and that the water line in that chamber is easily controlled to allow the 9002 to efficiently skim." Is the water depth from just having those two compartments filled with water sufficient, or did you have to raise the water depth of the main sump compartment up past the level of the bulkhead drain on the skimmer compartment for it to work right? If the latter, does the slight fluctuations of the water level in between ATO top offs impact the functioning of the skimmer?

I appreciate any info you can provide, as you're the only one running a tunze 9002 in an elos mini that I can find. I'd originally been thinking of having an acrylic sump-within-a-sump constructed that a tunze 9002 could sit in with a constant water depth of 8", but your way would be simpler.

Another picture of another acan that I have (teal/red). The texture of the flesh is crazy, almost looks abrasive.

June2010-AcanTexture.jpg

My brother from a different mother :D

DSC00689.jpg?t=1279827554

Your picture is like 1 MM times better :rolleyes:

Nick's Reef

Wow, what an amazing tank. I love the scape, and the way you placed the corals, keep up the good work, should be totm one day.

Sushi, I've a few questions about your tunze 9002 set up I'd like to ask if I may? I set up an elos mini myself not long ago and I've gotten fed up with the NS100 skimmer so I'm looking at possible replacements.

First, looking at your photos it appears the 9002 was able to fit in the compartment you have it in without having to remove the magnet mounts. Is that the case?

Second, you mentioned back on page five, "I was pleasantly surprised at what a nice fit it was and that the water line in that chamber is easily controlled to allow the 9002 to efficiently skim." Is the water depth from just having those two compartments filled with water sufficient, or did you have to raise the water depth of the main sump compartment up past the level of the bulkhead drain on the skimmer compartment for it to work right? If the latter, does the slight fluctuations of the water level in between ATO top offs impact the functioning of the skimmer?

I appreciate any info you can provide, as you're the only one running a tunze 9002 in an elos mini that I can find. I'd originally been thinking of having an acrylic sump-within-a-sump constructed that a tunze 9002 could sit in with a constant water depth of 8", but your way would be simpler.

CJ, sorry for the late reply... and thanks for the reminder ;)

In order to get my 9002 in that chamber, I had to revise the flow path in the sump. I think I detailed it in a previous post a couple pages back, but essentially... the drain goes into the filter sock compartment (previously skimmer exhaust area), and from there the flow goes through the media (or in my case, "skimmer") compartment. The water exits through the hole and linear black baffle into the return chamber. My Tunze 9002 fit into the media chamber with no problems. Please keep in mind, that I had a older Tunze 9002, the one without magnet mounts. The magnet mounts that you see in the photos are DIY and not part of the original assembly. There is a little bit of wiggle room (in all directions), but I would highly suggest you measure the width of your 9002 including the magnets to ensure you have enough space. If you don't have enough space, what I would suggest is to look for the older style 9002 without the pre-attached magnet mounts.

The water depth of those two chambers (filter sock chamber and 9002 skimmer chamber) have the same water level. The water level in there can be fine tuned by lowering or raising the water level within the return chamber. I can't recall right now off the top of my head how high I have the water level, but I believe I have it around the "halfway" point of the hole that connects that chamber to the return chamber. I believe that around halfway of the hole was just around the blue water line on the 9002.

The skimmer is sitting in its own chamber and is NOT subject to drastic height adjustment because of the position of the hole. Despite evap, water in that chamber stays more or less level, except for the adjustable height you get above that hole. I have a top-off system to help minimize fluctuations, so my skimmer has been operating consistently. I hope that helps answer your questions, feel free to ask for more clarification if I wasn't precise enough in my explanation.

And THANKS to all who've commented, I should have an update in August. :)

Where didyou get the mountain arms to mount the Maxspect? Did you just drill the arms right into the stand?

Mounting arms are DIY, they're just conduit bent at 90 degree angles. I drilled em for holes and mounted the Maxspect directly onto them. The arms are attached via conduit clamps onto the stand.

Hi sushi

very impressed with your set up, i have ordered the new elos midi with the 500 skimmer and the new e-lite XL, question i have re lights - nano cube i have at the moment has a KR61 LED unit (great unit with sunset sunrise daytime and moonlights) to fit this cube its 49 cm wide the new Elos is 57 cm wide but was wondering if the new e-lite XL is not any good whether i can use the KR light if so would like to know how you attached the light brackets to the Elos unit please and what did you use?

thanks

Hi nellups, thanks for your comment... the Midi should be an awesome system :)

I'm not too sure how the eLite XL will perform and I haven't had first hand experience with it yet so I can't comment on that. The light bracket is bent conduit that you can find at any hardware store. I spray painted mine a matte grey to match my stand door, and the project was fun and not to mention cheap :) My suggestion would be to try out the eLite XL and see how you like the coloration and spread. Keep it for a bit, and if you are unhappy with it, try fitting the KR onto your midi somehow. Good luck! :D

CJ, sorry for the late reply... and thanks for the reminder ;)

Thanks Sushi, and apologies for being a pest :)

I think I'm down to either having a sump-within-a-sump built for a tunze 9002 to sit in or just saying the hell with it and putting a 9010 or 9410 on it. Both of those are dramatically overkill, but have the virtue of being easy :D

No problem CJ, glad I could help.

Actually the 9010 isn't a bad idea, if you remove the baffle in the back (wedged baffle), and redirect flow I think it could work... especially if you run it "sump-style", but I think you're right. It's a bit overkill :)

I would highly suggest the 9002 method with the revised ELOS sump layout. It is the cheapest and is rather effective. Good luck! B)

Can we get a fts and your side shot of the entire tank with your diy hangon maxspect. Is your lighting still making your corals happy?

Yes and can it be a closer shot of the side tank view and close up? :) i like how slicky clean you got there going.

I had to take my light down for now bro. it's too intense for the LPS but i would like to know how you install your diy clamp! :) can you get a write up on that?

THanks for the side corner look, love your tank!

Thanks for the info Sushi love your tank, hope mine looks as good, still dont know whether to just transfer everything from my 75 l tank, or start again with new live rock and cycle then transfer the fish shrimps etc over maybe that way can get the rock scape how i want it!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys.

Not the best pic, didn't have time to setup my tripod so please excuse the quick snapshot.

I checked the tank this morning to see this!

deadshrimp.jpg

Not sure if it's a molt (the head is CLEAR), but the body seems to be somewhat opaque and solid. Usually the molts break apart in my tank but this one seems pretty intact. I have a pair of peppermint shrimps, I can see one hanging around but the other one I can't find so I assume that this is his carcass. Shame :(

These S. tapetum nems seem to have a great appetite!

Cooolness! I had the same thing happen to my anemone shrimp too but it was my red acan that had the feast of it's life! Lol

I think I may wanna try to set back up my maxspect g2 160 again. Since you have good luck on it, did you set it up high before or did you just mess with the lighting.

I would like to copy your lighting period since it's doing well for you. The growth is good for sps but I just don't understand why it faded my corals alot. My corals are coloring up again since I got a 150w mh w/ 14k phoenix on it for about one month now.

Also I want to personality congratz you on your TOTM! One of my greatest inspiration to start my nano tank. Lol :)

Archived