SaltCritters.com

Sushi's ELOS

Sushi

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply
d'Espresso

On your maxspect, did you have to change out your LEDs? How often do you replace them? And where did you purchase your led replacement and colors?

If you ever start pruning soon please let me know so I can get ready to get them off your hands :)

Thanks everyone...

d'Espresso: I haven't yet swapped out the LED bulbs yet on the MaxSpect ever since my first adjustment to the lighting configuration when I initially got the G2. I will likely do bulb switching incrementally (replace all blues, then all violets, then all whites), sometime later on this year (2011). By the time 2012 rolls around the fixture should have all LEDs swapped out.

You can probably get replacement LEDs through any MaxSpect vendor. I got my replacements directly through the manufacturer because I had sent my G1 in for replacement (under warranty) and worked something out with them to get a G2 + replacement LEDs.

Hope you guys enjoyed the update. I'll try to post pics again mid-late summer (post-trimming) to show you guys how the tank looks after I prune a few things.

Looks great sushi!

have had problems with my midi, high nitrates being one of them, which i am trying to sort out at the moment, the elite XP i feel does not cut it! so am thinking of getting the maxspec light but not certain which to go for the 160w or the 180w?

Also i feel the sump is not brilliant, dont like the overflow entering the main area as the return pump, but not certain what to do to change it around any ideas?

Your tank is a real inspiration, just hope i can get mine to the same level.

Paleoreef103

I love the choice of three types of birdnest corals as your primary SPS. I'm kind of surprised you don't have a bird of paradise birdnest in there. Keep us updated man. The tank is killer.

I like the shapes your SPS make. They almost look like flexible soft corals.

Looks like they are curved and bent the way they are because the LEDs are too powerful for them. SPS will form shapes like this in attempts to cast as much shadow on it's visible polyps as possible, to enable the coral to take in less light - meaning it is getting way more than it needs. Obviously, this is fine due to the fact the coral isn't bleaching...just wanted to let you know why the cool formation!

The tank looks super awesome though. One of my favorites as well.

• 2 months later...

That tank is badass Uchi--the ELOS is on my to-buy list when I find a place that's large enough for it. How do you like it so far? Any gripes with the system?

Those Birdsnest. They are pure win.

How has the Tunze Osmolator Calcium Dispenser 5074 been working for you? Worth the buy? I'm looking into dosing/top-off options as it's the last piece of equipment I really need for my new setup (aside from maybe a skimmer)

That tank is badass Uchi--the ELOS is on my to-buy list when I find a place that's large enough for it. How do you like it so far? Any gripes with the system?

Thanks :) Nice to see old-timers around here... can't believe so much time has passed since we've started reefing. The ELOS is amazing, I have no complaints (after the initial tweaks to the sump). I have minimal salt creep (almost NONE), and it's very quiet. If I were to get a new tank, I would very likely look into the MIDI or the System 70. Those are definitely on my wish list once I get bored of the smaller MINI (which I haven't yet!).

any more new update and FTS as promise late summer session?

Can't wait to see how it is going for your tank..

Hey :) I've been really bad on the updates as you can tell. I am scheduled for a water change this week... I'll try to clean up a bit and take some pics to post for the month of September. I haven't done any fragging at the moment, and my corals are INSANELY huge now... definitely need to do some pruning.

Those Birdsnest. They are pure win.

How has the Tunze Osmolator Calcium Dispenser 5074 been working for you? Worth the buy? I'm looking into dosing/top-off options as it's the last piece of equipment I really need for my new setup (aside from maybe a skimmer)

Thanks. Birdsnest are my favorite SPS as you can probably tell :) The Tunze Osmolator has been working very well for me. I don't dose calcium very frequently and I find that the Kalk has been enough to keep my corals happy. I purchased it second hand so I saved a bit of cash off of a new one, but it's definitely a nifty piece of equipment. Honestly though, I think you could make your own "custom" Osmolator if you had the skills. Essentially, it's just an elongated bottle with an opening and two tubes (in/out).

Where in socal are you sushi? I'd love to see your tank sometime!

Hey, I'm in the city of Walnut - 91789, right off the 57/60 freeway. Shoot me a PM, maybe you can drop by some weekend to see the tank.

Hey, I'm in the city of Walnut - 91789, right off the 57/60 freeway. Shoot me a PM, maybe you can drop by some weekend to see the tank.

Hah, for years I lived in Walnut--Colima and Fairway pretty much.

Tank still looks awesome every time. Good to see this tank hasn't shut down. i'm curious to how you'll prune your corals. Your at the point of taking the clippers and cutting the corals into dramatic shapes to fit your rockscape. Any plans on how you'll trim them?

Hah, for years I lived in Walnut--Colima and Fairway pretty much.

Yea, it's a nice place with good food :) What it really needs are some reliable LFS.

Very nice. Makes me want to set mine up :)

Your tank is looking awesome man. I am certainly looking forward to the September update!

Thanks, I think this weekend will be the week that I get around to taking some pics :)

Wow, can't believe I'm just seeing this thread now. Awesome tank you've got there... nice job! :)

Thank you!

Tank still looks awesome every time. Good to see this tank hasn't shut down. i'm curious to how you'll prune your corals. Your at the point of taking the clippers and cutting the corals into dramatic shapes to fit your rockscape. Any plans on how you'll trim them?

Yea, it's been a long while now. Once it hits November, it will hit its 3-year anniversary. I didn't realize it's been so long but time sure passes fast. Regarding the trimming process... I honestly don't know how it's going to happen until I actually see where the corals have encrusted. For the pieces that have grown too large on 1 stem, I will likely pluck the entire "mini-colony" out and break it up into frags. From there I'll try to shape out a piece that I can re-insert into the rockwork to maintain a balance and spacing. I definitely have too many corals... and I'm finding that my maxi-nems are being quite tempermental.

Updates to come soon, hopefully within the next week or so! :)

Thankyou Sushi!! You've given me new hope for my Elos Mini! :D

I went away for 9days and came back to it in a horrible state (lost frags, microbubbles and cyano everywhere!) I was considering giving up on nanos and just getting a bigger (more stable) tank. But yours is so beautiful I've going to give it another shot. :lol:

I'm definitely going to try the modified sump + tunze 9002 skimmer as I think that's where my problems are stemming from.

Question... You've mentioned having chaeto in the sump, but I'm wondering, how do you keep it from getting sucked into the pumps? From what I understand they're all together in the main chamber, or have you added some extra baffles?

If you have any piccies that show the larger sump chamber layout that would be awesome.... or just a description would work too. Thanks so much and keep up the amazing work!

Archived