Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Sushi's ELOS

Sushi

Hello everyone, I'm going to be documenting the progress of my ELOS System Mini project in this thread.

System Specifications (current as of May 2010)

• ELOS MINI Display tank with ELOS Overflow (17"x17"x16") - ~20 gallons
  • ELOS SUMP 100 - Modified Baffles (with ELOS Return Pumps) ~6-10 gallons
  • ELOS SQUARE Stand (17"x17"x35.5")
  • ELOS E-Lite LED Fixture (RETIRED Dec 2009)
  • ELOS NS100 Skimmer (RETIRED Oct 2009)
  • Tunze 9002 (as of Oct 2009)
  • MAXSPECT LED-G1-400-110w (RETIRED Apr 2009)
  • MAXSPECT LED-G2-400-160w (as of Apr 2009)
  • Tunze Osmolator 3155 + Tunze Osmolator Calcium Dispenser 5074
  • EcoTech Marine Vortech MP10 on Battery Backup System
  • Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper 2 with temp/pH probe
  • LED Sump Lighting
  • About 12 lbs Caribsea Aragonite Reef Grade Sand
  • About 12 - 15 lbs of cured Live Rock
  • Tank was SETUP on Nov 2008, Rescaped in Sept 2009

Clean Up Crew (as of May 2010)

• 8 Nassarius Snails
  • 4 Scarlet hermit Crabs
  • 4 Bumblebee Snails
  • 2 Astrea Snails
  • 2 Turban Snails
  • 4 Cerith Snails
  • 1 Emerald Crab

Livestock List (as of May 2010)

• Various LPS (acan/blasto/dendro/duncan)
  • Various Rics/Yumas
  • Various Zoas/Palys
  • Various SPS
  • Various Inverts (mini nems, feather dusters, rusty gorgonian)
  • 2x Elacatinus multifasciatum - Greenbanded Gobies
  • 3x Eviota pellucida - Gold Neon Eviota Goby
  • 1x Apogon cyanosoma - Orange-Lined Cardnialfish
  • 1x Assessor flavissimus - ORA Gold Assessor Basslet
  • 2x Lysmata wurdemanni - Peppermint Shrimp

[ Full Tank Shot as of May 2011 ]

2011-05-FTS.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This tank has been through a lot, and I wanted to document the entire life of the tank, so here is a little background history:

The tank was received on 11/14/08 and immediately I unpacked everything and started to get to work. The photos below were taken back in November 2008.

Receiving the long awaited package

2009-0912-01-box-pW.jpg

Unboxing the tank and sump - Look at the low iron glass!

2009-0912-02-openbox-pW.jpg

Setting up

2009-0912-03-setup-pW.jpg

Then, the trouble started.

The live rock that I had in the tank had some caulerpa racemosa that I could never quite rid myself of. As time passed, I simply just gave up on the tank. Laziness and inactivity led the tank to eventually become an insane forest of caulerpa racemosa riddled with pink coralline algae and two very unhappy RBTAs. For about 9 months, the tank wasn't very well maintained and the pictures that you see below will give you an idea of what happens to a tank when caulerpa racemosa is left "unattended".

Caulerpa Racemosa infestastion

2009-0912-05-caulerpa-pW.jpg

Full tank shot of Caulerpa Forest - October, 2009

2009-0912-04-oneyearlater-pW.jpg

After getting inspired by some of the TOTMs over here and at RC's nano subforum, I decided that I should finally get off my lazy ass and give this lovely setup the proper care and attention it deserves. I took out ALL the live rock, and siphoned out about 15 gallons of muddy, detritus filled water. I cleaned all panels of the glass and with some elbow grease managed to get most of the coralline algae off as well. During the cleaning process, I switched out my Vortech MP40W for the MP10 (the MP10 was not available when I first setup the tank). I am much happier with the MP10 as the size is much less noticeable while maintaining a great deal of water flow in the tank.

Vortech MP10 - "Downgrade" from MP40W

2009-0912-07-mp10upgrade-pW.jpg

Giving the tank a good scrub down - 09/01/09

2009-0912-06-cleaning-pW.jpg

Finally, 6 hours later and about 15 gallons of fresh salt water later... I re-scaped my tank. When the dust settled, this was the end result, and where I plan to make my "come-back" into nano-reefing.

FTS - 09/14/09

2009-0912-08-rescape-pW.jpg

Corner Shot of my system on 09/14/09

2009-0912-10-tank-pW.jpg

Layout of ELOS System Mini Sump Area

2009-0912-11-sump1-pW.jpg

Close-up of Sump Lighting and Mounted Equipment

2009-0912-12-sump2-pW.jpg

Hope you guys like the transformation... sure makes me feel better now that it's clean. I'll be documenting the progression and growth of the tank as time goes on, let me know what you think!

Welcome back, Daniel! I know you didn't leave the hobby, but you know what I mean. :) This is definitely an '04 reunion now!

But can you plz change ur name back to Uchiha? Haha. Still not used to your new name.

Looking forward to seeing this thing progress!

WOW. thats a Beautiful setup you got there. happy you made the dicision to clean up the tank instead of getting out of the hobby. hope everything goes well for you from here on out. :happy: GOOD LUCK. ill be tagging along.

I think we've all been there at some point in the hobby...glad to see that you didn't toss in the towel. The minimalist scape really fits the sleek and contemporary feel of the Elos tanks nicely.

I think we've all been there at some point in the hobby...glad to see that you didn't toss in the towel. The minimalist scape really fits the sleek and contemporary feel of the Elos tanks nicely.

Thanks for the comment... I'm hoping that with a few corals here and there the tank will naturally fill itself out. Not a big fan of the "pile-o-rocks" style of reefing so we'll see what happens with time. :happy:

Thanks for the comment... I'm hoping that with a few corals here and there the tank will naturally fill itself out. Not a big fan of the "pile-o-rocks" style of reefing so we'll see what happens with time. :happy:

Slick setup.

Thanks guys :lol:

I'll take some pics of the current livestock I have in the tank later this week. I'm also planning on adding a 6-line wrasse and a pair of cleaner shrimps sometime soon.

VERY nice setup there. I just recently did the same thing. After months of neglect to a GHA problem, and one random trip to the SW section of a pet store I decided to "redo" my tank. Just got her up and running two days ago and will be creating a rebuild thread. Good luck! Definitely tagging along!

Sushi-

How do you like the Elos NS100? I have read several threads of people changing it out for a Tunze 9010, plumbing an external (Uhuru), or even seeing if ATB can fit a tiny cone in that sump. I've seen a few pics of it in action, and it doesn't look so bad to me. I actually like the lower injector location of the NS100 better than at the base of the neck like the larger Elos skimmers.

If the water in the sump is kept constant and within spec, I could see this skimmer working quite well.

LMK, thanks & the new beginning looks great.

Warehouse41Ant

Sweet sump setup. Looks simple until you get down below! (insert "that's what she said" joke).

I'll be tagging along. That forest you had was pretty impressive. Glad to see the tank get some love and have a chance at a comeback!

Sushi-

How do you like the Elos NS100? I have read several threads of people changing it out for a Tunze 9010, plumbing an external (Uhuru), or even seeing if ATB can fit a tiny cone in that sump. I've seen a few pics of it in action, and it doesn't look so bad to me. I actually like the lower injector location of the NS100 better than at the base of the neck like the larger Elos skimmers.

If the water in the sump is kept constant and within spec, I could see this skimmer working quite well.

LMK, thanks & the new beginning looks great.

Let me help field this question. I have a new Elos System Mini and the skimmer is just broken in. The biggest complaint seems to be too many adjustments. I don't see it that way, it seems very effective, once you're used to getting it to skim effectively I don't think it's any better or worse then anything else I've seen anyone do.

My advice to anyone who is going to get this system is don't waste your money on a new skimmer till you've tried this one for a few months.

I've seen and owned some really bad skimmers, trust me, this isn't one of them.

Thanks Bumble,

Any action shots of the NS100 w skim?

lol I just got finished cleaning out the skimmer and sat down and saw this, and I'm heading out for vacation tomorrow. If I don't heed the call within a week or two give me a poke and I'll get one. Sorry!

I'll try to get you some pics of the skimmate from the NS100. I've owned a Tunze 9010, Tunze 9002, and am currently using a Tunze 9020 (basically two 9010's glued together) on my 125G, and I'll be honest, up to now the Tunzes outperform the NS100 on all levels (even the Tunze 9002).

The NS100 is a very simple and clean design though, and I don't dislike it, it just seems like the adjustment valve is so sensitive to little twists the level of bubbles vary tremendously with a 1-2 mm turn. I'm not sure if other Mini owners have been having this problem with hard to control levels, but it does skim pretty darn well if you can get the level just right. Produces a nice tea color skimmate, but not MUD like I get from the Tunzes.

I'll be keeping the NS100 in the tank for now. Not too fond of plumbing an external as that means I'll need to reserve some space outside of the stand. I have however been thinking about throwing my Tunze 9002 on it, but I'm going to try and keep the sump as stock as possible since the NS100 seems extremely capable. Just need to get used to the fine-tuning the sensitive adjustments.

Hi Daniel, finally caught up to your thread.

Anyways looking good. I really like the sump lighting, it's really different. I might consider it for my setup. Is this your only tank or do you still have the 125? I really appreciate all your input with my setup.

-Paul

Archived