Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Sushi's ELOS

Sushi

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the comments guys :)

Nothing really new, I've added an acan frag and that red monti cap, besides that everything has stayed the same for the most part. I've been wanting my zoas to take off and they've done a decent job, so I haven't gotten many corals. I think I'm going to get a few SPS frags though to fill in a few empty spaces. After that I think I won't have any space left for anything else.

Superb. The difference between the MAXSPECT and E-Lite is incredible. Guess I need to find a friend in China that's willing to pick one up for me.

-Adam

Superb. The difference between the MAXSPECT and E-Lite is incredible. Guess I need to find a friend in China that's willing to pick one up for me.

-Adam

You can get the Maxspect light on reefshops.com for around $360 shipped to the US. Just thought I would let you guys know.

Your tank is coming along nicely. Very stunning coral you have put together.

This picture reminds me of the look of a 20k Radium HQI bulb.

dec-2009-001.jpg

Have you been able to get any PAR readings on the light?

Looks good. This is one of the few fixtures that look worthwhile. Not too keen on the larger versions with the 30W LED though, but yours looks nice.

-Adam

Thanks, the e-lite has its strengths, but coverage, coloration, and control are definitely not present with the e-lite.

You can get the Maxspect light on reefshops.com for around $360 shipped to the US. Just thought I would let you guys know.

Thanks Dustin, there are a few other places like LCK-LED that also carry the light. Not sure how reputable these overseas companies are and how much they charge for shipping but they are definitely available for purchase online. The hurdle is to get them to ship it in a timely manner for a reasonable price.

Your tank is coming along nicely. Very stunning coral you have put together.

This picture reminds me of the look of a 20k Radium HQI bulb.

Have you been able to get any PAR readings on the light?

Thank you! The 18 blue + 18 white really does give off a nice 20K feel. I don't have any PAR readings, I've never taken any before and don't have a PAR meter. If anyone is local to SoCal and capable of taking PAR measurements I wouldn't mind for them to drop on by :)

Looks good. This is one of the few fixtures that look worthwhile. Not too keen on the larger versions with the 30W LED though, but yours looks nice.

Thanks for dropping in Clive, the 30W fixture had me wary too. Not much known on how it would perform and I was hesitant about the color so I went with the safe route and bought the simpler model. I guess if LEDs fail somewhere down the line I can attempt to get some CREEs soldered in to replace whatever they're using in there currently.

At 1/2 to nearly 1/3 the price of some of the other LED fixtures out there I really hope more LED fixture manufacturers will come out with lower cost models. If MAXSPECT is able to take off in the U.S. without a dramatic price increase I'm going to assume other companies will at least try and "aim" to have their units priced more competitively.

Update on the fixture

I think I'm 100% done with light acclimation, things in the tank look great and I removed the last screen yesterday night to complete the acclimation process. Temps on the heatsink from the internal thermometer haven't really gone past 30 degrees Celsius yet; that was the highest I've seen with all white and all blue on running for about 6 hours. With the blues only, the fixture hovers around 25-26 degrees Celsius. Granted, it is the winter time and the house is a little colder now but seems a lot better than the freaking hot e-lite.

Thx Sushi for the price info, your tank looks awesome under that light. I'm actually thinking getting one too for my solana. Even with a DIY LED fixture, 36 LED already top $200, with the controller included for $260, it's a steal.

May I ask which store in Shanghai did ur friend buy it from? I'm going to ask my friend to get me one too. :)

bxz

No optics, with 3w LEDs and a total of 36 LEDs in the array (18 white, 18 blue).

Wow, that's a great deal on this fixture! Do you think it is sufficient to cover a 24" X 24" X20" cube?

Also, forgive my ignorance, but why the apprehension over the 30W LED's? Also, it lists the manufacturer of the LED's as "semiLED"? Is this a reliable manufacturer?

Thx Sushi for the price info, your tank looks awesome under that light. I'm actually thinking getting one too for my solana. Even with a DIY LED fixture, 36 LED already top $200, with the controller included for $260, it's a steal.

May I ask which store in Shanghai did ur friend buy it from? I'm going to ask my friend to get me one too. :)

bxz

Sorry, I have no idea which store it was purchased from. If you tell your friend to visit a few LFS in his area maybe he might be able to source a supplier.

Wow, that's a great deal on this fixture! Do you think it is sufficient to cover a 24" X 24" X20" cube?

Also, forgive my ignorance, but why the apprehension over the 30W LED's? Also, it lists the manufacturer of the LED's as "semiLED"? Is this a reliable manufacturer?

I think this would be perfect on a 24x24x20 tank. The spread can be adjusted by mounting the fixture higher or lower to get the tank exposed to light evenly.

The 30W LEDs haven't proved themselves yet... there is still much to be found out about them. The biggest thing that led me to stay away from the 30W LEDs is the potential heat it could cause. Heat is the biggest enemy of LED longevity and with a big emitter of heat like the 30W LED, I was afraid of it decreasing the life of the other LEDs on the lamp. I personally have had no experience with them yet so I can't say that they're junk, but I can't say that they're good either. Not too sure about the semiLED manufacture either... but the good thing with this version that I have (110w), if any LEDs fail, I can most likely swap them out better quality LEDs (CREEs). Should be a simple resoldering of the connections :)

ALSO: I'm planning on getting some SPS to fill in the edges/corners of the tank later this week, will post updates and more pics this weekend :)

I think this would be perfect on a 24x24x20 tank. The spread can be adjusted by mounting the fixture higher or lower to get the tank exposed to light evenly.

My only worry is that since the unit is only 15 inches long, I would have to hang this rather high to get full coverage and since it has no optics par reading near the bottom would be weak. I just don't want to order this from halfway around the world only to find out I needed the 160W model. The 160W model is a minor incremental cost, but without dimmers I might be overdoing it with those 30W LED's (plus the unknown reliability issue of course). Thanks for your input.. These look really sweet for the price.

I will definitely do some searching, it literally saves me all the drilling, soldering work besides this fixture looks just slick! I read they had some issue with their fan pretty noisy, but new version fixed this. Do u know if your model is the newer one?

Sorry, I have no idea which store it was purchased from. If you tell your friend to visit a few LFS in his area maybe he might be able to source a supplier.

NebraskaDocs

Someone get this guy a PAR meter...data is needed.

I can also confirm that these are available to be shipped to the US. I contacted ReefShops mid November and got a quote, $330 shipped for 110w, but never pulled the trigger. Very interested to see PAR readings, and how they change with the fixture raised higher up. Looks beautiful so far (tank and fixture both).

Looks like the Maxspect "G2" is already awaiting imminent release (End of January). Supposedly features moonlights, a "purple-blue" LED (what's that for?), and "other unknown features".. I'm hoping for a dimmer myself..

http://www.nanoreefblog.com/nano-reef-news...for-end-january

Nice, I knew the G2 would be released soon, I like how they're actively doing upgrades to the units allowing for a more competitive fixture.

Moonlights will be nice, the purple-blue LED is probably some sort of UV LED to activate more fluorescence from corals maybe? I'm thinking they're adding it to help correct some color balancing that's produced from the white 30W LEDs, it'd give more options for them to change color temps to match T5HO's with their "red and purple" bulb choices.

I too hope a dimmer will be released in future models, it certainly would make for a more versatile unit especially neat for allowing gradual ramping up to a pre-set level to simulate dawn/dusk cycles more accurately.

The current controller embedded into the power supply is designed quite well, if they make any improvements on that I'm sure this light will be even more desireable.

So happy, managed to pick up a trio of Tryssogobius colini yesterday over at LiveAquaria's Divers Den after what seems like months of waiting and calling around. Their common name is the BLUE EYE DART GOBY that DaveFason mentioned back in post #52. They stay more or less 1" and I think will be a great addition to my tank with the current goby collection that I have.

Here's a pic from LiveAquaria:

lg-0106101-097t.jpg

Should be getting them shipped today for delivery tomorrow... also picked up some nice ORA frags to finalize my SPS collection.

I'm particularly bummed that I didn't manage to snag the group of Apogon parvulus though, LiveAquaria had a group of 5 for $60 yesterday and I was about 10 minutes shy of grabbing them :( The common name for these fellas are the "Red Spot Cardinal", normally they don't do well in captivity, but the beauty of these fish is striking to me and I would really like to try my hand at keeping a small group.

lg-0106101-131v.jpg

Nice find Sushi. Too bad that you missed on the Apagon parvulus group as the combination would have been amazing.

What ORA SPS did you pick up?

Nice find Sushi. Too bad that you missed on the Apagon parvulus group as the combination would have been amazing.

What ORA SPS did you pick up?

Yea, I thought I'd grab that group too but I guess I spent too much time browsing so someone else picked it up instead. It wasn't meant to be, they will probably slowly perish anyways so I might as well stay away from them and focus on getting a nice mix of gobies instead :)

I picked up an ORA Red Planet (one of the coolest SPS they offer IMO), also a ORA True Blue Oregon Tort and a ORA Blue Iris Acro. Kinda pricey but I had some credit from an existing order ;) I'll also be picking up some ORA Green Birdsnest from a local reefer amongst other SPS.

Will definitely post some pics when I get them in, I'm most excited about the Blue Eye Dart Gobies though... just hope they do well in my tank with the Eviota pellucida (gold neon eviota) and Elacatinus multifasciatum (green banded) gobies. Eventually I want to add a pair of captive raised Neon Gobies as well (when I can find them that is).

I so glad you picked those up. I was about 10 minutes late ;)

I think a group of 10 of those would be stunning! Please post pictures when you receive them, I will be refreshing NR all day with me being off tomorrow.

-Dave

There is another group of red spots coming up tonight. Sorry I'm the one that got that group that you have pictured there :)

Aw you're the one! At least it's a small world... please keep us updated on how well it does in your tank. You do have the continuous feeder going on so I'm willing to bet that they might fare better in your tank than others.

I so glad you picked those up. I was about 10 minutes late ;)

I think a group of 10 of those would be stunning! Please post pictures when you receive them, I will be refreshing NR all day with me being off tomorrow.

-Dave

I wish there was a group of 10 of them! I think three suits my purposes perfectly. I don't know much about the Blue Eye Dart Goby just yet besides that they are tiny and that care isn't too different from other small gobies. I wonder if they're the "rockwork" type of gobies or more of a water column goby. I guess I'll find out in a few days :)

I'll be sure to do a FTS and update with pictures of the new additions this weekend.

Archived