Top Shelf Aquatics

Sushi's ELOS

Sushi

so i am going to copy your rock work k thanks... :) awesome job stuff is looking so nice, i love the dendros

a couple of questions, i would like to turn the tank i currently have right now, its a 8 gallon cube tank into a fresh water tank..the coral is going into my new cube. Can u throw some tips my way? I always wanted to have a planted fresh water tank. Thanks man :)

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nice :)

Where is Bumblee shrimp pictures?

Huh? :huh: I don't have bumblebee shrimp! Just 2 skunk cleaners... That's Dave Fason with the BB shrimps :happy:

so i am going to copy your rock work k thanks... :) awesome job stuff is looking so nice, i love the dendros

a couple of questions, i would like to turn the tank i currently have right now, its a 8 gallon cube tank into a fresh water tank..the coral is going into my new cube. Can u throw some tips my way? I always wanted to have a planted fresh water tank. Thanks man :)

Thanks for the comment, all I have to say is that cubed FW tanks are much easier to "scape" than SW tanks. In FW tanks you can use the height of rocks to create depth and twigs (if it's to your liking) to fill in void spaces. Check out plantedtank.net, and look at amano's scapes. Truly inspirational!

ric garden looks sweet.

Thanks.

Also, an update on my tank - did some remodeling in the sump this weekend. Swapped things around BIG TIME, when I have some time to clean up I'll post some pics up to share what has changed.

Also, an update on my tank - did some remodeling in the sump this weekend. Swapped things around BIG TIME, when I have some time to clean up I'll post some pics up to share what has changed.

God, please share, the default sump design leaves MUCH to be desired.

God, please share, the default sump design leaves MUCH to be desired.

Bump, please share! :D

Have a Tunze 9002 on the way to replace the NS.

Bump, please share! :D

Have a Tunze 9002 on the way to replace the NS.

Sorry for the delay, I didn't quite have time to clean up my sump so I just took a quick snapshot. I'm detailing the re-routing of the sump below.

wow!!! your tank is absolutely beautiful!!

Thank you! :P

Update on the tank - in October, I pulled the sump out and redid the flowpath. First thing I did (since sump was wet), was turned off the return, let the backflow from the tank stop filling and removed about 3 or 4 gallons of sump water. I also drained the freshwater from the top-off reservoir and took out all equipment the heater/top-off/probes etc.

Once the sump was able to be handled outside of the stand, I removed the back baffle (slanted piece of glass) with a razor blade, some elbow grease, and about 15 minutes of careful scraping. The main purpose of this was to make the return chamber larger. I flipped the sump 180 degrees around so that the top-off reservoir was repositioned to the RIGHT side of the stand. The incoming flow from the drain was subsequently diverted to the filter sock chamber where the skimmer used to discharge out of. The flow path would push water past the filter sock chamber into the chamber with the circle overflow, and finally through the black baffle into the return chamber.

Regarding the skimmer, I grew tired of trying to adjust the skimmer that came with the Mini (NS100) so I put a Tunze 9002 in the chamber following the filter sock. I was pleasantly surprised at what a nice fit it was and that the water line in that chamber is easily controlled to allow the 9002 to efficiently skim. I will admit that it's a tight fit, but it's got some wiggle room on 4 sides. Also, I want to mention that I had to remove the top trim of the sump so that the skimmer cup would be more easily accessible. With the trim on, I found that the clearance for the removal of the skimmer cup was a bit tight (had to tilt and angle the cup out), so I just got rid of it for ease of access.

To help eradicate the microbubble issue, I placed a bag of chemipure underneath the filter sock (since flow travels underneath the baffle to the next chamber), and some live rock rubble in the return compartment following the black baffle. I put a variety of macro in the return compartment along with the LR. I'm hoping the macro will take off eventually aiding in some nutrient export.

Finally, a picture to describe what I did. Please excuse the messiness I didn't have time to properly route the wires yet and wipe down the sump, but you can get an idea of what the sump looks like now with the flow diverted. Also, this is about 10 days worth of skimmate from the 9002, not bad when compared to the finicky NS100.

IMG_1992.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Daniel,

Beautiful tank! Those ELOS systems are gorgeous and I really like your idea of the LED panel for use under the cabinet. A few questions which are a bit off-topic:

1) What camera/lens are you using to snap those close-ups of your fish? I just bought myself a Canon 5D and I am looking into Macro and Fisheye lenses now.

2) Where did you find your rimless Freshwater aquarium? That is beautiful! I currently have a 55g African Cichlid Tank, but plan on setting up a planted tank of my own and wanted to go the rimless route. I was looking into the Fluval Edge systems, but I am a bit concerned with the small opening...

Thanks!

-Carl

Daniel,

Beautiful tank! Those ELOS systems are gorgeous and I really like your idea of the LED panel for use under the cabinet. A few questions which are a bit off-topic:

1) What camera/lens are you using to snap those close-ups of your fish? I just bought myself a Canon 5D and I am looking into Macro and Fisheye lenses now.

2) Where did you find your rimless Freshwater aquarium? That is beautiful! I currently have a 55g African Cichlid Tank, but plan on setting up a planted tank of my own and wanted to go the rimless route. I was looking into the Fluval Edge systems, but I am a bit concerned with the small opening...

Thanks!

-Carl

Thanks Carl, I'm using a simple point and shoot (Canon SD750) for my pictures. I just recently got the Canon G11 over the holidays and will be using that from now on to take my shots :) I'd recommend the macro lens first for your 5D, great camera by the way! Regarding the nano FWP tank, I found the tank at my local LFS, it was a small 8x8x8" tank (2 gallons) and is made by "Alife" - it wasn't rimless when I purchased it, I had to de-rim the tank. You can't go wrong with ADA tanks these days, especially if you're doing FWP. Good luck!

Daniel, the tank looks awesome.. Definitely well thought out. What else do you plan on adding?

Thanks man, I'm probably going to take things slow now, and let some of my corals grow in. The zoas are taking off quite well and my SPS seem to be doing good too. The corals that I lost are some rics from my ric garden and some Aussie Acans. Also lost a clam to a horrible infestation of pyramid snails.

I have changed up a few things in the tank (some corals) and also swapped out the lighting. I'll have updates soon :)

OK guys, so I have something special to share with you guys :)

This last week I managed to get my hands on the new MAXSPECT LED light systems. The model I have is the LED-G1-400-110w fixture with 18 blue and 18 white LEDs. Dimensions are 400L x 180W x 45H (mm). This might be one of the first fixtures into the US, and I wanted to share pics with you guys. Please don't PM me asking if I can get you one, I can't. Thanks guys, enjoy the first set of pics... second set of pics will be on my tank :)

Unboxing - 01

maxspect-01.jpg

Unboxing - 02

maxspect-02.jpg

Unboxing - 03

maxspect-03.jpg

Unboxing - 04

maxspect-04.jpg

Papers

maxspect-05.jpg

Fixture (OFF)

maxspect-06.jpg

Fixture (WHITE ON)

maxspect-07.jpg

Fixture (BLUE ON)

maxspect-08.jpg

Fixture (ALL ON)

maxspect-09.jpg

Power Supply

maxspect-10.jpg

Again, please don't PM me asking where to get this light... I can't and won't get more. Thanks!

I've only had the fixture for less than a week so I don't have that much time with it yet, but my first impressions are very good. This is supposed to be the "updated" version with quieter fans so they aren't loud. The heatsink temperature rarely strays above 30 deg Celsius, and the power supply seems to emit little heat as well. As time passes we will be able to comment about longevity but as of right now, it has met every expectation that I've had and more. The actinics on this thing is nuts!

Is it a lot better compared to the Elos E-lite?

Yep, its a whole lot better from first glance. The light has better spread, better color (somewhere around 20K as opposed to the e-lite's 10K-12K). The only drawback I find so far is the mounting legs are short and don't provide much height when attached to the tank.

I'm out of town right now so I can't get any pictures up, but I will definitely get some more shots when I return. Right now I'm light acclimating the corals in my tank with some eggcrate and mesh. The corals seem to be doing well and I'm already seeing fluorescence that I've never been able to see with an e-lite. Blue LEDs are simply amazing :)

I should have more pics up by the weekend. I'm also thinking about making a light bar out of conduit too. Pics will be with the mountings legs for now, the light bar will probably come later next year :)

Archived