Pod Your Reef

Sushi's ELOS

Sushi

So who got the group of redspots that went up tonight?

Sushi my redspots are not going in the mini. I will have these in a new marine planted tank I am setting up (ADA 120-P). For now they are going in a 20L.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so you got those gobies huh, theyre so tiny. hardy though

Hardy? That's good to hear... couldn't find much info on them so I'll take your word for it.

So who got the group of redspots that went up tonight?

Sushi my redspots are not going in the mini. I will have these in a new marine planted tank I am setting up (ADA 120-P). For now they are going in a 20L.

Ahh I see... either way they'll look good in any tank they go into.

Equipment Update:

I managed to snag a KILLER deal on two Razel Syringe Pumps this week. Paid $70 shipped for two of them with a 1/24 motor... Initially I wanted to use them to feed food into the tank but since I got a set of 2 now, I'm not 100% sure what I want to do with them yet. I can use one for dosing supplements and the other for food, or both for food, or both for supplements. Either way I'll be fiddling around with them for the next few weeks.

What's a good "food" mix for fish/corals that doesn't require refrigeration? Suggestions?

did u get the gobies yet because i might have bought them if u didnt. :)

The Blue Eyed Gobies? I picked them up on Wednesday, they should be delivered later today in the afternoon. Did LiveAquaria have another batch of Blue Eyed Gobies?

What's a good "food" mix for fish/corals that doesn't require refrigeration? Suggestions?

The Blue Eyed Gobies? I picked them up on Wednesday, they should be delivered later today in the afternoon. Did LiveAquaria have another batch of Blue Eyed Gobies?

i dont think so why?

i dont think so why?

Nevermind... just curious if they released another batch, guess not.

Update:

LiveAquaria just contacted me, my order will be delayed due to weather conditions out of Wisconsin :( Poor fish have to go through another day of shipping b/c of delay. I just hope the upgrade for delivery on Saturday gets worked out on their part, last thing I want is to receive the package on Monday. I hope everything works out, I hate shipping delays.

Nevermind... just curious if they released another batch, guess not.

Update:

LiveAquaria just contacted me, my order will be delayed due to weather conditions out of Wisconsin :( Poor fish have to go through another day of shipping b/c of delay. I just hope the upgrade for delivery on Saturday gets worked out on their part, last thing I want is to receive the package on Monday. I hope everything works out, I hate shipping delays.

Interesting. I got my shipment confirmation from them this afternoon, no notice of delay.

For food dosing... unless its super concentrated or suspended in a gel the stuff is gonna settle out in the syringe and the tubing. If you want pods everywhere, you can use one of the pumps to dose Shellfish Diet. It's extremely dense and will give you a pod explosion. Then your fish can have live food (if they eat pods, which I think most gobies do). The # of pods in my tank is directly proportional to the amount of phyto I dose.

Amazing gobies! I hope they become more common.

I hope so too, they are rather hard to find and I never see them at any LFS.

Interesting. I got my shipment confirmation from them this afternoon, no notice of delay.

For food dosing... unless its super concentrated or suspended in a gel the stuff is gonna settle out in the syringe and the tubing. If you want pods everywhere, you can use one of the pumps to dose Shellfish Diet. It's extremely dense and will give you a pod explosion. Then your fish can have live food (if they eat pods, which I think most gobies do). The # of pods in my tank is directly proportional to the amount of phyto I dose.

I guess you got lucky :( My shipment is delayed until Monday, the package didn't leave Tennessee until this morning. I don't have high hopes for this order since it was shipped on Thursday and won't be arriving until Monday. That's going to be approximately 4 days in transit in who knows what kind of conditions; I will be giving LiveAquaria a call later today to let them know my concerns. It's a shame, I just hope the fish will be fine... -_-

Thanks for the tip on Shellfish Diet, I'll definitely consider it as one of the food mixes. I'll keep doing some research to find other options.

I hope so too, they are rather hard to find and I never see them at any LFS.

I guess you got lucky :( My shipment is delayed until Monday, the package didn't leave Tennessee until this morning. I don't have high hopes for this order since it was shipped on Thursday and won't be arriving until Monday. That's going to be approximately 4 days in transit in who knows what kind of conditions; I will be giving LiveAquaria a call later today to let them know my concerns. It's a shame, I just hope the fish will be fine... -_-

Thanks for the tip on Shellfish Diet, I'll definitely consider it as one of the food mixes. I'll keep doing some research to find other options.

That really blows man. I just got my package this morning. I hope your fish make it!

I read somewhere that there is a gel type fish food that comes in a tube or something like that. It is in one of the build threads here. That would work great with a syringe pump. Something you might experiment with is defrosting some cyclopleeze, mix with vitamin C for preservation and see if that can be pushed through the syringe and tube without any liquid added to it. Or look into getting some alginate and suspend the food in that (along with vit C). Only thing is figuring out how much alginate to use.

That really blows man. I just got my package this morning. I hope your fish make it!

I read somewhere that there is a gel type fish food that comes in a tube or something like that. It is in one of the build threads here. That would work great with a syringe pump. Something you might experiment with is defrosting some cyclopleeze, mix with vitamin C for preservation and see if that can be pushed through the syringe and tube without any liquid added to it. Or look into getting some alginate and suspend the food in that (along with vit C). Only thing is figuring out how much alginate to use.

Thanks Uhuru, I'm going to try my hand at some Reef Nutrition Products. Going to order the small 6oz versions of Oyster Feast, Phyto Feast and Roti Feast and see which ones are easier to work with and have good results.

Hope your group of Apogon parvulus do well for you! I'm hoping my package will be fine, but given the circumstances there isn't much hope I can spare. We'll see what happens on Monday.

Thanks Uhuru, I'm going to try my hand at some Reef Nutrition Products. Going to order the small 6oz versions of Oyster Feast, Phyto Feast and Roti Feast and see which ones are easier to work with and have good results.

Hope your group of Apogon parvulus do well for you! I'm hoping my package will be fine, but given the circumstances there isn't much hope I can spare. We'll see what happens on Monday.

FWIW I've had fish survive 3 days before, and this was in very cold weather as well.

Got the package today... arrived at around 1PM PST, been in transit for 96 hours.

Unfortunately nothing made it, no corals, no fish... :(

Called LiveAquaria about it, they were understanding of it but man... does it suck to receive a package like that! Opening the bags up knowing you're going to get a nasty whiff of rot and decaying coral or fish.

OH yea... the box was 32 lbs, imagine how many dead things I had to unbag.

:tears: ...Still bummed about the poor fish and corals... :tears:

Anyways, cleaned up the tank a little... also managed to make some light bars out of conduit. I spray-painted the bars a flat grey to match my stand door. Believe it or not, the project cost less than $10.00 to make. All in all it was a fun DIY project that spanned about 4-6 hours over a two day period. I would definitely recommend it those who have been on the fence but haven't gone around to doing it.

New addition is the gorgonian from LiveAquaria (from an unrelated order to the recent loss); it's called a "Rusty Gorgonian" and is supposedly photosynthetic as per LiveAquaria's description. As a precaution and to help supplement the diet, I've been trying to feed rotifers and cyclopeeze daily. Not 100% set on placement yet, as you can see there's a big one in the opening towards the back, and a smaller one on the left in the middle area. Might move the big one a bit to the right, we'll see.

Here is the first "legit" FTS of the new year:

2010-Jan-FTS.jpg

Actinics Only:

2010-Jan-Actinics.jpg

Corner Shot with new light bar and MAXSPECT 110w fixture:

January2010-001.jpg

Photo of my "dendro" cave:

2010-Jan-DendroCave.jpg

Some pics with actinics (zoas/lps):

2010-Jan-ActinicZoas.jpg

Duncan with actinics only:

2010-Jan-ActinicsDuncan.jpg

Hope you guys like the pics, didn't use a tripod this time. Still want to do some proper macro shots of the corals but haven't gotten the proper motivation yet... :)

Ahh, and as you can see I'm battling a bit of cyano on the sandbed. Might've been from nutrient build-up when I had my skimmer unplugged for maintenance (cleaning the pump). Wasn't skimming for about a week b/c I got lazy and didn't put it back into the tank. It's back in now as of today so I'm hoping the cyano will go away shortly. Going to do a 10% water change later this week too :)

Really sorry to hear that the package wasn't exactly a joy to open :( Like you said, although you know that LA will take care of you, just sucks to lose the critters like that.

I've been battling a bit of cyano on my sand bed as well...pretty much smack dab in the middle of my tank just like yours. I think mine is more due to turning back the vortech a bit as the Acans struggle with too much and needing to replace my RO/DI membrane.

Nice work on the light bar....may I ask how you mounted it in the back?

Did they say that they have more of the blue eye dart gobies? They will group regardless so thats a good thing.

Have you figured how you want to constantly feed your tank?

-Dave

I've been battling a bit of cyano on my sand bed as well...pretty much smack dab in the middle of my tank just like yours. I think mine is more due to turning back the vortech a bit as the Acans struggle with too much and needing to replace my RO/DI membrane.

Nice work on the light bar....may I ask how you mounted it in the back?

I'm thinking it might have to do with my upgrade in lighting too; being that more light is now concentrated in the tank, but likely it's a combination of a variety of factors. The light bars are mounted onto the stand via conduit clamps (2 each per bar for a total of 4 clamps). They are the "single hook" version like these:

1215118548_1209_FT134219_conduit_clamp.jpg

Did they say that they have more of the blue eye dart gobies? They will group regardless so thats a good thing.

Have you figured how you want to constantly feed your tank?

-Dave

LiveAquaria credited my account, I'll just have to keep my eye out on DiversDen for them. I know they've been popping up almost every day for the last week or so but they're gone within minutes of DD's update so I'll have to try my luck at that again. As for constantly feeding, I just got my Razel Syringe Pumps in today... Haven't hooked it up yet, as I don't have any of the food mixes I have planned in my possession. I'll probably order some Oyster Feast, Roti Feast, and Shellfish Diet in the next week or so. Going to just use a small/medium sized syringe at first to see how it works out. :happy:

theyre natural shoalers? thats kinda rare for gobies I think

That's what I've been hearing too, problem is... how do I get my hands on a large enough group of them without spending $100-200? LiveAquaria certainly has a great selection... but their prices hurt :o

new FTSs = de-friggin-lightful!

love those duncans.

Thanks! They definitely attract a lot of attention, especially under actinics. They're the biggest and fattest thing in my tank right now.

That sucks about the shipment, Sushi. :o

But the tanks looking absolutely amazing. A little birdie told me you've got a light being made... ;) Not upgrading again already, are you?

Thanks :happy: , not upgrading... I have the aspirations of having this tank fully mature and hopefully grown in nicely so I'm not going to do anything else drastic to this tank (for the time being at least).

That other light is for my other nano. ;)

Archived