Top Shelf Aquatics

Disaster's 80gal + 15gal SPS Reef Tank

disaster999

I am sure your new tank will be as great as this one. What are the dims of the tank you ordered then? Also, you mentioned your lighting not being enough. What are you planning on doing?

the tank would have the same foot print as my current one, just 6 inches shorter so its 40x20x24"

lighting is enough to keep anything anywhere i want. with my 30" tall tank i was able to keep birdnest on the sand bed. i just want to reduce the cost of replacing bulbs each year and go with LED.

oh no! damn aiptasia :angry:

tell me about it. i have 2 peppermint shrimp in my tank for a few months and they have no cleared any of the aiptasia. i thought they were eaten since i never see them, but low and behold they were flopping away in my rocks and in the bottom of the bucket when i removed all the rocks

Sorry to hear about the tear down. It sucks but at least a new tank is on its way.

nothing to be sorry about, it had to be done for the new tank to come. moving the sand would suck big time tho. im going to reuse the sand since my rocks are pretty much dead right now and have to cycle again. the sand will help with my filtration somewhat.

yup,im gonna keep that for as long as it fits in my tank.

im pretty stoked to get my hands on the new tank and setting it up. im still thinking about how to mount the lights tho. the family wont let me drill the ceiling and hang it so i have to think of another way to hang the lights. was thinking about getting some copper pipes, bend and L shape and mount it at the back of the stand. problem is trying to mount the pipes to the back of the stand without moving it. thats gonna be challenging.

• 2 weeks later...

i thought it would be a pretty boring weekend this friday night. i havent heard back from the shop if my tank is ready yet. i thought i would be playing diablo 2 all weekend trying to lvl my character in hardcore. but after dinner i got a call from the shop that my tank arrived and is ready to be deliver. i asked them if they can deliver it tomorrow and they said yes.

so woke up this morning, emptied whats left inside my tank

IMAG0153.jpg

got all my corals and fish sitting in a 35gal tub

IMAG0154.jpg

got my rocks and sand ready and waiting for the new tank to come

IMAG0155.jpg

out with the old, in with the new...sorry for the crappy picture

IMAG0156.jpg

i had to rush to my local reef forum dinner gathering so i slapped together a rock scape in 30 mins (which came out pretty good if i say so myself) and plopped down all my corals

_DSC2757.JPG

heres the old tank being abandoned

_DSC2758.JPG

heres the tank an hour later. everything cleared right up.

_DSC2760.JPG

theres still some kinks i have to work out. i gotta replace the super restrictive gate valve and probably replace it with a ball valve. i gotta dial in the tunze pump as it seem to be putting out too much flow right now. i gotta get a hanging kit to hang the light. right now i have it resting on the tank and it look super ugly. i gotta skin the light fixture too so it looks kinda sleek-ish.

and for those who follows the growth of my frogspawn i have some bad news. while picking it up to move it to the tub it fragged itself. i guess the branch wasnt strong enough to support it own weight and it just snapped. 1/3 of it broke off. i have the 2/3 sitting at its usual spot while the rest is behind the rocks. i will probably frag it into individual heads and sell it out.

Edited by disaster999
  • 2 weeks later...

after having my tank at the same location for 2 years, my parents decided they didnt like how my new tank turned out, mostly because i wasnt done with setting up, i was still waiting on parts and waiting for the person who agreed to take my tank to actually take it. so they decided i need to move my tank to another part of the house.

sigh i really like my rock work too right now. i will need to get tubes and tubes of epoxy putty and try to lock everything in place since i know i will never be able get it to look the same after i move it.

this really sucks. i hate moving my stupid tank.

thanks, gonna move the tank this saturday. gonna take me the whole day to break it down move and setting it back up.

i guess the only good thing this brings is i can actually mount the arm to hang my lights on my stand more easily than working with a 2" gap.ill also be able to manage my wires better.

keep you guys posted on the move.

hope i dont lose anymore corals

today was the big move. nearly 12 hours later i finally finished moving the tank and setting it up the way i wanted. didnt take any progress pics, i just wanted to get this done and over with. did get some finished shots

water still havent cleared completely. still a little hazy from the move

_DSC2761.JPG

_DSC2764.JPG

Side shot

_DSC2766.JPG

surface agitation

_DSC2767.JPG

the light bar thats hanging my light

_DSC2769.JPG

Tee off from the drain to feed the chiller. dont have to rely on a pump and save a few on energy bill

_DSC2771.JPG

a better view. everything from the drain will now get go through the filter sock. hopefully this cuts down on floating particles in the tank

_DSC2773.JPG

thanks, im quite pleased with the setup.

im not sure how much of it is going into the chiller. it seemed the same as using a 450gph pump. weather is pretty cool right now so the chiller doesnt kick in that often

tell me about it. im glad its all over now. theres still little things to take care off. gotta skin the light so it doesnt look that ugly. i have to clean my reflectors since there are a lot of salt splashes on it right now. hopefully that improves my light output since i feel like the tank isnt as bright as before. i might lower my light 2 inches for better penetration.

still debating if i should upgrade my light to a 48 3W CREE LEDs running at 100% + 2 T5HO bulbs to balance out the spectrum.

seems like you guys need some visual aid to see how fussy the sps is...ill post up some pictures tonight....

meanwhile, my head gears are turning and im 99% sure im pulling the trigger in this skimmer

cs1-blackpearl_md.png

cs1-kit_md.png

the DIY part is a HUGE reason why i want this skimmer.

http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/product/...one-Skimmer-Kit

Edited by disaster999
omgomgomg gorgeous!!

Looking Good...

I love the look of your new tank. The scape looks really good after the inhouse move.

I really like the new scape. I have heard good things about that skimmer btw. If you get it, post a video of it up and running.

yeah im quite pleased with it.

checking out reviews online and watching videos and it does seem a pretty nice skimmer. with it being a kit that you build yourself it helps bring down the cost and im sure ill enjoy building it. ill definitely post vids of me putting it together and the skimmer in action.