ReefCleaners.org

Disaster's 80gal + 15gal SPS Reef Tank

disaster999

disaster999
disaster, your tank and camera skills are awsome. Very nice!!!

gg

thanks gg.

Nice tank!

I know your in China but was wondering about the Cree's. Where can we buy them that cheap for?

there is a online shop in china which is similar to ebay. although we can get cree at a cheaper price, there isnt much to choose from. we dont know exactly what bin they came from, their wavelength or color spectrum. its near impossible to find RB and NW leds here. we can get china LED for really cheap which gets the job done as well. but coming from china, quality will be lower than cree and still cant get the same spectrum as advertised.

disaster999

thanks seabass.

few days ago my friend asked me if i am interested in sharing a shipment from the Paracel Islands. we are buying 2 boxes of SPS at around 50 bucks each. each box contains around 20+ sps. just got word that the shipment might arrive on saturday. its going to be a busy day if it actually comes. pretty excited about it.

Hey there Disaster thanks for the input/ideas. I think you may be right that its time to work on tracking the husbandry a little more. Starting a new notebook so we'll see. Thanks.

Now for those pics. WOW!!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
disaster999

i was bored from studying, so turned on the lights on my tank and took a few pictures of my sps when their polyps are fully extended

new sunset milli i got, doesnt really look like it at this angle tho, ill take a top down shot later

_DSC5958.JPG

_DSC5961.JPG

other sps

_DSC5959.JPG

_DSC5960.JPG

_DSC5964.JPG

_DSC5965.JPG

_DSC5966.JPG

_DSC5967.JPG

this one is grew with the current, its right near the path of my wave maker.

_DSC5963.JPG

disaster999

borrowed my friends d300s to play with since he has a d700, so new camera means new pictures. also, i made an acrylic camera box so i can take top down pics without turning off my pumps or be perfectly perpendicular to the surface to minimize distortion.

DSC_8881.JPG

DSC_8883.JPG

DSC_8887.JPG

DSC_8915.JPG

DSC_8890.JPG

DSC_8891.JPG

DSC_8892.JPG

DSC_8888.JPG

DSC_8910.JPG

DSC_8913.JPG

DSC_8916.JPG

DSC_8920.JPG

FTS

DSC_8899.JPG

disaster999

i can give you my birdnests haha. they grow like weeds. i just finished handing out 15 frags last week. i still have 2 colonies i have to frag out.

the acro on the top left is growing very nicely as well. gonna frag that soon too.

• 3 weeks later...
disaster999

went on a shopping spree

IMAG0447.jpg

couple this with my 6100 this will definitely create some nice flow in my tank. sold off my DIY controller and selling the K4.

video to come, stay tuned

You know the best part about this tank & why I love it so much is that even though its sps dominant it doesn't just look like a bunch of colored sticks. the way most end up.

Edited by bitts
disaster999

thanks bitts,

maybe i think the reason most tanks you see looks like a bunch of colored sticks is because they are finger frags? they are hard to come by here, most people sell colony sized sps unless you are fragging and trading with people.

My true perc clown fish pair started to lay legs last night. had to bust out the camera.

I think the purple tang wanted a 3 way :)

Beautiful tank. Really dig everything about it.

Gah, stop making me want SPS already! When I first attempted a reef the lfs was basically there to take my money (I was 14 and didn't know better) and the second coral they sold me was a pink birds nest. I kept it alive under 130w 50/50 PC lights practically at the waters surface (again, didn't know better). It lasted maybe 3 months and never grew. That kind of discouraged me from SPS all together but this tank makes me want to take a crack at it after I get some successful experiences under my belt (and definitely a MH light upgrade).

Taking it slowly this time and working my way up. So far so good!

Again, thanks for sharing this amazing tank with us.

disaster999

your welcome.

dont get discouraged with sps, some of them are really picky about the water condition and flow. some really needs intense lighting. i have some frags that never grew for over a year. some just grows like weeds. you just gotta have patients with them, keep your water quality up and will be rewarded.