Coral Vue Hydros

Disaster's 80gal + 15gal SPS Reef Tank

disaster999

disaster999

while looking at my tank last night i noticed one of my sps had some expected growth. i only had this frag for less than a month and already saw signs of growth. i was curious if another frag that i had have some growth as well that i didnt notice before so i took some pictures.

Feb 10

_DSC5609.JPG

Mar 14

_DSC5749.JPG

Feb 21

_DSC5662.JPG_DSC5668.JPG

Mar 14

_DSC5747.JPG

There's this incredible sense of inadequateness's that comes from looking at your tank. But you already knew this, didn't you.

disaster999

man, my tank isnt all THAT great. when it comes to planning your miles ahead of me. i just go head first into everything and regret my decision later. thus the sump change

I just can't get live stock to do anything for me. I can get it to stay alive & grow slowly, but not get that wow factor.

disaster999

thats a tough one...its a combination of using the right equipment, the right water conditions and the right care...

what i have in my tank

~400L water, 105gal

ro/di water

reef crystal salt

7x39w t5ho with icecap reflectors

tunze 6100 pump on diy wave maker

koralia 4 pump

4000L return

bubble magus nac6a skimmer

1/4hp chiller

bio pellets

kent reef carbon

200W heater

17x3W LED for frags

how i normally keep my parms

calc:400ppm

dkh: 9-10

mg: 1300ppm

ammonia:0

NO2: 0

NO3: 0

PO4: 0

pH: 8-8.2

maintenance:

water change once or twice a month at 10% (im lazy)

dose kent turbo calc, arm and hammer baking soda, brightwell mg powder every few days to keep parms.

clean glass every 2-3 days or whenever theres an algae film

scrape the bake wall and overflow of coralline algae. whenever i start to see some showing up

clean the skimmer every week.

i try to keep my hand out of the water as much as possible.

feeding

2 pinches of pellet food each day. one meat based, other algae based.

1 bottle of prodibio reefbooster every week or so

1 heavy feeding of DIY fish food every 1 or 2. food consists of mashed shrimp, shimp eggs, clam, squid, crab leg meat, kent zeocon, garlic, freeze dry cyclopeeze, goldfish pellets, mysis shrimp, krill

i might be missing something but thats pretty much what i do with my tank.

If you don't mind I'm somewhat copying your sump design in a smaller scale. Will be building a 40 breeder tank soon and I'm planing everything. Love how its organized and having a small frag area is a must

looking great!

A question, is that frag with the red macro algae the turf type? That's not good right?

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm thinking that is something to avoid.

disaster999

yeah thats the dreaded algae that im trying to eradicate from my tank but its not really work :(

my tank was infected with those people and i tried to kill them by killing my rocks, but the base of all my sps and some corals already have some red turf algae growing on them and its hard to kill them without killing my sps.

not sure what else i can do right now than just ride it out :\

disaster999

i havent tried them, i heard good things about it. but then i also know they have a nick name called "tank" here. they just mow down everything in its path even if the frags are secured with epoxy.

also, i have this branch like rock which is starting to cover with that stuff and it would be pretty impossible for it to go into every crack and eat it. but at least it can keep the surface clean...but the though of it knocking down everything in its path puts me off

disaster999
Great growth on the SPS. Tank looks great. Well done!

thanks =) i just wish some of my SPS will have the same growth as these 2. i had them for more than a year and its the same size the day i bought it =(

Regardless, it still looks great!

thanks. it would be better without it, tho.

disaster999

our local reef club had a get together on saturday. a bunch of us went to visit a few member's tank, had lunch and dinner and chat about SPS husbandry. i had 2 reefers who lived near buy come over to check out my tank first before we headed out to join the group. they bought along some sps frags for me to try. the reefer who's tank we visited also had a bunch of frags for us to take home which i thought was really nice of them. i just hope my tank can keep them happy and not brown them too much. coming from a zeovit tank to a regular tank must be hard for the corals. i gotta take good care of them and return the favor.

heres some pictures from saturday

zeovit system. sps garden. LED+T5HO lighting. truly amazing.

_DSC5776.JPG

lights consisted of 4x 54W T5HO and a LED fixture which is i THINK locally made.

_DSC5778.JPG

equipment shot, bubble king 3000 skimmer, KZ zeovit rock reactor, H&S calcium reactor, everything labeled, super organized...

_DSC5803.JPG

bunch of us crowding his tank in awe.

_DSC5784.JPG

saw this little guy perched on his sps...my new favorite fish.

_DSC5785.JPG

another reefer's tank, hes a beginner but the tank has potential. the DIY LED light looks like he is running MH.

_DSC5806.JPG

last reefer's tank we visited...too bad i forgot to take a FTS. but here are some of his SPS

_DSC5810.JPG

_DSC5817.JPG

_DSC5818.JPG

_DSC5820.JPG

you can find the rest of the pictures, mostly sps from the zeovit system, here

https://picasaweb.google.com/disaster999/31...842729559464578

disaster999

heres some frags i got over the weekend from a few local reefers

new frags

acro nana

_DSC5824.JPG

some brown frag which my friend is letting me try out to see if i can bring back its colors

_DSC5839.JPG

frags from the local reefer with the zeovit tank shown above

_DSC5834.JPG

_DSC5835.JPG

_DSC5836.JPG

_DSC5837.JPG

_DSC5838.JPG

disaster999

no comment on the corals? i would think that tank alone will spark up some comments

well i was walking around the local fish street and found a bunch of urchins. i believe its the tux urchins. bought one for 10 bucks and added it to the tank. it instantly went to work and started munching on the stuff. why didnt i get it sooner...

_DSC5843.JPG

Cool urchin man! The acropora Nana looks amazing. Why the others seem so pale color? Maybe need some more time to develop its real colors? Nice additions. Those tanks from the local club are sweet

disaster999

the other frags came from a zeovit system which may or may not contribute to the "pale" colors. a lot of corals from the zeovit system looks very translucent and bright in color.

im surprised that they havent really change much in color yet since my tank isnt running anything besides pellets. maybe its still too early to tell