MJ's 29g Barrel 'O Monkeys

Militant Jurist

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Militant Jurist
Still my favorite av you've had B)

83909monkey_nerd.jpg

I'll be bringing that one back after Halloween. B)

Too much monkey binness

:happy:

Is there really such a thing?

Absolutely not! It's like having too much money, or too much fun. ;)

Militant Jurist

Done! Now that I think about it, I think I used D for last Halloween. I think the smart monkey will be back on Nov. 1. B)

This week has been going so fast that it seems like today should be Friday. At least I'm only one day off.

Militant Jurist

Oh yeah, how could I forget to mention this? I have a meeting in a week or so with an attorney who may be looking to hire me as something like a criminal law department head. The pay would be a bit lower at first, but within 8 months, I think my base pay would increase over my current salary. Because I'd get a cut of fees, the sky would be the limit. The other nice thing is that it would still be a 40 hour per week job, rather than the 60+ at most firms.

Oh yeah, how could I forget to mention this? I have a meeting in a week or so with an attorney who may be looking to hire me as something like a criminal law department head. The pay would be a bit lower at first, but within 8 months, I think my base pay would increase over my current salary. Because I'd get a cut of fees, the sky would be the limit. The other nice thing is that it would still be a 40 hour per week job, rather than the 60+ at most firms.

office-space-motivation1.jpg

Militant Jurist

:lol:

Surprisingly enough, even though I once swore off private practice (especially general practice at a firm), I'm pretty excited about this. I've always loved criminal law, and this job would give me actual responsibility. By way of comparison, what I have now is some pretend responsibility, which consists of trying to guess what my director would prefer to have done, and TPS style research projects.

animalmaster6

Congrats MJ!

Militant Jurist
Subject change, Hey MJ have you read this? Your thoughts?

http://www.abanet.org/publiced/preview/bri...tralAmCuADL.pdf

I haven't followed this case too closely, but I would agree with the ADL's description of the case is very poor, factually, for the Court to make a potentially huge decision. I don't necessarily agree with the ADL's legal argument, thought. I think that attempting to transform a private funeral into a public interest is off. The matter was the burying of a loved one, not "the death of an American marine [sic] in the service of his country." Also, part of First Amendment analysis turns on whether the speech was in a public forum, and I don't believe a funeral has ever been held to be one (public forums are usually streets, sidewalks, etc). It's a complicated case, and from what I've read, the Court of Appeals decision isn't that great for review either. As I've been told before, bad facts make bad law. The best example I can give is the drug cases are heavily responsible for the sad state of the Fourth Amendment.

Congrats MJ!

Thanks! Now I just have to land the job. ;)

This sounds like a fantastic opportunity! B) B) B)

I'm wishing you the best. And don't do anything in your tank the day of the interview. I hear pvt law firms aren't anxious to have their dept heads smell like low tide. :P

Militant Jurist
This sounds like a fantastic opportunity! B) B) B)

I'm wishing you the best. And don't do anything in your tank the day of the interview. I hear pvt law firms aren't anxious to have their dept heads smell like low tide. :P

Thanks! Haha I'll try not too. Speaking of, my tank really does need some maintenance. Stupid GHA.... Although, smelling like low tide could be better than some lawyers I've smelled thus far. Plus, I thought most lawyers were considered to be lower than low. Low tide would be an upgrade!

animalmaster6
Done! Now that I think about it, I think I used D for last Halloween. I think the smart monkey will be back on Nov. 1. B)

This week has been going so fast that it seems like today should be Friday. At least I'm only one day off.

Forgot to reply... This weekend has gone by so slow! <_<

I have four days of from school this weekend. :happy: I need it...

Militant Jurist
I don't know, around here they all smell like Dolce & Gabana. ;)

:lol:

I've run into a few lawyers who smelled like manure. They represented farmers in rural areas, so I'm guessing they didn't notice.

Forgot to reply... This weekend has gone by so slow! <_<

I have four days of from school this weekend. :happy: I need it...

Nice! I wish I had time off like that. Instead, I get probably a 12+ hour day coming up on Monday. I'll be enjoying the weekend though!

animalmaster6
Nice! I wish I had time off like that. Instead, I get probably a 12+ hour day coming up on Monday. I'll be enjoying the weekend though!

Sorry to hear, <_< You enjoying your job?

Finally the weekend :happydance:

Militant Jurist

I'm usually not one for poems, but I did enjoy this one.

One From One Leaves Two

- Ogden Nash

Higgledy piggledy, my black hen,

She lays eggs for gentlemen.

Gentlemen come every day

To count what my black hen doth lay.

If perchance she lays too many,

They fine my hen a pretty penny;

If perchance she fails to lay,

The gentlemen a bonus pay.

Mumbledy pumbledy, my red cow,

She’s cooperating now.

At first she didn’t understand

That milk production must be planned;

She didn’t understand at first

She either had to plan or burst,

But now the government reports

She’s giving pints instead of quarts.

Fiddle de dee, my next-door neighbors,

They are giggling at their labors.

First they plant the tiny seed,

Then they water, then they weed,

Then they hoe and prune and lop,

They they raise a record crop,

Then they laugh their sides asunder,

And plow the whole caboodle under.

Abracadabra, thus we learn

The more you create, the less you earn.

The less you earn, the more you’re given,

The less you lead, the more you’re driven,

The more destroyed, the more they feed,

The more you pay, the more they need,

The more you earn, the less you keep,

And now I lay me down to sleep.

I pray the Lord my soul to take

If the tax-collector hasn’t got it before I wake.

Militant Jurist
Did you ever have that interview? Intriguing possibility, or a bust?

The interview is scheduled for tomorrow at noon. However, my inside source informed me that he's been getting a lot of interest from all over the place, but is now having some second thoughts about whether he wants to hire a new lawyer/associate right away or bring in someone "of counsel," which means they can use his name/equipment/etc and he gets a cut of the fees, but the only income for the lawyer is the fees. We shall see what he says tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath at this point. -_-

Blech, not sounding as hopeful as it did. :(

Well, good luck tomorrow, regardless--blow 'em away and maybe they'll go back to their original line of thinking. :D

Archived