SaltCritters.com

MJ's 29g Barrel 'O Monkeys

Militant Jurist

hey MJ thought I would ask you about this.

keep in mind I'm that card carrying aclu member that we all love n adore. the gov should not have the right to kill, so on so forth. but I'm also that crazy anarchist. so if your not a contribting member of the society work for its advancement. than well the society should no long interact with you & limit you ability to interact with it. something like a nice little box thats been mortised shut. or push out of a chopper some where north west of alaska. subtle difference I know.

anyway here it is

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...oryId=130587304

oh & good luck with the interview.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so if your not a contribting member of the society work for its advancement. than well the society should no long interact with you & limit you ability to interact with it. something like a nice little box thats been mortised shut. or push out of a chopper some where north west of alaska. subtle difference I know.

anyway here it is

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.p...oryId=130587304

oh & good luck with the interview.

Not a bad idea to me (of course, I live far from Alaska), but then the question is how would "Contributing member of society" be defined, who would define it, and then who would protect that definition?

Not being argumentative, seriously asking. When I think of your idea in the context of the story linked, I can't help but think of the children I see around me getting sucked into gang life. Would this result in shipping off a 13 yo, whose brain still has years before executive function is completely developed? I realize these aren't "innocent" children playing dodgeball in the schoolyard, but I could imagine this being a slippery slope indeed.

oh I don't know if its a slippery slope so much as a vertical wall, made out of glass thats been lubed up like a slip n slide. but thats the inherent nature of an anarchy, it lasts about 15 min before transforming into a totalitarian nightmare. but hey its also realized as the unattainable ideal so you just keep pushing towards it like Sisyphus & his rock. or your well not part of the shiny ideal.

as to the def, who defines it & how you get there. well than that depends on which philosopher you listen to. rand, plato/socrates, kant, nietzsche, kropotkin, wittgenstein... always find rand to be the silliest while plato's may be the scariest. but eeh. personally its educate the bleep out of every single kid out there. like to the point where their logic skills (math/sci classes for like 15-20 years, lib arts, poly sci, art, philosophy) are strong enough to allow them to understand the nuances of things like, the american flag is a symbol which represents the right to destroy it in protest. or that its better to live in a society where you may be the victim of random senseless violence. rather than where the police carry automatic riffles & the the average citizen can disappear at their whim. that though tax is theft the fire trucks need gas. but mostly so that they can resist the dogma they are subjected to on a daily basis & think for them self. then enabling them to become capable of over coming anything that would prevent their economic prosperity. the two greatest dangers too any society are a populous which can not think & concentrated poverty.

Militant Jurist
Blech, not sounding as hopeful as it did. :(

Well, good luck tomorrow, regardless--blow 'em away and maybe they'll go back to their original line of thinking. :D

Thanks! It went very well, and although I have a few details to work out, it looks like I've got a new position! I'll be able to work mostly from home, doing primarily the areas of law I enjoy. He didn't realize I had the experience that I have, and with the recommendation from the one lawyer he currently has, it turned around from blech to great pretty quick! The basics of the arrangement would be that I would start a branch of my own for the firm, and possibly within a year or two, I would be a partner in the firm. Once I have enough work, I can even hire my own associates.

Bitts:

My preferred idea would be forced conscription for those types. If they want to kill so badly, just para-drop them into Afghanistan with photos of bin Laden, et al., a rifle, and an ammo can. Drop them behind enemy lines, so that there is less of a risk of friendly fire. If he gets his target, he has the choice of returning to prison for life (spared the death penalty) or continuing to work. It's sort of like the gladiator model, except that it would serve a useful purpose. ;)

Not a bad idea to me (of course, I live far from Alaska), but then the question is how would "Contributing member of society" be defined, who would define it, and then who would protect that definition?

That's a major problem. I'd limit it to serially convicted felons or those who commit heinous crimes.

the two greatest dangers too any society are a populous which can not think & concentrated poverty.

I'd modify that to a populous which cannot think and a realization by the majority that they can enrich themselves by taking from the minority (ie through taxation). "I get benefits that someone else is going to pay for? Sign me up!"

Militant Jurist
I keep expecting monkeys and water and I only get smart-people stuff. Where are the monkeys and water?

MonkeyWaterAP_468x314.jpg

Right now, my tank is rather embarrassing and needs a lot of work. Once I get it cleaned up, there will be a lot more photos. For now, it's mostly shenanigans! Feel free to jump in. B)

its better to live in a society where you may be the victim of random senseless violence. rather than where the police carry automatic riffles & the the average citizen can disappear at their whim. that though tax is theft the fire trucks need gas. but mostly so that they can resist the dogma they are subjected to on a daily basis & think for them self. then enabling them to become capable of over coming anything that would prevent their economic prosperity. the two greatest dangers too any society are a populous which can not think & concentrated poverty.

:wub:

Thanks! It went very well, and although I have a few details to work out, it looks like I've got a new position! I'll be able to work mostly from home, doing primarily the areas of law I enjoy. He didn't realize I had the experience that I have, and with the recommendation from the one lawyer he currently has, it turned around from blech to great pretty quick! The basics of the arrangement would be that I would start a branch of my own for the firm, and possibly within a year or two, I would be a partner in the firm. Once I have enough work, I can even hire my own associates.

That's a major problem. I'd limit it to serially convicted felons or those who commit heinous crimes.

I'd modify that to a populous which cannot think and a realization by the majority that they can enrich themselves by taking from the minority (ie through taxation). "I get benefits that someone else is going to pay for? Sign me up!"

Fantastic news re the interview, Tyler :D I'm so glad it's turning out to open such a wonderful possibility for you. B)

Can I just add, re the question of education and children learning how to grow up and think for themselves, being responsible and productive; it's the type of math and science being taught now that's a problem. It's all about test prep and filling in bubbles. This means if a question is challenging, the kids are being taught to skip it, so as not to waste time, thereby filling in more bubbles. Our children need school to learn to problem solve, something that is sadly lacking in basic education these days. I'd also like to see ethics added to your philosophy classes, Bitts.

never let it be said that you don't deliver

+1 :D

Militant Jurist
never let it be said that you don't deliver

I aim to please. B)

Fantastic news re the interview, Tyler :D I'm so glad it's turning out to open such a wonderful possibility for you. B)

Thanks! It's a rather exciting opportunity. Plus, how many twenty-something people will be able to lay claim to helping start a law firm branch office? If all goes well, by the time I'm 28, I should be a partner in the law firm, and the head of the criminal and constitutional litigation department, with a few associates working under my supervision. Not too shabby, if I do say so myself ;)

Can I just add, re the question of education and children learning how to grow up and think for themselves, being responsible and productive; it's the type of math and science being taught now that's a problem. It's all about test prep and filling in bubbles. This means if a question is challenging, the kids are being taught to skip it, so as not to waste time, thereby filling in more bubbles. Our children need school to learn to problem solve, something that is sadly lacking in basic education these days. I'd also like to see ethics added to your philosophy classes, Bitts.

That is indeed problematic! Sadly, it's inherent in the "teach for the test" mentality. It really irked me in law school to see that idea continue. Any time a discussion ventured beyond what the class "needed to know for the exam," about 75% of the class either tuned out or got very upset at being "off topic," i.e. not on the test. And this was law school, which claims to teach "how to think like a lawyer." No one is taught to innovate or seek creative solutions to problems. It's become a matter of rote memorization and regurgitation.

well the math class are actually there as prep for the sci & philosophy. the thing about math education is that yes its actually critical thinking skills, which is why you need to do so much before moving into other topics. geometry is just logic, like language/humanity's are linguistics. but this only comes from being thought why & how it will be used. which was never covered as far as I know. some things will always be a question of route memorization, but things like why you need to be able to find x should have a practical explanation. particularly as to what it will enable as the next step. this is paramount in educating a society, that all are given equal access & understanding as to why they learn. that no student be expected to meet a lower expectation just because they will become "____________" instead of the engineer. just because a particular teacher believed them to not be worthy of their effort. or of not possessing the potential required. once the knowledge of math, language, history & so forth is present. enabling the brain to have a great enough ability to perceive the world around it & then being capable of expressing this thought as knowledge. moving into sci & philosophy should have already begun. after all physics is calc. as to philosophy specifically this should cover all four philosophic topics ethics, epistemology, linguistics, logic. but again, a solid foundation in each of these should have already begun to have established itself at this point. eliminating test may not ever be practical but reexamining there purpose is most defiantly necessary. I have actually been given b's & c's for not showing up to a class, come back to take the test if you want the a. because of understanding & wishing to examine a topic to a point that I was detracting from the classes ability to learn, by moving it off topic so much. due to the test mentality. truly if & when this is the case than its not actually education.

MJ that news is epic, cant wait to see the future office complete with monster tank to empress all.

Militant Jurist
MJ that news is epic, cant wait to see the future office complete with monster tank to empress all.

Thanks! Unfortunately, it will be a while before an tank for the ages is installed, since my office for the next year or so will be a spare bedroom in my house. Once I'm a partner and establish a real office, then the monster tank will come. B)

Militant Jurist
Good news MJ! Congrats!

Thanks!

MJ hire me and pay me a lot of money.

Well, once I make partner and establish a commercial office, I'll be in the need for employees! DH, maybe it would work out to have you be my executive assistant / office aquarium assistant. :lol: You'd have to give up your fancy-schmancy NYC though. :P

Militant Jurist
When you're ready to expand into patents I'll be waiting :D

Oh good Lord, patents. :wacko: They are so crazy that they have a separate bar exam to be a patent lawyer. Though, once I grow and expand, maybe I'll try to hire a patent lawyer. I've heard they can bring in great fees. ;)

Oh the establishment of a law firm.... lawyer meets capitalist. B)

Oh good Lord, patents. :wacko: They are so crazy that they have a separate bar exam to be a patent lawyer. Though, once I grow and expand, maybe I'll try to hire a patent lawyer. I've heard they can bring in great fees. ;)

Oh the establishment of a law firm.... lawyer meets capitalist. B)

My sentiments exactly, and I'm not THAT crazy :lol:. I would never make a good trial lawyer because I am not charismatic enough, I suppose that could be learned though. I never thought I would follow in the family business but hey, I guess things work out in strange ways.

Militant Jurist
My sentiments exactly, and I'm not THAT crazy :lol:. I would never make a good trial lawyer because I am not charismatic enough, I suppose that could be learned though. I never thought I would follow in the family business but hey, I guess things work out in strange ways.

It seems like with trials, charisma comes into play only in close calls. The rest of the time, just knowing your stuff (or seeming like you do) does the trick.

I know what you mean about things working out in strange ways. I never thought I'd be working at a law firm, but sometimes, that's how things work out. I've done the civil/constitutional law thing for a while, and on a non-profit salary, it's just not worth the headache. I've always enjoyed criminal/constitutional law, and this will give me a chance to do just that, and basically be my own boss, but with someone else paying my expenses (aka "of counsel"). Seems like a win,win! :P

Militant Jurist
I don't believe it. MJ would never be other than a kind and considerate boss. I hear he pays in aptasia and GHA :P

:lol:

Yup, that's true! The only people I'm mean to are hostile witnesses for the other side. But even that's only while they are on the stand.

Oh, and I give raises in the form of gum.

Militant Jurist
I don't like gum. :( How about Junior Mints?

I think I could swing that! I'm more of an Andes Mints fan, but I'm sure I could make arrangements in Junior Mints.

Archived