SaltCritters.com

Opy's BC29 Upgrade!

opy01

pismo_reefer

Yep...

you got the big-ole, OG, Teardrop Maxima....

Put 'er on the sandbed under a halide and she'll be fine.

The foot on the thing attaches in a matter of hours,

so decide where you want it fer sure, cuz it'll stay there.

Oh yeah...

After everything opens/ looks decent, you should post pics.

That way, I can Identify it all if need be....

*the clam also "sneezes" when its settling.

nothing to be alarmed about.

just watch for excessive gaping.

hollerbackson!

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Pis, these things are awesome!

I gotta do a water change tonight. This stupid mini cycle from the new sand screwed everything up <_< . Going to get water tonight and hopefully this weekend it will all look good.

I was thinking put the clam under my LEDs. He'd like it under there :happy: .

Oh and my shrek frogspawn at work split again omgomgomg !

It's doing just fine. It's in my BC14 and will probably stay there. Once I get the tanks sorted and organised then I will have all updated pics of all 5 tanks... er 3 tanks.

lol I didnt notice the chipped edge on the bottom one till I posted it. Looks like I'll have to get another mithrax crab to take care of that bubble algae. I need to see if John has anymore red ones.

lol no biggie, maybe spike (the urchin) will like them. So far everything but the clam seems happy. The clam started to show some blue out of the slit but I havent seen it open up yet. Of course I just did a 5G water change to get rid of some diatoms from adding the extra sand. Maybe he didnt like that much. I wonder if dry sand would have caused a mini cycle like the live sand I put in :huh: . I'll have to remember that next time I upgrade a tank lol.

I am taking pics of stuff now and will upload tomorrow.

pismo_reefer
I wonder if dry sand would have caused a mini cycle like the live sand I put in :huh: .

Yeah, it would.

only, painfully slower...

Ok then I'm glad I used the stuff I did. It only took a week to get the diatoms and they will be gone by the weekend... hopefully lol. Also the lights went out when i decided to take pics but I get home early today so I will play with my camera then :happy: .

And only 2 more pieces to glue on my new sump omgomgomg . I cant wait to start testing it tomorrow. If it goes till Sunday with no leaks then by Sunday night I will have a sump on my tank :happy: .

pismo_reefer

Very good news!

Glad to hear that you're gettin' somewhere.

I always get cyano right after the diatoms die off.

I dont know if you do, or will, but I always get it.

It stays for about a week, then starts to die off as well.

The remainder can then be siphoned out.

fingerscrossed <<for the sump.

I always get cyano right after the diatoms die off.

I dont know if you do, or will, but I always get it.

It stays for about a week, then starts to die off as well.

The remainder can then be siphoned out.

Yea I siphoned alot out last night. Now I have to clean that sand out and out it back in lol.

fingerscrossed <<for the sump.

Thanks, after the last sump I'll need all the fingerscrossed I can get :happy: .

The sump is together! In 24 hours I fillt it to the top with water and let it sit till Sunday. If there are no leaks then Sunday night I will have the sump in place :happy: .

On a side not, How long should it take this clam to open up? He is right in the center at the bottom of the tank directly under the LEDs. I see him sticking out a flat piece a little but nothing more.

Sump 2.0 for the BC29 is done! I think I finally have it tuned perfect too. This thing was leak free from the moment I got done. It sat with water in it for almost 24 hours with no leaks at all. I learned the first time to go over every seam 2-3 times on both sides lol. Now to figure out if the ATO goes in the sump or in chamber 3 of the BC or in both lol. I'm tired and need a nap. More pics to come as the water clears and the diatoms go away.

IMG_0341.jpg

Thanks guys. Its clearing up nicely so hopefully pics coming tomorrow. I am just having problems getting it tuned perfect since it drilled below the water line and the other chambers are screwing it up kinda. I'll have to do it all over again when my new power head gets here lol.

If it were me I would try the ATO floats in the return pump section of the sump. I would think that the most evaporation would come from the sump and you want to keep the return pump section filled to the point that it is working. It looks really nice Opy. Well done!

JMO

Wow. Looks freakin' amazing! Has the clam opened up yet (or did I miss it...)?

Thanks. The clam didnt make it :( . I dont know why but today it was opened up and not attached at all. A private funeral was held and he had a porcelain casket. I was sad.

If it were me I would try the ATO floats in the return pump section of the sump. I would think that the most evaporation would come from the sump and you want to keep the return pump section filled to the point that it is working. It looks really nice Opy. Well done!

JMO

The odd thing is, while observing it, chamber 3 of the biocube is the one going low. I put the float up there first and made one final adjustment. It was staying about the same SG but then dropped a little this evening. If it changes after that I will move the float. Thats the crazy thing, basically this tank now has two sumps lol.

I ordered my RKE yesterday along with about $200 worth of other parts for this and other tanks. I got Koralia Nanos for $15 each too!

Pics for those of you who demand the (*cough* Pismo). :P

_MG_5760.jpg

_MG_5762.jpg

_MG_5763.jpg

_MG_5770.jpg

_MG_5772.jpg

_MG_5773.jpg

_MG_5774.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg

and this one after Spike (the urchin) cleaned the bubble algae off :happy:

IMG_0347.jpg