inTank Media Baskets

Opy's BC29 Upgrade!

opy01

yes but as little as I adjust them I think it will be fine. The PVC one in my front yard has been working perfect for 3+ years. Besides if it does fail it is easy to replace. Its just for my drain to keep the water from gushing down to the sump creating millions of microbubble and splattering SW everywhere.

I use a loc line ball valve on the return side to stop flow temporarily. During water changes I just put my RKL on hold.

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:o

well at least Slammie went to a good cause :lol:

Ok the stupid tank pissed me off tonight. I got a hole bit to drill the back for the sump and the stupid thing does not feel like acrylic when drilling into it. I stopped when I realised that this thing may be glass back there. Now I have to buy a glass bit that big and I already started putting water in it :rant: .

I'm going to bed! :angry:

Grrr. Just buy the Roto Zip tile cutting bit and use a dremel tool. Dont worry about the water. The dust wont hurt a thing. Its just really small sand now.

You wont have to empty it. Just use a spray bottle and mist the bit. Works like a charm. I've done it a hundred times.

Yea I drilled another one of my tanks and that was a PITA. I would have to have it empty to keep the bit wet. I didnt want to do it that way and now I have to find a bit local to get it done tonight so I can move everything over this weekend. I also think my skimmer, overflow and sump is sold so I need to get everything moved over ASAP <_< . It will work out, it's just been a frustrating week. And to top it all off I accidentally bought spiced tea instead of plain black tea. Now my tea tasts like fake Christmas decorations :( .

Ok now that that's out of my system, I'm tired. I spent most of yesterday evening scrubbing that thing down so its nice and clean. I also found out why the pump wasnt as powerful as the other BC29. It was nasty and has 1/3 of the intake blocked by something the last guy let get in there.

Edit: I will try it the way tck says first and if I get scared then I'll just empty it. I dont have that much water in it yet and no sand so that a good thing.

So all that make a weir with plumbers putty, pour water in make sure the bit is in water stuff is not necessarily um.......necessary?

Well I would think plumbers putty would be easier on a square tank because you just keep water in it. I would rather do that then have to spray all the time. But in this case I will spray and have a towel bellow it. Not to mention the bow front on this tank makes it hard to keep it face down.

Ok my day just brightened some. I think I just witnessed the coolest thing ever! I was watching my urchin in my office tank and some of the seaweed sheet was on my power head so I brushed it off and a ton of stuff went swishing around the tank. Then I saw something get squirted into the water colum from a rock. When i looked at where it came from I saw one of the stomatellas squirt a white cloud up every 2-3 seconds or so. Then I saw all these little eggs in groups floating. When I looked over the other stoma was at the top of another rock about 4-5 inches away. I may have baby stomas in my office tank soon! omgomgomg

I found a place to drill my tank today. I'm taking a half day to get that done and pick up the rest of the water and my acrylic for the sump. Wish my luck lol.

26559b3f-2af9-11dc-8fce-2b0f389565bf.jpg

Tank is drilled and acrylic is here. Thanks tck for the heads up on checking the sizes before I leave. They cut the bottom 3/16" too narrow so I had them take 3/16" off the front, back and devider so the ends will fit perfect. Took them 2 minutes to do that. I start building tomorrow.

The hole is a little bigger than I needed and I tried to center the bulkhead as good as possible but I still get about 1 small drip every 5-10 minutes or so leaking out the back. I will drain it down enough to pull the bulkhead and silicone it. Once it sets up for a while I'll leak test it again. I feel confident that it wont be a problem once done. I put sand in it and I am moving the rocks from the other BC29 in there to help it stabalize and then this Saturday I am making the move... hopefully lol.

I have someone local interested in the old skimmer so once I start theres no going back. Wish me luck!

Tank is drilled and acrylic is here. Thanks tck for the heads up on checking the sizes before I leave.

Anytime! That woulda put a damper on your evening for sure. silly question. is the rubber washer on the inside of the tank? If not that will cause the leak your experiencing. Try this b4 silicone. Take a bit of olive oil and lube both sides of that washer. Then try your best to center it in the hole. Then tighten down on it. The oil will allow the nut to get a bit tighter and also alow the washer to swell into the hole a little more. Should do it. I have yet to have this not fix the prob unless the hole is crazy wobbled or huge. But 1/2 bulk will easily work in a hole thats 1/4" to big.

Anytime! That woulda put a damper on your evening for sure. silly question. is the rubber washer on the inside of the tank? If not that will cause the leak your experiencing. Try this b4 silicone. Take a bit of olive oil and lube both sides of that washer. Then try your best to center it in the hole. Then tighten down on it. The oil will allow the nut to get a bit tighter and also alow the washer to swell into the hole a little more. Should do it. I have yet to have this not fix the prob unless the hole is crazy wobbled or huge. But 1/2 bulk will easily work in a hole thats 1/4" to big.

Cool thanks... again lol. :happy: The washer is on the inside so I will try the olive oil thing before anything else. I think the leak is stopped now since I havent seen a drip in a while but I will still do it to prevent future leaks. This is a 3/4" bulk and the hole was supposed to be 1 1/2" but all they had was about a 1 3/4 or so. I can center it pretty good but when I got to thread the stupid thing it moves. I was mainly going to silicone the washer in the center so when I put the bulkhead through it wouldnt move.

U KAN DO ITTTT!

That washer you have. It should have centering ribs on it. They are to help you center it into a larger hole. Good luck.

I agree! In fact I would have agreed even more last night lol. But I only have 3 days to go till the switch.

Then a couple of more days till LEDs are in... hopefully lol.

Archived