Innovative Marine Aquariums

d'Espresso's Solana, Baby S'mores pics p.29

d'Espresso

d'espresso, you have some nice zoas! are you planning on leaving them on the disks? I detached mine with razor blades and glued them directly to the rocks for aesthetic reasons. Do you prefer to attach the whole disk?

I think i am going to leave them on the disk for now.. it look like a whole colonies to me when i get them to grow out the frag disk. i need more and more of colorful stuff. i will post some up but i have know clue what's the name of the zoas. i just know it's colorful and nice. help me name them if you all can please. thanks!

How do you detached and glue it in the tank? What kind of glue do you use and will it hurt the corals? i have never done this before that is why i just leave them on the frag disk. :)

i apologize for the bad picture that is taken please excuse my photo noobness! enjoy..

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was recommended to me by two very experienced hobbyist. Both have very nice tanks.

This is the question i asked

I have a question about zoas... everyone seems to want to grow the polyps from those discs and glue those in place. Is there a substantial reason why one wouldn't want to glue the polyps directly to the rock you want to grow them on?

I'm planning a zoa rock... and I think it would look nice and "natural" if I applied the polyps directly do it. If I have to do huge discs all over it, it's not going to happen.

This was the first response:

As far as gluing them directly to the rock-Yes..you can, but a few things. First, gloves, and eye protection as a precaution. Sometimes not an easy task to get up under them. A razor blade is good. They need a low flow place to heal, or they will bolt off the rock and disappear. Use super glue gel. I like Loctite. Or as long as the active ingredient is cyanoacrylate.

and the second response:

And yea, never leave them on frag plugs long term, glue directly to rocks. I started with a 10 polyp frag of radioactive greens. I cut it off the plug and into several sections and put them on a single rock. It looked like crap for several months, but now the rock is completely filled in with 100+ polyps...

So that's what I did. A razor blade, and some locktite super glue gel, and I glued my zoas straight to the rocks. I think it looks way better... but everyone has their preferences.

Here is a decent shot of the Zoa garden i have. It's been a great journey and everything is starting to show some growth. I do not know some of these zoa names i have but please help me with the names. thanks enjoy!

Whole View of the Garden:

IMG_0029-1.jpg

closer picture of the zoas:

IMG_0028-1.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0027-1.jpg

Blue Tubbs: start out with 2 polyps from (amnestia) he's a great seller and have nice selections of zoas

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

Rics and Yuma Garden:

IMG_0032.jpg

Unknown Monti:

IMG_0038.jpg

Green Monti:

IMG_0043-1.jpg

Orange Monti:

IMG_0049.jpg

Nice Tank.On post 81 what is the last picture?It is awsome.

Brad

I have no clue on what that last one is? i got it for free from my lfs but i asked someone on here and they say looks like some kind of Doughnut or disk coral. i dunno. :)

VERY NICE ZOAS! Looking good!

thanks medred for the nice comments. Still on the search for some rare zoas also. Let me know if anyone got some frags

When is the other new clownie coming in?

Next monday but arrival on tuesday of next week! hopefully they will make it here. The little guy is doing really good and starting to develop darker orange and the white spot is starting to connect to the other part of the stripe white body. i can't wait for Clyde to have Bonnie soon in his new home.

Hello all! New updates coming soon:

added a few more new corals and wonder should I frag some of my zoas and share them with nano reef community? Would anyone be interest in them? I don't have names yet but will do some homework or if anyone knows the names please let me know thanks!

Pictures will update soon!

looking good cong! when are you giving me a piece of that tank? -hoa

Thanks Hoa! Hey when ever you wanna trade something I can frag some stuff if you like! Let me know and we can work something out! -David Cong

Dude!

Next time I'm in MS, I am sneaking into your house and swiping some zoas! Geesh! Seriously though, I just got done reading through your thread and I'm very impressed by your innovation. Great work on the SunPod. I'm too chicken for all that noise. Lookin' good and keep up the good work!

--Matt

Dude!

Next time I'm in MS, I am sneaking into your house and swiping some zoas! Geesh! Seriously though, I just got done reading through your thread and I'm very impressed by your innovation. Great work on the SunPod. I'm too chicken for all that noise. Lookin' good and keep up the good work!

--Matt

Thanks for the nice comments :) Sure come by anytime if you wanna trade frags or hangout. But knock first before you knock down my door. haha The Sunpod modded was not very simple task to do. took me along time to complete it done and did a test run also was *PITA.. lol

A closer shot at my Orange Yuma and my Red feather dust!

IMG_0004-1.jpg

Awesome job "d"...

Just got a chance to go through your thread...You appear skilled in the DIY cat.

Keep up the awesome job!!!

Izzue

Thanks everyone on the comments. Today is the day I need to plan on how to move this tank to the new apartment? I have never but need sugestion on how to do it without killing my corals. The move is closer to college about 15 min from where I am staying now. Do you all think it will be safe and not have to do a restart cycle?

Thanks everyone on the comments. Today is the day I need to plan on how to move this tank to the new apartment? I have never but need sugestion on how to do it without killing my corals. The move is closer to college about 15 min from where I am staying now. Do you all think it will be safe and not have to do a restart cycle?

I think everything will be fine. If you haven't already moved yet just remeber to take your time and do it right bag everything and go slow. I recently moved into a house and was worried about moving the solana.All the coral turned out fine but I cracked the tank just didn't realize how delicate that small tank was compared to the 90G.Good luck I'll be looking for updated on this thread for some ideas from you she's a beauty.

I think everything will be fine. If you haven't already moved yet just remeber to take your time and do it right bag everything and go slow. I recently moved into a house and was worried about moving the solana.All the coral turned out fine but I cracked the tank just didn't realize how delicate that small tank was compared to the 90G.Good luck I'll be looking for updated on this thread for some ideas from you she's a beauty.

thanks Katy for the advice I definitely will bag or put all the corals n everything in the empty 12 gallon aquapod and move my rocks in a tub. The move is getting closer to the date. I think the tank and corals will be the last to move so I can have an good idea where to put the tank at our new place.

Sorry to hear about your solana, did u get a replacement for it yet?

thanks Katy for the advice I definitely will bag or put all the corals n everything in the empty 12 gallon aquapod and move my rocks in a tub. The move is getting closer to the date. I think the tank and corals will be the last to move so I can have an good idea where to put the tank at our new place.

Sorry to hear about your solana, did u get a replacement for it yet?

Not yet, I looks like the back bottom seems and splintered away a little so I cleaned the seems and silicone it over the crack.It was not horrible but it was a horrible feeling. It held fine I also ran a small bead of silicone all the way around the tank after it was put in place and painted it black you cant even see it. The tank is now back up and running I'm now just trying to get everything in order and set up to have a ultimate reef experience in the little nano.Also when I moved it 2 weeks ago I saved about 10-15 gallons of the established tank water and topped it off the rest of the way with new I watched the parameters for a few days to make sure everything would be ok and added some of the coral back to it in about 4 days doing fine.This may be a little easier then trying to save all 25 gallons. Just enough established water so there is no need for a cycle. Good luck again. Frank~~

Archived