ReefCleaners.org

Monosyth's Ocean2point0 - Starting over!

monosyth

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I still like them. When I turn them off to see the difference I'm always like, oh yah, that's why I got those. :)

lhernandez86

Agreed on the Stunner Leds....I have some installed on my RSM as well and its WELL WORTH THE MONEY! Anything that is a bright color glows INSANLEY! Love the strips I have the same 402's that you have....kinda pricey but well worth the money, since it makes EVERYTHING GLOW....even the white stripes on the Black and White CLown I had Poped out lol

BUY THEM!

Yup it's true. My clowns white lines pop more! Lol. And the sixlines blue fins too. I do have the 453 blue ones. Are the 402's the ultraviolet ones? I wonder what the difference would be. The ecoxotic website does have pix of differences but still hard to see.

lhernandez86

They pop out even more with the ultras...I have one Ultra and one Blue....when just the Ultra is on the tank looks insane!

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure what's going on with my tank anymore... Ricordeas are fading.. Acans fading. The wellso is not as colorful as when I bought it. Same with my plate coral. I thought my lighting wasn't bright enough? My neon green leather coral didn't open up anymore and started to fall apart a bit. I threw it out. There is a bit of brown sludge algae in the corner. I have not been overfeeding. I changed the lights out recently and added those blue stunner lights.. I dunno. I feel like the new lights aren't as bright. Not happy with it. Thought about upgrading lights, but not sure thats it? What do you think?

Should I turn off the stunners for a week and see what happens? And when I do turn them off, the lighting looks really yellow. Blech. I saved my old bulbs.. thinking about putting them back in, and reordering more. But then what if I want to upgrade lighting - should I just put money toward that? I really can't afford anything crazy for lighting. How do people feel about the T5 108w lighting: AquaticLife T5 HO and Lunar Light Fixture OR Current Nova Extreme Pro Saltwater T-5 Fixture?? Both are around $230

lhernandez86

Sorry to hear that man....you may have just got a bad pair of replacements....I would get another pair before spending on a new fixture.

Stunners shouldnt effect an corals....if anything if they are left on too long they may enduce alge growth...do you have an alge problem?

My neon green leather coral didn't open up anymore and started to fall apart a bit. I threw it out.

Was this the first event to happen? Followed by a decline in other coral?

These leather corals will bleed out toxins when they die.

Regarding the T5's,

I went with the TEK light for my RSM and love it, great color and growth with all my SPS. They sell for 225 now. worth the money.

Thanks for the input. I may just order new bulbs? Anyway... I took down my picotope. And put everything in my RSM.. need to rearrange it now. New aquascape coming soon... (not really excited to do that. but oh well.) I may sell jbj pico if anyone local was interested - the whole kit and kaboodle including light and AC70 mod.

OMG. i just tested my calcium and it was 16 drops... about 300-320! yikes! What do I do?

Are you doing any dosing to the tank?

No, I've never dosed. I'm going to pick up some C-Balance or B-ionic today.. and also a magnesium test kit.

So I was able to test:

Calcium: 320ish

dKH: 8

pH: 7.8 !!!

thadscottmoore
OMG. i just tested my calcium and it was 16 drops... about 300-320! yikes! What do I do?

How often do you do water changes? Dosing looks to be a need too. I have the ESV biotic 2 part dose and the ESV Magnesium dose, however, with my setup- I have yet to do a dose. my Ca is staying at about 540 and dKh is 10 and the Magnesium at 1220. I do 4 gallon a week water changes using Kent Salt.

I was doing water changes once every week. (4.5 gals) I use Red Sea Coral Pro Salt.. I've slacked here and there, but generally get a water change done every 2 weeks. I have a lot of coral, and they are sucking it up, I think.

thadscottmoore
I was doing water changes once every week. (4.5 gals) I use Red Sea Coral Pro Salt.. I've slacked here and there, but generally get a water change done every 2 weeks. I have a lot of coral, and they are sucking it up, I think.

yeah, I would agree with the coral sucking it up! maybe you need a ca reactor or a kalk reactor in your system. or do the dosing regime. I just bought a kalk reactor for my tank- dont need it, but- its there when I do need it! :) I just got a good deal on it. its compact and small for the most part. and the previous owner used it and had fantastic results- he just sold his complete setup- and I scavenged all the extras-

http://www.nicksacrylicreef.com/images/items/Kalk%20View.JPG

http://www.nicksacrylicreef.com/images/items/Kalk%20Top.JPG

hmm, something to think about - this tank is becoming an investment for sure. I'll probably start manually dosing. Hoping my tank will look a little more healthier soon!

I got b-ionic calcium and alkaline and started dosing today. OK, I did test my magnesium, its around 990. blah. I suppose I should add that too? Meanwhile, here's my updated FTS for April. I have put my pico stuff in here.

IMG_4427.JPG

Tested my SG in tank. 1.022... ?? low! so I'm mixing up water change to help with that. Perhaps that could have some effect on these details... Meanwhile, dosing with B-ionic kind of heavy at first 20ml a day each - when it gets into levels I like, I'll figure out the dosing to probably 10mg every other day, I'm hoping.

Today:

SG 1.022 (low!)

Calcium 360 today

dKH 9

pH 7.8 (maybe getting salinity up will help?)

Archived