Pod Your Reef

Monosyth's Ocean2point0 - Starting over!

monosyth

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Set up my ATO today. I got some tube connectors from lowes to make a U shape to hook up my hose so it stays attached to the tank. Almost overflowed when I was playing with that surface skimmer. But I think I got it! I will be sleeping with one ear open tonight.

IMG_2929.JPG

IMG_2933.JPG

IMG_2934.JPG

Also, that worm thing died in the rock and is half sticking out.. maybe it will start some ammonia? However, I am seeing a lot more pods. Which is a nice sight!

Finally, yesterday, I'm seeing some diatoms on the sand and on some rocks. Not enough to feed any CUC yet, but hopefully soon. Seeing as my rock was fully cured when I got it and with minimal die off, I probably will get something in there soon to get some bioload going. I also think I am seeing some Green Hair Algae. Just a few hairs... Tested Calcium today for first time to see how that works.. 400-420. Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate between 0-5. Hard to tell.

When do I put chemipure and purigen in StevieT's rack? When I get my CUC? Do I start my skimmer then too? or should I wait for a while after getting the CUC?

And speaking of the CUC... what do i get?

I'm thinking 6 snails and 6 hermits to start? I would like to get a cleaner shrimp too. Do I get that at the same time? Do I feed the cleaner shrimp or is there food in the tank on the rock for it?

photo.jpg

tank looks great dont let the alage freak you out like it did me. But it is gratafing the first time you get something in there to look at besides water and rock :) i can spent like an hour a night just watching everything and i dont have to much in there yet.

Because I just realized I hadn't said it, Thanks all for your comments!!

Today the diatoms are getting thicker. And nitrates are really close to 0.

When do I add my CUC? (getting impatient) Should I grow it out a little more?

And there is definitely green hair algae all over the place.. specks here there and on the glass.

IMG_2944.JPG

You watch mine and I watch yours.... B)

Great to see another new RSM to compare to my own. You're a bit ahead of me so I hope you keep on top of this topic so I can learn and anticipate on things to come.

I've decided that I'll probably go for a bit of a clean up crew tomorrow, seeing as nitrates are basically 0. There is algae for them to eat, and it will continue to grow for them. A few snails, a few hermits.

Needreefunds
I've decided that I'll probably go for a bit of a clean up crew tomorrow, seeing as nitrates are basically 0. There is algae for them to eat, and it will continue to grow for them. A few snails, a few hermits.

I usually add some CUC once diatoms and such start to appear. Plus if that is GHA you are seeing it usually does not take long to really get going IME. As for hermits, I have become fond of scarlet hermits as they seem to be less aggressive towards other tank mates ( snails in particular ). They will still attack them for their shells if needed so try to pick up a few extra empty shells while you are at it. I still have a variety of hermits tho as I have had them from the beginning. Happy reefing.

HTH some. :)

Awesome, thanks for the advice! My tank is definitely looking like it needs a crew this morning. I will be off today to get at least a half a crew.

Should I get a Shrimp now?

I know I want a cleaner shrimp for future. But I do have one tiny aiptasia, (i'm sure there are more) and have been thinking about a peppermint. Of course, I would love to get a pistol/goby mix for the far future. I have no idea what to do! I love shrimp.

coachfraley

Great looking setup!

Regarding the shrimp, I would wait a while. IME, shrimp have a hard time in new tanks. I would add the shrimp after you add fish. Just my $.02.

Good luck with your system, you are off to a good start!

Awesome. Ok, no shrimp today. Ok, brittle star? They creep me out, but are they *that* beneficial? I would like to have a very diverse tank. Should I get today as well?

nano4funreef

When do I put chemipure and purigen in StevieT's rack? Once cycle completes... and you start water changes...

When I get my CUC? Once cycle completes

Do I start my skimmer then too? Yes - once cycle completes

Yes.. or should I wait for a while after getting the CUC? no... even if it just breaking in with little to extract...

And speaking of the CUC... what do i get? snails for sure...

I'm thinking 6 snails and 6 hermits to start? I would like to get a cleaner shrimp too. Do I get that at the same time? you can... skunk cleaner are my favorites one too ...

Do I feed the cleaner shrimp or is there food in the tank on the rock for it? the cuc should be able to do it's think no need to be fed

I would wait on a brittle star... not a bad idea to wait on the shrimp too... a month or so, or until you add your 1st fish...

Needreefunds
Awesome, thanks for the advice! My tank is definitely looking like it needs a crew this morning. I will be off today to get at least a half a crew.

Should I get a Shrimp now?

I know I want a cleaner shrimp for future. But I do have one tiny aiptasia, (i'm sure there are more) and have been thinking about a peppermint. Of course, I would love to get a pistol/goby mix for the far future. I have no idea what to do! I love shrimp.

I agree with coach and Glenn on this one. I too would also wait for the tank to mature before adding the cleaner.

As for peppermints....While I had success for a few years with them keeping Aiptasia at bay, I have since lost any love for them as the last one gobbled a beautiful Blue Cespitularia Xenia on me :angry:

edit- sorry I missed Glenn's reply there

Well, I got my Hermit Crabs and Snails today.

8 "Basic" Brown Hermits

2 Scarlet Hermits

4 Ceriths

3 Margaritas

3 Astreas

One has a Barnacle on it! so cool.

IMG_2945.JPG

Clean up crew have been.. well, cleaning up! Everyone seems to be doing their thing. The Astrea Snails seem to go to the top of the tank and just stick their noses out of the water. Two were in side my surface skimmer, and I'm sure there is some algae in there, but I moved them out. Probably should've left them.

Anyway, what have I learned about hermits this week? They poop. They poop a lot. What goes in must come out! They are finally getting around to all the corners on day 3 of their new home.

Today I am doing my first water change. ATO is off already. Don't want to make that mistake. I am following StevieT's water change to a .... "T", since I have the same system. Still worried about just dumping in 4 gals of water from the top.. I may use my quart buckets to put water back in. Filter floss was much browner today, thanks to the hermits no doubt. Rinsed under tap (hope that's ok) and swapped with new floss.

inTank's Skimmer cup and Tunze 9002 has filled up twice, very watery however, browner than regular tank water, so it's sorta working. I keep reducing the air/bubbles hoping that will help. I have no idea how to work that. I guess it takes tweaking.

All to report today. Do you think I can add something new next week? Please? Someone validate me!!! :) :) :)

OK, so I mixed the recipe for Coral Pro Salt 2.5 cups for 4 gals water... and my SG turned out 1.035... I find that very odd, since it's exactly what others use on here. I will add some fresh to get it to 1.025 I guess. Next time I'll just try 2 1/4 cups.

Needreefunds
OK, so I mixed the recipe for Coral Pro Salt 2.5 cups for 4 gals water... and my SG turned out 1.035... I find that very odd, since it's exactly what others use on here. I will add some fresh to get it to 1.025 I guess. Next time I'll just try 2 1/4 cups.

I also have it closer to 4.5-5 gals for 2.5 cups. Thought it was me :P

I found on another thread here that most people use half cup for each gallon which sounds right to me.

First water change went well. Still a lot of air bubbles coming from diatom algae and in the sand. The CUC are doing a great job though. They are stirring up a lot of sand particles. Filter floss will need to be changed later again and often.

nano4funreef

I would suggest starting with a piece or two of coral & wait a bit on the 1st fish, maybe 3 more weeks - fish = bio-load, let the tank mature a bit more... you can have tons of coral, but you have to pick the fish carefully. Remember the coral are living animals & fun to watch, as well as being beautiful! :flower:

the cuc are bio-neutral

Parameters are spot on. Things are going well. Thinking of getting a clown today maybe a cleaner shrimp? Oh and some Nassarius snails - to clean up after my CUC!

I've been reading on whether to get a shrimp right off or not.

So I think I may want to get either a Pair of Clowns (False) or a Clown and a Cleaner Shrimp.

I read a little on both sides of Single Clown vs Pair of Clowns. Can anyone advise?

I picked up a True Percula Clown - so beautiful. I also got a Pink Feather Duster and 2 Nassarius snails. They are funny snails! Dove straight down once they arrived.

I'll be watching my Ammonia for the clown, but should be fine.

I did order some corals from LiveAquaria. I had a gift cert for buying the RSM from them. I got a Blastomussa and Trumpet Coral from the Divers Den.

Things will need some time after this week. I'm always watching levels and every little detail...

photo.jpg

This clown is so pretty. I can't wait to get a better photo of her with my "real" camera instead of my iphone. She's pretty crazy right now. Maybe in a few days. I had no idea I was going to get a True Percula. But as soon as I saw it, I was in love! :wub: I love the pattern! Do you think it will change? She is a medium sized clown.

Archived