Cultivated Reef

Monosyth's Ocean2point0 - Starting over!

monosyth

She seems to be doing very well this morning. Still nosing up the glass, but I'm hoping that she'll calm down after a few days. Not spending entire time in one place so that is good. I've been reading about clown behavior on here, and I never knew how weird they can be.

I tried feeding a few pellets this morning, but just to excited to notice I guess. Hope the hermits get them later. I put like 6-7 small sized pellets in. Probably should turn off the pumps when I feed?

I also got frozen Mysis. I have fresh water bumblebee gobys and amano Shrimp that like those as well. That way I can split a cube. I may try later feeding some.

Feather duster is a little jumpy this morning. I think that is to be expected - I'm waiting to see if it loses it's casing.

After some searching I found the Nass Snails trunks sticking out of the sand. One way in back, one right up front.

I have ordered 2 corals from LiveAquaria, hope they'll work out.

Trumpet Coral:

trumpet.jpg

Blastomussa Red:

p-47701-blasto.jpg

Where should I place them? I've heard low to the bottom with less intense light.

My FTS for reference. (feather duster is hiding)

photo.jpg

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe your clown is looking for a mate true the glass. would you consider buying another clown to keep them in a pair? I heard that can calm them down. other then that I'll think it will eventually calm down anyway.

If you feed you should turn of the streamers and pumps for a few minutes. it's easier for the fish to eat and after a while they will associate the lack of current with food and they will come to the front for a headcount and food.

I used to defrost my foodcubes and freeze them again in smaller portions, this is a lot easier then breaking the cubes and a lot less messy.

(the 2 top pictures you linked aren't working for me..)

Hmm, I know when I first posted them, they screwed up. Maybe refresh the page?

I just fed my clown mysis, and she gobbled it right up. I turned the pumps off and she gobbled it right up. I turned them on just to stir it up and she continued to eat. I am so happy she's eating! So cute!

There is a lot of flow in my tank, but I guess that's ok for the clown. She makes me tired just watching her. It will be interesting to see if there is any interaction between her and the corals I add tomorrow. Can someone else let me know if the 2 pix of corals are showing? They are for me..

And yes, I would consider another clown for a pair. They had a smaller one there that would probably work out. It would be great to see the interaction.

I'm in love with her! :wub:

Feather Duster is losing it's casing as expected. I really enjoy it. I think it's so cool. I'll want to get a larger one probably. Maybe even a Coco - even if they are pricey - i think my LFS has them for $29 which is a good deal compared to everywhere else.

Very excited about corals coming tomorrow. I have no idea how to place them in the tank! Do I set them somewhere for now? or glue them down? I know about the super glue gel and the (RIP billy mays) mighty putty. I think they may need to sit for a bit before gluing down.

Turkey basted off the rock tonight, very messy CUC! I change the filter floss daily. The skimmer is actually skimming stuff, but I tried adjusting it, and now the foamy bubbles aren't reaching the top... but I'll check it later.

Needreefunds

I have some candy canes about mid level and a blasto frag on the sand bed and both are doing great for me.

HTH. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like a lot has gotten erased from last week... :( So much for my journal. So to all you that are reading from here on... there were many more pages...

I finally tried feeding my trumpet coral, which has made a full recovery... Very cool to watch eat. Fed it mysis. open again after 10 minutes. Could've feed more but thats all for tonight. This should get it back to the color I saw from the pic online. Hope so.

Got my TDS meter today from air water ice. $25. Also got my sink faucet adapter replaced after busting the other one... Making water and tested: 000ppm... then I thought what if that's not working? Testing tap, 429ppm... wow! So that's pretty good. Glad I got a meter. Also tested the waste water... 649ppm - so the filter doesn't absorb all the crap which is good, cause I was thinking that the filter would fill up, but how does it last so long? I love my Mighty Mite!!!

Got two peppermint shrimp yesterday for the intention of getting rid of that one aiptasia I can see and the others I can't. Went out for dinner, came back and the lights were already off, and the aiptasia was gone!!! So awesome!

Later I checked out what else was going on and discovered 2 stomatella snails, I guess these are good guys but apparently reproduce a lot?

Also the best part, I found my Six Line Wrasse's sleeping quarters. He was under a rock in his mucus sack.. mmmm yummy. Could barely see it thought, sounds worse than it is. Could just see his tail though.

Lots of great stuff going on, on the reef... want more colorful things!

nkUnleashed
Got two peppermint shrimp yesterday for the intention of getting rid of that one aiptasia I can see and the others I can't. Went out for dinner, came back and the lights were already off, and the aiptasia was gone!!! So awesome!

Later I checked out what else was going on and discovered 2 stomatella snails, I guess these are good guys but apparently reproduce a lot?

Also the best part, I found my Six Line Wrasse's sleeping quarters. He was under a rock in his mucus sack.. mmmm yummy. Could barely see it thought, sounds worse than it is. Could just see his tail though.

Lots of great stuff going on, on the reef... want more colorful things!

I need to get a peppermint too! One of my Nass snails has an ap gowing on his shell. I wonder, will the shrimp get to the ap on a slow moving target?

the tank is looking outstanding man. I really like those zoos.

Thanks! I'm on the lookout for some great color in my tank. My pep cornered a margarita snail the other day, I'm sure it will get the aiptasia! They have great personality. But my skunk cleaner is not happy and has moved up next to the koralia... comes down at night though at least.

Well, a few things.. peppermint shrimps are wacko. they've done their job and ate the aiptasia. however, last night it started going after my feather duster. So I was able to catch one... taking him back to a LFS near here. Also, I think it might've attacked my Fungia... it's not looking good. However, clown has been digging a hole near it in the night and I think hurt it. I'm thinking about getting another clown to keep her occupied. I think she's lonely. Keeps trying to pair up with the wrasse.

Detention Center:

IMG_3199.JPG

Also, ordered a few things from Fraggle Reef. Awesome customer service, (thanks Brian). Frags came early today. He threw in a freebie and it's thinking about opening up, but it looks very cool. got 5 zoas (including freebie) and a Bloody Valentine Acan. - However, I think I would consider it a Frosted Bloody Valentine (even before ordering it), but no matter, call it what you want, I call it beautiful. Can't wait for zoas to open.

IMG_3198.JPG

IMG_3200.JPG

and two others I took during water change:

IMG_3193.JPG

IMG_3194.JPG

Fraggle Reef

Your Welcome Scott. Awesome job on that tank! Beautiful!

Next time you are up this way, swing on by.

Brian

BTW Scott. I did not realize you were part of Nano-Reef.

Next time use coupon code NR10 for an additional 10% off!

That goes for all of you!! :happydance:

Thanks Brian, I will, for sure!

So some updates... and I'm not sure if they are good ones or not.. but I'm trying to pair my clown fish with a smaller one. I figured it was now or literally never. I picked up a nice clown yesterday and my bigger clown got along with it for 20 minutes. Then just started tearing into it! doing the spasm shakes and all. The littler one submitted the whole time. It was in a tank with a much larger clown and was ready to be submissive. Then the lights went out and they kind of went to respective corners. Today, they seem to be getting along I have only seen the big clown do a spasm once. No charging and nipping. My sixline wrasse even got involved he apparently is looking for his place in the hierarchy too.

Anyway... fingers crossed, but have no idea. I would really like them to pair up.

Also, I picked up a red bali starfish... that might've been a mistake too. I guess I'll see in time. It really is pretty though!

So the two clowns appear to be getting along, but not sure if they are pairing? I have not seen them fight for 2 days. The little one wants to be friends for sure. I guess I'll keep an eye out. Meanwhile, some pix:

IMG_3258.JPG

IMG_3208.JPG

IMG_3255.JPG

IMG_3264.JPG

So the day before my Fungia looked tore up from the mouth, I had fed it really good. Yesterday I fed each head of my new acans. Later that night, I watched peppermint shrimp rip into the acan attempting to take digesting food from the coral. That beast has got to go! I already got one, now to get him out.

Meanwhile, the clowns are sleeping together... I have hope!!!

Some night time pix. Can you see the Pep Shrimp attacking the Acan?

IMG_3278.JPG

IMG_3281.JPG

IMG_3275.JPG

Paleoreef103

Peppermint Shrimp are the devil. I had one that did that exact same thing! I lost two acans and a micromussa to it. I used the two liter bottle fish trap method. To help it along, when it investigated I cornered it into the bottle with a net. Took me about 30 minutes and since then I've had no LPS loses.

Nice too see all these pics. You have some amazing corals. They just need to grow a bit now and fill your tank.

I have a peppermint to and you have me worried now. I'm only just adding life to the tank so I'll guess we'll just have to wait and see. I wonder how you can catch them because mine is always between or under the rocks.

Archived