Top Shelf Aquatics

Monosyth's Ocean2point0 - Starting over!

monosyth

well, i did catch the other one. I wouldn't trust it honestly. it did eat aiptasia, which is great, and it has great personality. however, when an $8 shrimp starts chewing on a $35 frag... and a $40 fungia... it's got to go! I have made an inverted bottle that I will put out tonight to see if I can catch it. Going to put mysis in the bottle. it'll be lucky if it see's the LFS.. thinking about grilling it. :haha: ewwwww!

On another note, I ordered the book Clownfishes by Joyce D. Wilkerson ... $15 on amazon used. I have hope for those to love birds yet. I watched them for over an hour last night.. (as peppermint went on attacking spree and I gave him the benefit of the doubt.)

Edited to add: Thanks Coralcor!!

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, tried to catch the pep shrimp last night. now he's scared of the net. I tried to use the bottle trap, and he went to the mouth and almost went in. I caught my cleaner shrimp in 2 seconds. he's the good guy though. so i put him in my detention box. :) Need to get that pep outta there though. 2 acan polyps look destroyed. I'm peed-offed!!

Well, so much for the starfish. It hasn't look great, and part of it's leg was breaking off, and it was all curled up with a bit of brown coming out of the center, so I took it out and I'm trying to dry it in the hot sun. Who knows, maybe that will work?

Also, caught the other peppermint shrimp, and took back to LFS. so kinda doing some back peddling I guess. gonna slow this thing down.

Meanwhile, snails are continuing to lay eggs!!!

OK, well, I happened to be in Irvine this weekend, and stopped in at Coral Oasis. Wow, impressive tanks! tons of frag tanks but mostly zoas. Did find some gems though. Green Monti Cap LARGE piece like 4 x 1.5 inches - $25. Chalice frag for $30. and a candy cane for $15.

I love my clowns! they are so cute. Seems to be a lot of algae on the sand. Not sure why CUC isn't getting at it.

Pix:

IMG_3305.JPG

IMG_3303.JPG

IMG_3302.JPG

IMG_3300.JPG

Definitely more colorful! I think my pistol shrimp took out my feather duster. :( oh well. And I seem to have a bit more algae, and am wondering if I need more clean up crew. It's really this filamentous algae growing on the sand... not sure what I need to help rid it.

OK, so pistol shrimp didn't get rid of feather duster. The feather duster turned itself around and opened up under the rock in the burrow of the pistol shrimp... I probably should move it. I tried twice, but it really seems stuck there, I don't want to hurt it.

Anyway, went and got some more clean up crew yesterday. 2 nassarrius, 2 mexican turbos - they are smaller ones, i figure I can get rid of them if they grow to big. Also got 1 more margarita snail and 1 more astrea snail. I also picked up a small emerald crab. I do have some bubble algae, but didn't realize that it would eat other algae as well! Can't find it today, but I have hope that its in there somewhere and alive.

IMG_3315.JPG

IMG_3319.JPG

I won some corals off from ebay yesterday, going to go pick them up this week. Green Pagoda, a Blue Ric, and Pumpkin Patch Rotundoflora. Can't wait to see in real life...

Emerald crab is alive.. just hides.. comes out every once in awhile to eat algae.. hoping it finds my bubble algae... thinking about adding another one.

Well, that cute emerald crab died... :tears:

looks like he jammed himself in a crevice and never came out... then i noticed he stopped moving. Today his legs are gone... hope things eat it's insides, cause there's no way i can get it out of the crevice...

Elliot Arturo

Monosyth did you make a modification on your stock lights?

I´m very impress about the pics with the actinic lights, i want to my RMS look like yours!

No modification to the lights, and the actinic lights are paired with the others so they are on at the same time. Do you have a pic of yours? You should start a thread!

Elliot Arturo
No modification to the lights, and the actinic lights are paired with the others so they are on at the same time. Do you have a pic of yours? You should start a thread!

Thanks for such a quick answer, i´m gonna gather photos and start to write the specification of my tank and later will make a thread.

bekindtoyurbuds

I was wondering about the blue light photos also, it looks awesome, are those the moonlights on?

I just have the regular RSM 130 (not the 130D, I think there is a difference), my moonlights don't make the colors pop that much, Im wondering if over time the moonlights change wave lengths? (my tanks been up for a little over a year and a half, my moonlights are more of a teal blue instead of that nice deep blue that makes the flourescents pop, I can't remeber if they ever made my corals color stand out in the begining, too long ago)

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, haven't got back to you @bekind, there are 4 blue led moonlights. The colors are actually quite amazing under them. They came with the 130D. I'm impressed with them. I almost wonder if there are black light qualities to them?

@rahorman: I had 4 shrimp at one time, but took the peppermint shrimp back after discovering they are the demons of the sea - they literally tore apart my plate coral and acans for the digesting mysis shrimp at night - they have since healed. I now have the tiger pistol which i *never* see... I hear it clicking all the time. I used to be able to watch it in its den, but I think it moved it to the back middle of the tank. The cleaner shrimp is great, although kinda a pain lately. Not afraid of anything. It stays mostly at the top. I think it ate my coco worm. Don't know much about the fire shrimp. The pmint shrimps never bothered the cleaner or vice versa.

Your tank looks real fresh..I def. need to do some reaquascaping in mine, but its tough because I have 43 lbs of rock and a decent amount of smaller sized pieces

Yea my fire shrimp is pretty awesome, he's pretty shy and only really comes out when he's hungry and/or feeding, but he looks real sweet. I def. want to add a cleaner but my friend was telling me not to because they wouldn't get along

Thanks rahorman. I just wish it would grow in faster! But it's going well.

@leveil22 I used to have some bubbles but not so bad anymore. I know a lot of people complain about that with the rsms but I don't think I got it as bad as others.

I bought two emerald crabs today also 4 more Nass snails. Hoping to keep sand cleaner. I also am having second thoughts with the other purchase today: yellow sleeper goby. Probably not a smart move but my sand is coverd in filementous algae. And I have reduced feedings in past two weeks. We'll see I guess. Probably will muck up everything.

Sleeper goby is going ok, definitely mucking up the place. sand is cleaner though. There seems to be some possible cyano on the side back... Since I have to blow off rocks of sand every day from sleeper goby, I just blow that around to get it down. I dunno.

Oh and obviously I can't keep emerald crabs. The 2 I bought died after a few days. Just like the last one. I don't know if I didn't have enough for them to eat or what.

My tank is 3 months old today! Never thought I'd see the day. Now for the next three months and seeing more changes. The newness has definitely worn off, but not completely. I don't spend as much time with the tank as I used to. I still maintain and make sure it looks clean though. Slowed on the spending of corals. I still want a clam, but going to wait another 3 months. Plus with the sleeper goby, if it's going to be mucky for awhile, I want to make sure the water is crystal clear before adding one.

Ok, some pix... Got a sleeper goby to clean my sand, so moved corals up because he's messy. water has been a bit messed up for clarity, but it will be soon shortly, i'm convinced. had to change my floss a lot. Not getting to the red slimy stuff off to the side! I stir that everyday, but it's back in 2 hrs. strange stuff!

Oh and I love when my pagoda looks like it does in this pic.

IMG_3393.JPG

IMG_3392.JPG

The lobo touched the Favia one night, really did some damage. I'm sure it'll be fine soon. Had to move lobo up from sleeper goby's habit of spreading sand...

IMG_3391.JPG

IMG_3379.JPG

And FTS: (notice how that most of the sand is in the middle of the tank thanks to sleeper goby. however, sand is clean!)

IMG_3390.JPG

I'm so mad! (at myself) My beautiful Acan fell on my Red Lobo Brain last night!!! Really killed it. I'm not sure if one polyp survived or not. Do I take this out? Will my water go bad? Do I try to clean it off?

IMG_3550.JPG

Archived