inTank Media Baskets

Monosyth's Ocean2point0 - Starting over!

monosyth

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

Thank you. It's been a battle some months with this small mighty beast. Lately, I've given up a little on it, and let some corals take over. I may be buying a house this year, and with that, I would like to upgrade this to something bigger. Seems like I've outgrown the nano size and want to create a little larger reef. The green dragon eye zoas are taking over though. The colonies of ricordia/rhodactis have gotten big, there are some purple deaths in there that are overgrown. But overall it looks good and it's been in a state of balance. I now have someone that comes every two weeks to change the water and clean it, as I haven't had the time. I definitely go through ups and downs of this. Love it though!

• 6 months later...

Well, the little yellow tailed blue damsel disappeared in the past week or so. So I'm now down to:

Clown Fish Pair

Bangaii Cardinal - with recently tattered fins, related to missing damsel?

Lemonpeel hybrid Dwarf Angelfish (coral safe)

What would be a good fish or two? They seem skiddish now that there is no safety in numbers.

I took a video today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtEpz_el7_k&feature=youtu.be

• 1 month later...

Looks like I'm moving and buying a house that needs a complete remodel. Any one have success with moving a tank with remodeling? I'm thinking of selling it all off and starting up after everything is done at the new house. Thoughts?

I would try to save what you have, maybe put it in a spot in the garage where it can be stationary? I don't think that you would get back what you have spent on the tank. Unfortuanately that's part of this hobby.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Latest update: I had my tank moved to my new house by a professional who regularly cleans my tank. The clam later that day started spewing white stuff and mad the entire tank cloudy. The next morning all of the fish (3) were dead. Really sad, had the clown pair since the beginning of this project! The clam today looked sad and I threw it out. The other clam in there, the big one next to the glass will be evicted when I find a home for it. The tank still looks very unhappy. It needs a water change for sure. I have new chemipure elite in there currently.

tankcrash.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

And we start over. #Ocean2point0

Added some rock from Aquatic Warehouse, aquascape looks pretty good with a cave. Also added 10 snails, 12 hermits. I also have a rather large Mexican Turbo Snail that survived the crash. And only the one Frogspawn coral for now. I'm trying to wipe out all Zoas. There are some green ones still in there.

Bought a new Vortech MP10 and also a new thermometer, Tiny Time or Temp.

step2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

FTS and updates:

Inhabitants:

SPS Corals - Birds Nest, Cauliflower, M. Digitata, Red Planet Acropora, Stylophora, ???

Fungia

Duncan

Frogspawn

Clown Pair - She has a misbar

Pixy Flamehawk

Pajama Cardinal

Yellow watchman goby, but haven't seen him in a few days

Cleaner Shrimp

ftsmay16.jpg

topshelf.jpg

fungia.jpg

Wondering what skimmer I can use with this modded RSM130D. Would any Aquamaxx work? Also, I just bought 2 Current LED lights at $400, but not sure they are good enough? They are pretty, but not sure they are strong enough for my new SPS.

• 5 months later...

Well, the old rock got covered in a ton of algae. I swapped out all the rock and started over yet again. Swapped out the LED lighting, it was too strong. Corals got healthier and brighter back on T5 lights. Picked up some great corals today and a sixline wrasse.

Corals added today:

Golden Hammer Coral (Australia)

Mint Candy Cane Trumpets

Neon Green Trumpets

Montipora Setor Setosa - BEAUTIFUL!

Also added:

2 Orange Leg / Halloween Hermits ($10 each!)

1 Conch

10 super tiny blue leg hermits

nov2016fts.jpg

More corals from liveaquaria.com and replaced the light bulbs to ATI from stock bulbs on the AquaticLife T5 lights. Glad I switched back to T5 from LED lights.

ftsnov10.jpg

Four new corals from LiveAquaria, that will need to be moved but for now are hanging out.

Digitate Acropora - Acropora samoensis

Aussie Moon Brain - Moselyeya latistellata - My current fave! (the bright green one)

Aussie Favites Brain - Favites pentagona

Purple Undata Montipora - love this one too!

4corals.jpg

Video of the tank:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTPDDbxIwU0

Archived