Pod Your Reef

Monosyth's Ocean2point0 - Starting over!

monosyth

jessegarcia28

Tank looks great. i really like ur aquascape and ur coral selection. a Big + on the t5s. i stil have the stock lights with a reefbight led with a dimmer and a aquaray led strip also for shimmer, but later i guess i will replace the hood with an all led fixture, hopefully a 120w

yo i just noticed ur from san diego ca. also. cool cool.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks! Got any pix of your setup? I thought about LEDs too, but had to go the affordable route for now. What are the LFS you go to around here?

Aquaticlife 24" 4x24 T5 is here!

I set it up, but it was lights off time so I didn't really get to see how it looks for real. I did test the lights to see true actinics only.

The surprise: this lighting unit has 4 blue led moon lights! Waaaaaaay too bright I'm my opinion. The six line wrasse did not go to bed because it was too bright. This lighting unit was advertised as having only 2 led moon lights. But... The shimmer was really pretty. These LEDs are about as bright as the ecoxotic stunners.

I am so far excited about this lighting and cant wait to see how my corals react.

It's a whole new look for my RSM. No more an all in one.

Ok, so checking out my new fixture today, lights look good, although not as bright as it was before.

Wondering if anyone knew if there is a burn in period for the t5's for them to be better?

Light has been on for a few hours, and it isn't too hot at all.

Wondering what the PAR values are for stock lighting in the aquaticlife 4x24 is? vs PAR value of the stock RSM lighting? I know I can't wait to upgrade the bulbs already. But perhaps my corals will brighten up and not looks so bleached out?

On a side note, my green acropora has it's tentacles really out today, looking great! Nothing to do with the light, or perhaps it was lack of a moon light last night, as I did not turn them on. They are way too bright. However, now that my top is off the RSM, the street light shines through the window into the tank, I think that might have to be a moon light for now.

Awesome colors, nice job!

The water in your tank is always so clear. Do you still get micro bubbles? Running anything in the chamber 3 (COD)? I started running filter floss in the new surface skimmer and it works great!

Thanks! I do not have the microbubbles anymore. The latest reason after the move was because the bottom of the Tunze 9002 had fallen off. I have the inTank media rack, and just run 2 layers of the flat filter floss from inTank, and next is purigen, and last one is chemi pure elite. I do think there is a difference running the elite and purigen together, I once tried just regular chemi pure and no purigen and feel I saw a difference. I do not run anything in the chamber of death, chamber 3. How do you get back there to maintain that anyway - it would be such a pain. I have been battling cyano/dino something and have been keeping up on water changes. Trying to keep up on my calcium and mag. I always feel when the magnesium is higher, the water is clearer.

Meanwhile, the lights are burning in and I am not minding the look so much anymore. Either that, I'm getting used to it. I am still planning to switch the bulbs out at some point, but might not rush to do it as I planned.

If there was said cover for the RSM to hide the rear chambers. And said cover was mass produced for the owner to purchased and some stupid website. Said cover would be black, look like what this StevieT guy has, hides all ugly equipment and wires and unfortunately awesome looking skimmer cup.

1. Would you mind breaking the hood pin tabs on the very rear top of the tank?
  2. Or does something inside you say that is a no-no and they should stay. You know that one day I want to downgrade my lighting again or I just don't want to break anything.

I would fear by breaking the pin holders with wrong tool would pierce the glass somehow or vibrations would damage and crack the tank that I personally wouldn't risk it. In saying so, i don't feel as strongly about a back cover because I can't see it too much because the light blocks it. However it would be nice if some had a hanging light. But I may want one just to finish off the look.

lol, exactly why I ask the question. If I were to put it into production I would only want one size. It looks and works much better with the tabs removed.

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered new T5 bulbs:

KZ Fiji Purple

ATI Blue+

ATI Aquablue

ATI Blue+

Got them from Hello Lights, hope they come quickly. Chose them because they are in anaheim, very close. Marine depot did not carry the KZ fiji purple bulb, so they lost me on that order.

My corals seem to like the T5's and have responded well, just don't like the color. Very yellow. Hope this makes a difference! Can't wait to see it.

WOW. That's all I can say. Got my bulbs for my light today. I'm in love. It's a Christmas miracle!

AND... I got a huge blastomussa wellsi at the LFS for $99! A steal. Easily has 15 heads on it, with more on the way. Bright red. I'll get pix later, after it's plump, and my lighting acclimates.

Anyway, VERY happy with my Fixture now. Thanks to Hello Lights for getting my order to me fast!

Pictures! And Now I understand why everyone's tank looks so much better, they have actual T5 lighting! I had to turn off my blue actinics to get these pix to look more life like, but this is almost how it looks like now with all lights on. BEAUTIFUL. I'm in love right now with what its looking like. I have been working hard on the tank to make it look great! (And all my fish are out in the open for their photo op! Count: 7)

IMG_5406.JPG

Blastomussa Wellsi! Loving this great deal!

IMG_5408.JPG

IMG_5410.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Well, sadly my coco worm has passed. Looks like it got attacked somehow? Not sure. Oh well. It was just growing back it's crown too from dropping them recently. Maybe it wasn't a good idea as many say. I will not replacing it.

The good news is that my green acropora is doing wonderful. A couple of reasons why I think that this is true is because, I followed the LFS advice to keep my water temp at 78 degrees. Everything really is reacting well. And with an open top, it never overheats anymore. Plus T5 lighting is amazing. I'm sorry but that RSM hood was no where close to T5 lighting. Not equal. Not ever. I've also kept up with my dosing and water changes religiously. So in saying so, I'm going to be looking for a few more acroporas. Perhaps a blue tort, something very staghorn-like that will really stand up and out. I'm looking to diversify my colors. YELLOW RED BLUE ORANGE are needed in this tank!

I found a new LFS here in San Diego, Pet Kingdom. Really Great Place! I got a pink millepora, red monti digitata and a blue tort/staghorn. Pretty good prices too! Got some height to my reef started now!

photo%201.JPG

photo%202.JPG

So it appears that my next upgrade might be an MP10... It just seems right if I want to have good flow in my tank. Now to save my pennies.

jessegarcia28

very nice tank bro. love the colors and ur fish/coral selection. keep the pics coming. I also have an RSM 130d. love that lil. tank :)

Im also from san diego 91911

Well brittle star has found a new home. I wonder if it was the culprit of the past two cleaner shrimp deaths? I do have a rogue crab in there as well. I would like to get another cleaner shrimp. What do you guys think of a blood red shrimp?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I did get a blood shrimp last week. Great guy, reminds me a lot of my skunk cleaner shrimp. Today I bit the bullet and ordered: EcoTech Marine MP10 Vortech Propeller Pump w/ EcoSMART Driver! Hoping my corals will love it and that it'll be worth it.

MP10 is installed.. I just have it on the basic setting level/light #4.. What's a good setting? Hope this thing is worth it. Looks nice in the tank at least. I can see the undertow that is making. it's cool that it can be turned up and down, but wondering should I put it in some mode?

Archived