Cultivated Reef

Monosyth's Ocean2point0 - Starting over!

monosyth

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey man been a while tank looks awsome wish mine looked so good, :bowdown: its hard to find decent coral in st. louis mo and when u do there more then i can afford :(

Thank you! It has been a challenge some days. I do get a lot of corals locally, that's for sure, but if you can get past the overnight shipping fees, there are deals to be found out there.

A few things today... Duncan placement. Not sure where to put it. I don't think it likes lots of flow. I've moved it to the side and it seemed to open a bit. Maybe it's happy?

photo.jpg

I've also moved my acans to the other side of the tank. Not sure about their placement either. they like low flow for sure! I want to glue them down or something. Argh.

photo%202.jpg

And also, I got some chaeto for my picotope, but not sure it really needs it as much as this tank does, so I took a bit of it and put it in the basket of the intake area. it gets light and hopefully will compete out the red turf algae? I would like to put in back chamber with a fuge light, but maintaining it seems like a pain to me. It's hard to get things out of the back. I'd hate to bury the chaeto deep back there.

I have my Duncans about the same height as you do. My MP10 is on the right wall and Duncams are on the left side of my tank and they get hit fairly hard with flow deflected off the left wall, but seem pretty happy there.

Interesting idea on the chaeto.

I never noticed this, light spills over the wall into the media rack area??

Hmmm...

Oh yes the light does! there is always red turf algae growing in there! and snails are always going in there for some snack apparently. I don't know how this will effect intake flow, but can keep an eye on it pretty easily.

Does anyone think that chaeto can outcompete red turf algae?

• 2 weeks later...

i think i'm going to really start 10% water changes weekly. see if i see a noticeable difference. things could be better in the tank.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I just put an order in with the drs. I ordered 2 ecoxotic stunner strips 453 blue. Hopefully it'll add a little pop. Just looking for some interest and supplemental color. I plan to put on a timer and leave the lights on with main lights and then 2 hrs after lights out. I also ordered some chemi pure elite to replace and a new hydor flo to replace my algae covered one. I want to replace my koralia 2, but that will have to wait.

Current Lighting schedule: with stock RSM 130D lighting.

9am-8pm (11hrs)

I'm thinking now maybe {9am-10am Stunners} {10am-8pm Both} {8pm-10pm Stunners}

or, just same schedule and add 2 hrs to the end of regular schedule with stunners.

Any thoughts?

Ok, I just put an order in with Reefcleaners.org...

1 Rock Boring Urchins*

5 Limpets*

5 Nerite Snails (Small - Medium)

5 Zig Zag Periwinkles

2 Fuzzy Chiton*

3 Fly Speckled Cerith

5 Assorted Hermits*

I really ordered to get the urchin to hopefully take down my red scrub algae. I hope so! Also I'm excited about the chitons, anyone have any of these guys?

I think those LED's will help everything POP, plus they will give that cool MH shimmer. I had two current usa powerbrites before I upgraded my lighting and they definitely add something. Thats the biggest complaint I had with the stock RSM lighting was the low actinics.

Why are you moving to 10% water changes? I didnt read your whole thread, you battling algae?

Tanks looking good!

Have you ever had problems with zoa fungus?

I am battling a red turf algae. (not cyano) that's why I ordered the urchin. I'm just wondering if I'll see a difference with weekly changes. No problems with zoa fungus. Thanks! I'm hoping to add a center piece soon that's pink or orange. A wellsi or trach.

Ok updates: Stunner strips are installed. I'm happy with a bit more blue. It's very glowy with main lights off. Also for tank diary.. Chemi Pure was changed. I thought I bought the Elite, but the drs sent me the regular. Oh well.

IMG_4064.JPG

IMG_4066_2.jpg

IMG_4068.JPG

IMG_4069.JPG

IMG_4070.JPG

well, i had the stunners on after lights out last night and all the fish freaked out. I was going to have them on for an hour or so, but, i changed it to 20 minutes. not sure if they need to get used to it or what? my female clown kept chasing the little male during the whole time like she didn't recognize him. he was like :huh:

now just waiting for my little urchin that i have too much faith in from reef cleaners.

I am really liking the stunner lights you added. My tank is only 4 days old and already I have the itch to mod it. This is going to get expensive quickly :D . I hope your fish adjust to them soon.

Honestly, I don't see much "shimmer" with main lights on.. However, the corals pop and there is a more blue hue which I like.

Meanwhile I got my reefcleaners pkg today. I was surprised at how it was packed. I think everything made it ok. The urchin is twice as big as I thought it would be. We'll see how it gets around the tank. Snails seem fine. The chitons are cool, not really waking up yet though. And only one hermit crab made it I think.

That urchin looked huge in the bag but seems to fit okay in the tank. I am curious to see how you make out with it. Any luck with the stunners last night?

I got a Brain Coral today. So excited. Also got some pink zoas, but waiting for them to open. Also got some Emerald Crabs that are doing a great job munching on the red turf algae.

IMG_4104.JPG

IMG_4123.JPG

IMG_4126.JPG

IMG_4128.JPG

Archived