ReefCleaners.org

LED Pico Light

evilc66

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't wait to see your par testings on these new lenses to clear up the confusion surrounding these new lights.

+1. I'm debating between the 60 and 80. More data would make it easier to choose methinks...

Deleted User 6
It's not complicated, but it's not fun to do. Basically you have to roll the fins back on the entire heatsink so you can pop the trim rin off. Once that's off, the lens holder comes out and you can pop the lenses out from the back. Just reverse the process when putting it back together. THE FINS ARE SHARP!!!!

Like this?

4679043e.jpg

:o Yikes. I'm going to be doing this with 3 of them soon. It actually doesn't seem very hard at all but looking at it like that gives me flashbacks of the money I spent on them. :lol: (Money well worth it of course but money nevertheless.)

ok clive

i have gone back and forth with you several times and now ready to bite the bullet.

i restarted my tank 40 br mixed reef mainly sps, & lps though... if i go with 4 lamps what optics, also 5 lamps what optics. plus 2 of the 5 or 1 of the 4 would be all royals or is that not a good idea

thanks

rick

Unless you want a super blue tank, the all royal lamp might be a bit much. I'd only do it if you went with five lamps. Use it in the center, 80 degree optics, and mount it higher than the other lamps to get the most coverage. For the rest, 60 degree lenses will be fine if you want to mount the lamps closer than I do (currently 30" from sand to lamp).

The first one won't be able to support the weight if you plan on angling the fixture. The second one has promise, as the gooseneck is thicker, and shorter.

Like evil just said, the biggest challenge in finding a support for the fixture is that none of the clip ons were really designed to hold the weight of a PAR38. I went to Office Max and Home Depot this past weekend, PAR38 in hand, and didn't find a single furniture grade support for the light. There is one from Office Max that has some potential though, I just need to tighten up the stock screws. Another member on the forum uses this one from Office Max as well with success.

I'm pretty sure some of our members have used a very similar fixture with good results with this bulb.

I think fiction101 is one of them, but you'd have to check recent posts on his pico tank thread to be sure.

Long time reader but very few posts. Just placed an order for 2 of these bulbs for testing. Has anyone tried using this light fixture from Ikea?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20370383

It has air vents to displace the hot air, but I'm wondering if the arm itself is capable of supporting the weight of the bulb?

It's pretty much the same basic concept as the Office Max fixture that fiction101 used. As long as the screws can be tightened enough to lock it in place it will work.

Thanks for the quick replies everyone! Is it ok to leave the dome part of the light fixture in place? I noticed in fiction101's pic that it's been removed?

Archived