ReefCleaners.org

LED Pico Light

evilc66

Perfect, Thanks for the quick response. I will see how they do and maybe order another light as i dont like the shadowing off to the sides as much at that height. Also it is easier to make a good looking light stand at the lower height. Plus with two bulbs I think it would look bad ass.

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok so made a quick mock up light stand tonight. The final one will probably be made from 1 inch box aluminum tubing. Which will incorprate moon lights in it. This is the par38-80 deress optic 12k light mounted 6 1/2 " above water line and 15" above sand bed. The shimmer reflected to the cieling is amazing. With no light fixture hood to get in the way it reflects great.

IMG_1385.jpg

IMG_1386.jpg

IMG_1387.jpg

My light FINALLY made it to my house! It really is completely different from the PCs that came with my Biocube 8g. A few months after I bought it, the actinic ballast went out, so I've been operating with plain 10k lighting for quite some time. Also, the lights were getting old, which I think has a little to do with the ugly algae I've been getting.

The LED light is so much more focused and shimmery. I've had it lit for about two hours now and it brings out so much color and the corals already look happier.

Anyway...... Here are some before shots:

IMG_0245-1.jpg

IMG_0244-1.jpg

And now with the new LED lighting!

IMG_0246-1.jpg

IMG_0247-1.jpg

The pictures don't do it justice - the color is so vibrant I had an impossible time trying to get a realistic color balance on my camera. To get the shimmer effect, I'll take a video later and post that.

I DEFINITELY recommend this light!

Time for a little more info for you on the PAR38's. This is the PAR plots for all the lens options we offer at 3 heights; 14", 20", and 30" from the top of the sensor to the bottom of the lamp.

Measurements were taken using an Apogee QMSW-SS Quantum meter on the daylight setting. Grid is made from a 27x27 square eggcrate and was measured on every other square. Eggcrate is on a 5/8" grid, so each measurement is spaced 1.25" apart. The grid was repositioned on each measurement group by finding the hotspot of the lamp using the PAR meter.

I only used the 12K for measurements, as the 20K is the same PAR.

I only measured a quarter of the spread, as it seemed a little redundant basically being duplicated 3 more times.

On to the fun part

14in40deg.jpg

14", 40 degree

20in40deg.jpg

20", 40 degree

30in40deg.jpg

30", 40 degree

14in60deg.jpg

14", 60 degree

20in60deg.jpg

20", 60 degree

30in60deg.jpg

30", 60 degree

14in80deg.jpg

14", 80 degree

20in80deg.jpg

20", 80 degree

30in80deg.jpg

30", 80 degree

Now, these numbers are taken in open air, so expect to see about a 10-20% increase in PAR from focusing of surface agitation and internal tank reflection.

can i light a fuge with one of these bulbs? 18wx22lx14h if so what color tenp and optics. thanks

A standard cool white lamp would be better suited for that. That's not something that we offer right now. You can get lamps like that fairly cheap online.

Nice chart of PAR readings. So I think 2 PAR38 with 60 deg should light my 24" 16" deep tank.

Thanks. Took a lot of work.

2 should be good for a tank of that size.

and for my first post...

I can't tell from the charts if there is any advantage of having a 40 degree mounted high or an 80 degree mounted low to get full coverage in a pico.

I currently have two 80 degree mounted low over an aga 5.5 hoping for high par under the lights and where they overlap. I'm looking for high par near the top for plating montipora.

I assume the readings are from the newer 21w version of the par38

I have the older 15w version. how much of a difference is there between then two?

looks to me that 20" for the par38 over a pico would be about perfect to house

just about anything ?

I don't have as detailed numbers on the 15W version, but there was about a 20% increase in PAR going from the 15W to the 21W with 40 degree optics.

How many of these lamps would you recommend over a 26 gallon bowfront, with no plans on SPS and no $ for LPS? :lol:

You will need two. If it's a softie only tank, then you could use the 80 degree optics. It never lasts though ;) If you want a well balanced setup that will support a good mixed reef, then go with the 60 degree optics.

A quick picture of my NEO Arm light fixtures I got in from Aquatouch

IMG_4896.jpg

Mike

Tasty. What is the distance from the mount to the lamp?

Can someone explain these "optics", I hate multiple numbers and choices, especially when I don't understand them!

Thanks!

They focus light. Wider optics produce a wider coverage area, but less overall PAR. Tighter optics produce less coverage, but more PAR.

Jeremiahmeister
They focus light. Wider optics produce a wider coverage area, but less overall PAR. Tighter optics produce less coverage, but more PAR.

Now it's more clear to me, so evil... talking about the par38 light and optics what do you recommend for mi tank? (jbj 3g picotope) I want the most variety of corals possible, and you know if nanocustoms shipping to México City?, thanks.

Not bad. How does the mount handle the weight?

The mount uses a vice like holding system with a neoprene type insert to protect the glass from getting scratch. I believe the clamp is able to open up enough to accommodate a maximum of 15mm glass.

Archived