Innovative Marine Aquariums

LED Pico Light

evilc66

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't set a firm price or ETA yet. I'm trying desperately to keep it under $50 each. The LEDs are the killer here, but I don't want to skimp on quality.

Haven't set a firm price or ETA yet. I'm trying desperately to keep it under $50 each. The LEDs are the killer here, but I don't want to skimp on quality.

I have an odd shaped tank at 30x12x14 and you had mentioned in another thread that I would have to pull 3 Par38s for good coverage there. I am hoping that I will be able to do 5-6 of these in the hopes that I can keep the cost down a little. ;) Plus, I like the look of numerous smaller lights. :)

I can't wait to hear more. Great work so far!

• 4 weeks later...

how many lumens are these creating?

thanks!

I have a 5 gallon tank i am exploring LED lighting on.. i was curious how many lumens these are putting out.

i would like to do sps in the tank so how many do you think i would need?

Which lamps? Anyway, lumens means nothing. With LEDs, it very easy to have a low lumen, high PAR setup.

alrighy :) is there someone on the board that would rent out a par meter? i ordered some ebay pico style lights with the LED's in them and would love to see what the measure out at rather than having to gut them out and put cree chips in them.. if they are fine without the crees i'd be happy :)

Which lamps did you get?

Check your local reef club to see if they have a PAR meter for rent, or if a member has one that you can borrow.

well unfortuneately i was banned from the local reef club for "commercial posting" like 4 years ago and they refuse to give me an account.. total bs too. I was a supporting member and had thousands of posts. They had a section called reef deals where people posted good deals for reef keepers in the area .. i mentioned that the place that i worked was having a great deal on something (i forget what now) and they called it a commercial post warned me. which was fine. then like 2 years later (even though i was a paying member) some mod decided since i didnt have a tank at the time that i couldnt post anything in the for sale section (had some random stuff like some electronics that i posted in the appropriate "non reef item for sale section". Like all the other PAYING members i had every right to post there. but they without warning banned me for life. so they kinda burned my bridge there..

i'd be willing to rent one from someone here and can provide my ebay account name and such for verification that i am trustworthy :)

here are the links to the bulbs i ordered:

I just ordered 3 of these bulbs for $13 shipped

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

and 2 of these bulbs for 17 shipped:

they look promising :)

well unfortuneately i was banned from the local reef club for "commercial posting" like 4 years ago and they refuse to give me an account.. total bs too. I was a supporting member and had thousands of posts. They had a section called reef deals where people posted good deals for reef keepers in the area .. i mentioned that the place that i worked was having a great deal on something (i forget what now) and they called it a commercial post warned me. which was fine. then like 2 years later (even though i was a paying member) some mod decided since i didnt have a tank at the time that i couldnt post anything in the for sale section (had some random stuff like some electronics that i posted in the appropriate "non reef item for sale section". Like all the other PAYING members i had every right to post there. but they without warning banned me for life. so they kinda burned my bridge there..

i'd be willing to rent one from someone here and can provide my ebay account name and such for verification that i am trustworthy :)

I ordered one of these to test out: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...#ht_3185wt_1002

the only problem is the 160deg optics, and from what I understand optics are manufacturer based. Hopefully I can find out what brand LED's these use. I was just interested in some supplemental color to add to my beautiful PAR38.

Huh, bummer. Sounds a lot like the mentality at another reef site that shall remain nameless.

For small tanks, those lamps could work decent. The worst thing you may see is that you get poor color blending from having the colored light sources quite far away from each other. For the price you paid though, it's worth trying.

i've considered the light blending problem.. and thought about maybe make them rear facing with a mirror in the hood.. idk yet.. i think it should be fine though.. worst case scenerio i could take them apart and distribute the blues to the other bulbs :)

if i could get a decent light from them i'd consider doing a larger tank again.. the wife and I are on a mission to reduce utils as much as possible.. we've already cut electricity by about 40-50 a month :) (easy when you find a fridge was broken and running constantly lol and a couple other little things around the house)

i wouldnt want to increase my electric bill too much and like the idea of the LED systems :)

• 3 months later...

Right. That will be replaced by the MR16 lamps I'm working on. Should be a few more months unfortunately.

My aunt saw my 6g pico with the evilc's Par38 bulb and she wants me to set her up an aquarium!

She has a 48x12x16(tall) 45 Long tank and she wants to grow softies. I'm going to put a wall up at the end of the tank for a built in sump and make a penninsula tank. So the effective length of the tank is 42".

I was looking around the forums for what other people have been using and this is what I've arrived at:

3 Par38 bulbs with 60 degree optics.

This I think should give me enough coverage. Does this sound right, Clive? And how high above the sand should the bulbs be placed? Does 27 inches sound right?

She's calling an electrician to hang light fixtures over the tank. She's crazier than me!

You may need a few more than 3 lamps to get the job done, but if you keep the mounting system flexible, then you should be able to add more lamps as needed. I think the height and the use of 60 degree lenses should be good.

• 3 weeks later...
CdnVelvet066

Evil, do you still sell par 20 bulbs that would be suitable for the jbj 2.5g pico? I have been looking online and can only find your par 38 which I think is overkill.

I am very interested in buying!

Catherine In Texas

• 6 months later...

What happened with these anyway? I would have thought that these would have been a hit. Surprisingly no other reef lighting companies tried these either (that I know of). Did they not sell well? Technical limitations? I can't believe that I missed out on them. Did I miss out on the MR-16s as well or are they still on hold?

What happened with these anyway? I would have thought that these would have been a hit. Surprisingly no other reef lighting companies tried these either (that I know of). Did they not sell well? Technical limitations? I can't believe that I missed out on them. Did I miss out on the MR-16s as well or are they still on hold?

Didn't Nanotuners buy all of these from Evil and now he's working for them or something to that effect?

Actually I just looked and they are right on the front page. I'm almost positive that this is why Evil stopped making these himself.

Archived