Top Shelf Aquatics

LED Pico Light

evilc66

i dont think the wider angle lenses are an option yet :(

your gonna wanna hang it high maybe about 20" and see how your corals do! then lower a few inches every week till you get the best corvage for what your tank can handle :)

mine sits about 18" above the water level and verything seems to be doing great!

i might lower it a lil and see how things go

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I JUST rigged something up for a PAR38. B) Just deciding now to either go ahead and order the current bulb or wait to see how the wide angle goes. My setup allows for pretty flexible positioning, but if the wide angle is available soon, I might as well wait.

so I have a question and it might be a dumb one but in the PAR38 lamp I think I remember you saying that the par is the same between the white and blue led's! Does this mean you could go all blue and get the same growth results? :blink:

In theory, yes. The corals may not be all that happy from not having a more "full" spectrum.

i dont think the wider angle lenses are an option yet :(

your gonna wanna hang it high maybe about 20" and see how your corals do! then lower a few inches every week till you get the best corvage for what your tank can handle :)

mine sits about 18" above the water level and verything seems to be doing great!

i might lower it a lil and see how things go

Correct. Wide angle lenses are not on the website yet, and any order placed without specific instructions on what lens you want will ship with 40 degree lenses. Fratitude, if you call Nick right now, you may be able to get the order changed before it ships. It's an extra cost though.

The option for the other optics should go up no later than Monday if I can get Chris to update the website.

Deleted User 6

Evil - you said it's possible to change the lenses ourselves. Is it just a matter of taking the screws out on the back of the fixture and removing the front? how complicated is it to do?

nanotuners.com

http://www.nanotuners.com/product_info.php...products_id=623

Optics available now. It adds 2 days lead time and $5.95 for the quick change out.

If you are NUTS about this stuff, i suggest just ordering it with Cree Lenses from the LED section. This will allow you to modify each one as you desire. Say you want blues wide angle and whites narrow, etc etc. etc.

As a company, we will stand behind our warranty, but the only changes must be limited to the lenses. Any damage, or injury (ask evil, those fins are sharp) are not the resposibility of Nanocustoms and is the sole responsibility of the customer.

Happy Holidays

Chris

Deleted User 6

You mean you'll take my light back when I slice off my finger and spray blood all over it? You guys are the best company ever.

Evil, if I switch out the 40s for 60s and drop the light 9" (putting it 8" from the water), what effect will that have on par and spread? should i go with 80s instead if i'm going that route? I think i'm getting some dead spots on the sides of the tank that I might want to get rid of.

so does this mean we can send our already purchased lamps to have the lenses swapped out and have a red led added? for a fee of course :happydance:

Optics available now. It adds 2 days lead time and $5.95 for the quick change out.

If you are NUTS about this stuff, i suggest just ordering it with Cree Lenses from the LED section. This will allow you to modify each one as you desire. Say you want blues wide angle and whites narrow, etc etc. etc.

As a company, we will stand behind our warranty, but the only changes must be limited to the lenses. Any damage, or injury (ask evil, those fins are sharp) are not the resposibility of Nanocustoms and is the sole responsibility of the customer.

Happy Holidays

Chris

Dang it!!! my light already shipped today ha...guess I should order the wider optics? How easy is the swap?

shoulda waited one day....

Happy Holidays

Chris

so your saying we can just buy extra lenses and swap them out with the lenses that are already in the lamp? No soldering? Are there instructions on how to swap the lenses?

Evil, I know you're likely getting spammed with questions right now, but I'm gonna ask one I bet will be asked alot:

Which angle optics on the PAR 38 will give the best performance (as the primary lighting source) for those of us with the JBJ Picotope? Inquiring minds want to know before ordering! Thanks! :happy:

Evil, I know you're likely getting spammed with questions right now, but I'm gonna ask one I bet will be asked alot:

Which angle optics on the PAR 38 will give the best performance for those of us with the JBJ Picotope? Inquiring minds want to know before ordering! Thanks! :happy:

+1

Thanks in advance!

Evil - you said it's possible to change the lenses ourselves. Is it just a matter of taking the screws out on the back of the fixture and removing the front? how complicated is it to do?

It's not complicated, but it's not fun to do. Basically you have to roll the fins back on the entire heatsink so you can pop the trim rin off. Once that's off, the lens holder comes out and you can pop the lenses out from the back. Just reverse the process when putting it back together. THE FINS ARE SHARP!!!!

Happy Holidays

Chris

Ask and you shall recieve apparently :)

You mean you'll take my light back when I slice off my finger and spray blood all over it? You guys are the best company ever.

Evil, if I switch out the 40s for 60s and drop the light 9" (putting it 8" from the water), what effect will that have on par and spread? should i go with 80s instead if i'm going that route? I think i'm getting some dead spots on the sides of the tank that I might want to get rid of.

Not sure on the overall changes in PAR and coverage yet. I'm still trying to find a few hours to run all the tests. wider optics will help, but I don't know how much PAR you will sacrifice, and what distance you will need to put the lamp.

so does this mean we can send our already purchased lamps to have the lenses swapped out and have a red led added? for a fee of course :happydance:

That's usually how things have been done. Just cover the shipping and we can update the lamp. The CW/RB/R lamp might be changing in configuration to get the "Radium" look. The red LED is simply just too overpowering, and honestly nausiating. I have a plan though :)

so your saying we can just buy extra lenses and swap them out with the lenses that are already in the lamp? No soldering? Are there instructions on how to swap the lenses?

See my reply to DHaut. It's not hard, but it's not fun.

That's usually how things have been done. Just cover the shipping and we can update the lamp. The CW/RB/R lamp might be changing in configuration to get the "Radium" look. The red LED is simply just too overpowering, and honestly nausiating. I have a plan though :)

so your saying its best to wait till you get "Radium" look figured out ?

Deleted User 6

Thanks - i'm going to give it a couple more months to see what my SPS do. If they aren't making out like I had hoped, I'll consider a change. Should give you plenty of time to get more data together as well.

It'd be helpful to have some kind of pictoral guide to swapping out optics as well. Maybe snap some shots of how you do it in shop? Just so I can see what you mean by folding the fins, etc. I don't want to mangle my pretty light.

It'd be helpful to have some kind of pictoral guide to swapping out optics as well. Maybe snap some shots of how you do it in shop? Just so I can see what you mean by folding the fins, etc. I don't want to mangle my pretty light.

would be nice! I would be pretty mad at myself if I broke my new PAR38 before even using it :P

Maybe snap some shots of how you do it in shop?

You mean in my kitchen? :lol:

Yeah, I'm sure I can come up with some instructions.

would be nice! I would be pretty mad at myself if I broke my new PAR38 before even using it :P

I'd be more concerned about cutting yourself. It will be very hard to break the lamp, but not so hard to slice a finger open. I have. Makes interesting cut patterns when you cut yourself on three fins at a time :)

Evil - Great job on answering everyones Q's and keeping us up to date with all the new goodies with LED's.

I am upgrading my tank and the dimensions will be 30x22x18. I have been using T5's but really want to try the spotlights out. I have mostly SPS but have a mix also, I keep most of my LPS on the sides. I am thinking of trying a 5-6 of these guys out on a custom track light system. I was thinking 2 38's, 2 60, 2 90's?

What is your opinion?

Thanks in advance

-Dave

You mean in my kitchen? :lol:

Yeah, I'm sure I can come up with some instructions.

I'd be more concerned about cutting yourself. It will be very hard to break the lamp, but not so hard to slice a finger open. I have. Makes interesting cut patterns when you cut yourself on three fins at a time :)

If you have a pair, wear some Mechanix Wear gloves while doing it, has saved my fingers/knuckles countless times on a large number of things, usually changing oil in my car, but you get the idea.

Evil - Great job on answering everyones Q's and keeping us up to date with all the new goodies with LED's.

I am upgrading my tank and the dimensions will be 30x22x18. I have been using T5's but really want to try the spotlights out. I have mostly SPS but have a mix also, I keep most of my LPS on the sides. I am thinking of trying a 5-6 of these guys out on a custom track light system. I was thinking 2 38's, 2 60, 2 90's?

What is your opinion?

Thanks in advance

-Dave

That could work. You may not need to resort to as many angle options, but it will all depend on the appearance you are going for. All 40s will give you complete coverage, but mounting will be higher. 60s and 80s will let you mount a lot closer. Give me a few days to get the PAR measurements done and the options will start to make a little more sense.

If you have a pair, wear some Mechanix Wear gloves while doing it, has saved my fingers/knuckles countless times on a large number of things, usually changing oil in my car, but you get the idea.

I do have some, but I hate the lack of tactile feel when working on something like this. When I'm working on my car, no problem.

Which angle optics on the PAR 38 will give the best performance (as the primary lighting source) for those of us with the JBJ Picotope? Inquiring minds want to know before ordering! Thanks! :happy:

hello Evil and was hoping for your thoughts on the above question - really looking forward to trying out your lighting.

thanks....

Guess I missed that one.

Any lens option will work with the Picotope. The only difference will be the height you have to mount the lamp above the tank. Tighter the lens, higher the mounting position.

Guess I missed that one.

Any lens option will work with the Picotope. The only difference will be the height you have to mount the lamp above the tank. Tighter the lens, higher the mounting position.

Would the 80 degree lens spread too much light outside of the tank?

Archived