Coral Vue Hydros

LED Pico Light

evilc66

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply
highly doubtfull. those terminals look recessed. besides 120 doesnt hurt

Last time I checked my digits were not solid so I think I could easily get a thumb down into those recessed connections. :huh: HUMMM last time I got a hold of 120v's I will not forget it, but hey I am still alive - It didn't cause a heart attack - I guess thats good. :D

:lol: I guess it all relative, it does not hurt compaired to 460 VAC!

well i work with a range of voltage from 345kv all the way down to 13.8kv. Granted all of the above is @ less than 1A. been hit with 2 phases of 440 (a co worker closed in a breaker energizing a circuit on a vaccum pump) NOW thats what i called a shocking experience.

a simple piece of electrical tape will suffice if you feel obligated. most of your standard black electrical tape with a UL aproval is rated to stop at a minimum 220 @ 20A

After reading through 27 pages, I want this light. Love the idea of a light that doesnt need a ballast or a life support system to work. I just bought a 4 gal tank (havent recieved it yet) Its 12x7.5x10.5. I like the idea of a light that doesnt need to be 20 inches above the tank to work. Will this new light be enough for this tank or am I better off with two of the 38's? Where I want to put the tank the light will be only 10 inches or so above it.

The PAR38's are the new lights. Once the wide angle lense options are available, you should be just fine with having a single lamp 10" over the tank.

next time you are messing with the socket with your right hand just keep the left one dipped in the tank. lol......you fish are even hoping you put something over it.

Perfect, Will have to pick one up when I'm closer to that stage. You said "once the wide angle lense is avalable you should be fine with one" Is this an add on option for this bulb?

Any standard lamp socket. You will want to make sure that whatever fixture you choose is well ventilated to keep the lamp temperatures down.

thats what i was thinking. i read on the website that a closed lamp will void the warranty. could i just buy a socket from home depot and just wire it up?? seems the most logical route IMO

That's certainly an option.

The reason we state that it voids the warranty is that we have no control over the type of fixture you use, and what the ambient temps are. If a lamp fails from overheating, we can't cover it. If it's in an open or ventilated fixture, it can stand quite high ambient temperatures. As soon as it's placed in a closed fixture, it traps air, and the temperatures rise considerably and could cause the lamp to fail all together, or severely reduce it's life.

Nice and easy big selling point of this lamp, but you may want to cover those bare wire ends attached to the socket. Could be a shocking experiance if you touch them when opening the cabinet. :)

I thought about that the first day and have forgotten ever since. The cabinets are high, I'm short, so I open them by the bottom edge. My fingers never seem to be in that area at all so I chilled out on the issue. As others said, all it takes is some caulk or tape or something :P

Last time I checked my digits were not solid so I think I could easily get a thumb down into those recessed connections. :huh: HUMMM last time I got a hold of 120v's I will not forget it, but hey I am still alive - It didn't cause a heart attack - I guess thats good. :D

Here is something I came across...LOL

"How many times have your heard that it's not the volts that'll kill you, but the amps? While mostly true (it takes only 100mA to stop your heart), amps and volts are eternally bound together by Ohm's Law:

V = IRIn plain English: volts (V) equals current (I) times resistance ®. So, assuming resistance is constant, voltage and current are in lockstep."

As one goes up, so does the other, and vice versa. You can't have a lot of amps without a lot of volts..

So, back to which kills you, the amps or volts. Given your body is a constant resistance, it really is a combination of both. Higher voltage means higher amperage, and thus higher voltage has more potential to kill.

:o

Here is something I came across...LOL

"How many times have your heard that it's not the volts that'll kill you, but the amps? While mostly true (it takes only 100mA to stop your heart), amps and volts are eternally bound together by Ohm's Law:

V = IRIn plain English: volts (V) equals current (I) times resistance ®. So, assuming resistance is constant, voltage and current are in lockstep."

As one goes up, so does the other, and vice versa. You can't have a lot of amps without a lot of volts..

So, back to which kills you, the amps or volts. Given your body is a constant resistance, it really is a combination of both. Higher voltage means higher amperage, and thus higher voltage has more potential to kill.

:o

Your skin is certainly not at a constant resistance. If the point of contact (your hand, for example) is clean and dry, your skin offers pretty high resistance. If you've been doing manual labor and are sweaty, your skin offers relatively small resistance. This is why people are shocked to death in the tub or shower with onyl 120v; their skin has become very conductive because of the water.

Your Ohm's law reasoning is correct, but R is not constant, which changes the whole thing :) I just had to comment on that.

so I have a question and it might be a dumb one but in the PAR38 lamp I think I remember you saying that the par is the same between the white and blue led's! Does this mean you could go all blue and get the same growth results? :blink:

evilc, I just ordered a par38 20K about 5 hours ago and was wondering if it will be one fo the wider angle lenses? if not how high you think it should be mounted over my 3gal picotope? I was thinking (from seeing pics on here) like a foot or so?

Thanks and im so pumped for the bulb!

Archived