Cultivated Reef

LED Pico Light

evilc66

nanotuners.com

First off, I'm a hobbyist, so I know what its like to buy something and find out a week later that a newer, more powerful version is available.

My pocketbook won't like it, but I have to do whats right.

If you purchased a version 1.0 PAR 38 from us, we are offering you a low cost upgrade. Simply cover the shipping to and fro, and we will get you a new lamp.

It's that simple.

We will refurb/clean up any units and resell them in our clearance section at added discount. We want to keep our customers happy.

I haven't made this an official email yet, so spread the word if you know of anyone who has one.

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First off, I'm a hobbyist, so I know what its like to buy something and find out a week later that a newer, more powerful version is available.

If you purchased a version 1.0 PAR 38 from us, we are offering you a low cost upgrade. Simply cover the shipping to and fro, and we will get you a new lamp.

It's that simple.

We will refurb/clean up any units and resell them in our clearance section at added discount. We want to keep our customers happy.

I haven't made this an official email yet, so spread the word if you know of anyone who has one.

^^^ See, now that's how a company should be ...much respect ^^^

I'm hoping to get full measurements of PAR and coverage area for all the lens options this weekend. I'll post here when I'm done.

I'm hoping to get full measurements of PAR and coverage area for all the lens options this weekend. I'll post here when I'm done.

Looking forward to it! B)

Everything reacting ok so far?

My sps seem to be liking things so far, but I'm not dosing yet either. I have a little nub of purple bonsai that is looking pretty happy. It's staying a lot more purple than under the 150W MH (more blue base, but puple growth).

Deleted User 6

They all had good PE yesterday, but I didn't run the light for long. Today will be the first full photoperiod with the new light, so I'll post results. The coloration is fantastic though. Those royal blues really make them pop.

wow, look at the reflection of the water on the ceiling! Is it THAT purple in person though or is your white balance off? To me that looks almost like pure actinic.

Deleted User 6

the white balance is a bit off in those pics - it's not quite as purple in person, but to be honest those pics come pretty close. It's more of a true 20k. And the shimmer on the ceiling is unreal!

Oh evil, the wife loved the light. win.

also, i'll be posting a vid later of the shimmer and the tank if the iPhone can capture it.

the white balance is a bit off in those pics - it's not quite as purple in person, but to be honest those pics come pretty close. It's more of a true 20k. And the shimmer on the ceiling is unreal!

Oh evil, the wife loved the light. win.

also, i'll be posting a vid later of the shimmer and the tank if the iPhone can capture it.

If it passes the wife test, all is good :)

www.nanocustoms.com

that's where I got mine.

The Nanotuners site has them too.

It's that simple.

First off, what outstanding customer service! If more companies operated like you guys they wouldn't have to worry about losing customers because another retailer has an item for $1.00 less. Offers such as this breed customer loyalty.

What about returning my 15 and 21 watt version, ugrading the 15 to a 21 and having wider optics installed on both? What kind of cost would be involved there (excluding shipping)? Are the optics something your non-LED DIYer could change out? Thanks, guys.

You could just about get away with 1. If you wait a little while until we get the wider optic option, you will have the same coverage, without having to have the lamp so high. It's all going to depend on how you want to mount it. Keep in mind that it will not be the same lighting wise as a full LED retro. It's going to have decent coverage, and good PAR, but it will have a considerably different look. If you are looking to keep the same kind of look as the stock lights, but just switch to LEDs, then this is not for you. This setup creates far more dramatic shadows and a far different look, as I'm sure DHaut will attest to.

You could just about get away with 1. If you wait a little while until we get the wider optic option, you will have the same coverage, without having to have the lamp so high. It's all going to depend on how you want to mount it. Keep in mind that it will not be the same lighting wise as a full LED retro. It's going to have decent coverage, and good PAR, but it will have a considerably different look. If you are looking to keep the same kind of look as the stock lights, but just switch to LEDs, then this is not for you. This setup creates far more dramatic shadows and a far different look, as I'm sure DHaut will attest to.

is there a way that i could mount it that didnt require it hanging ? besides a ugly desk lamp i would like one if i didnt have to do this lol

Deleted User 6

yes, the shadowing is WAY more pronounced, which I much prefer to the harsh MH I had. It's a more natural feeling. One thing I'm wondering is if the spotlight creates some lighting "dead spots" in the tank due to the shadows, but only time will tell that. Even so, I would still go with the bulb again if I had to do over - it's a really great look. The wife said "well it certainly makes the tank look pretty!" Sold.

Evil, are you going to run new PAR measurements with the new bulb shipment to see how the power increase changed things? I wish I had a par meter to check out the coverage for my tank. The corals seem to like it so far though.

B)

naw dude, get those LEDs over that pico and let that baby shine!

well i think im gonna try to do it your way dhaut it looks frickin sweet

Deleted User 6
well i think im gonna try to do it your way dhaut it looks frickin sweet

thanks man - that pendant is really cheap and easy to hang. I didn't even cut into the drywall - just screwed it to the ceiling and ran the cord out the back. As long as you can do some basic electrical work (splice an extension cord onto the pendant cord) you're good.

DHaut, that really does look great over your tank! The shadowing is very dramatic, which I like. That's what I'd expect given these are more of a point-source compared to a relatively large MH fixture and bulb.

Really looking forward to the wider optics as I'd like to have it lower if possible.

Archived