Innovative Marine Aquariums

LED Pico Light

evilc66

The barn doors certainly would be cool. I need to order some to see if they will fit around the head of the lamp. At least with those you can get the pseudo-look of the Japanese spots while still using an open lamp head.

Do they make cylindrical sheaths for this effect? I've always thought the barn doors looked a bit...clunky.

We have cylindrical shades that wrap around the outside of 1000W MH fixtures (see the right side of the photo)...it'd be neat to do this on a smaller lamp.

I'm also a bit curious why the tendency is to aim these things at such an angle to the water surface. Isn't that reflecting a ton of light back? Confused why these aren't being moved to the correct position and then aimed straight down...

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Got my 12k bulb today! Just did a quick test but this bulb is just awesome! Can't wait to get my new tank up and running so I can put it to good use. Thanks Evil!

Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Do they make cylindrical sheaths for this effect? I've always thought the barn doors looked a bit...clunky.

We have cylindrical shades that wrap around the outside of 1000W MH fixtures (see the right side of the photo)...it'd be neat to do this on a smaller lamp.

I'm also a bit curious why the tendency is to aim these things at such an angle to the water surface. Isn't that reflecting a ton of light back? Confused why these aren't being moved to the correct position and then aimed straight down...

Some barn doors are certainly not as good looking as others. Honestly, they would only be for cosmetic purposes anyway since the lens does all the focusing. Haven't seen the sheathes for this size light before. Not to say it doesn't exist.

You do lose light proportionate to the angle off center that you place the lamp. It's all about what you want the lamp for though. Placing the lamp straight down is great for maximizing the coverage area and amount of light put into the tank, but doesn't create as dramatic of an effect as a light shining in from an angle on a certain area of the tank. It's also not practical to do if you are adding these as a suppliment to existing lighting, and you have to work around it to get the light where you want it.

Some eye candy, very impressed on the brightness of these. This is the 12k (keep in mind the wall is light blue, but you get idea on the area of the spot)

DSCN9945.jpg

DSCN9943.jpg

DSCN9944.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. The spot on the wall shows how well the colors blend pretty well. It blends a lot better than the 3 LED PAR20 lamps.

Thanks for the pictures. The spot on the wall shows how well the colors blend pretty well. It blends a lot better than the 3 LED PAR20 lamps.

It does blend really well, and that was just a few inches from the wall.

My lights are here :D

The 20k and the 12K finally arrived....and arrived safely. I test fired both above my 24gal tank.

First impressions

1. the color is good on the lights but the 20k is alot closer to a 14k Phoenix/AquaConnect then a 20k Radium or XM, to my eyes more royal blues would need to be added to look more 20K

2. The 12k is visually white enough to be considered 12k (close to Reeflux)

3. In a tank my size (from 24-32 gallons) to run just these lights I would recommend atleast 4 maybe more depending what type of corals you are keeping. Smaller size aquariums, depending on their shape should be able to get away with 2.

For me, I keep only non-photosynthetic, color and highlighting corals is the most important to me (Japanese style).

What I would like to see (my wish list)

1. Narrow optic versions for current lights available

2. All Royal Blue lamp with standard optic and narrow

3. All red with narrow optics

Mike

I will try to put a few pics up Satuday or Sunday. I am working with 2 temporary light fixtures but I will put a few up of my tank.

Mike

These are all things that we have plans for. We weren't going to go with an all red lamp, as that could create some issues with coral health, but we were looking at adding a more purple color temp to the collection. We have also been looking at offering a wider and a narrower lens option. We are still figuring out what those lenses will be though.

As far as what is needed per tank, every one is going to be different. It's all going to be down to how much PAR you need, and what kind of coverage you are looking for. Mike, if you were doing a photosynthetic tank, you could use 3 and be just fine. You would be mounting the lamps about 14" above the tank for full coverage, and would be hitting about 160-180 PAR on the sand.

Either way, I'm glad you like them and look forward to seeing pictures this weekend.

Without a doubt everyone's needs is going to be different. For being enough par for corals to grow, I have no doubt that it would be enough. Visually, reefers who have come accustomed to halides or T5's over their aquarium will have to get use to spot lighting if that is their new primary type of lighting. Depending on the size of the aquarium and shadow preference will also help them figure out how many bulbs they will need. Also factoring in what they are keeping; LPS, SPS, non-photosynthetic. If they are using this as additional lighting they will be fine. If they are planning to step into the realm of Japanese style spot lighting/highlighting aquarium, I would like to challange them to see one aquarium that uses 2 bulbs (that isn't a pico).

Mike

We weren't going to go with an all red lamp, as that could create some issues with coral health, but we were looking at adding a more purple color temp to the collection.

Perfect! I'd prefer purple over all red.

evilc, could you perhaps find a few spare moments and grab a few measurements of the PAR38 lamp, namely the diameter of the head, full length, length from the head to the start of the socket, and the weight (in inches and lbs or ounces)? I've just ordered a JBJ Picotope and with Current discontinuing the 12" dual Satellite, I'm quite interested in this lamp or perhaps you and the folks at Nanocustoms have a super-secret Picotope-specific LED fixture in the works, either way, I'm wanting to light the tank with LEDs. Thanks.

Just order 1 of these fixtures from SLD Lighting

3009.jpg

and these barn doors

9109.jpg

as said previously this is what I am looking to achieve

15.jpg

I believe as long as the fixture works out, it can be painted to visually match the Superkaru spot. I didn't order the lens ring as pictured on the Superkaru but it is available with lenses. Checking through a few industrial parts sites to match up the clamp.

Mike

thats a cool looking light aqua.... i bet canal lighting has a lot to choose from i'm gonna have to head down there and see what they have when i get mine... so aqua how are you liking the lights and where in yonkers are you

rick

I like it Mike! Very nice indeed.

I went simple and ordered three of these, I just hope they can support the weight of the bulb or else I'll have to beef them up a bit.

d685_1.jpg

Down the road from St. John's Hospital in Yonkers. I haven't messed with them much today...I just came in from House of Fins 52 anniversery celebration and Greenwich Aquaria. I am going to rig up 2 temporary light fixtures so I can take a couple of pictures. But before I get to do that, I have to get a few projects completed around my house today.

Mike

evilc, could you perhaps find a few spare moments and grab a few measurements of the PAR38 lamp, namely the diameter of the head, full length, length from the head to the start of the socket, and the weight (in inches and lbs or ounces)? I've just ordered a JBJ Picotope and with Current discontinuing the 12" dual Satellite, I'm quite interested in this lamp or perhaps you and the folks at Nanocustoms have a super-secret Picotope-specific LED fixture in the works, either way, I'm wanting to light the tank with LEDs. Thanks.

4.75" in diameter, 5.5" long, and about 8oz. in weight. While I'm not going to promise that there will be a pico specific light soon, we have lots of ideas rolling around that we are looking to flesh out more.

Random suggestion: It'd be cool to have an all-white model with wide optics for freshwater. 8-10k would work.

It's possible. I would have to get a higher bin white LED to make that happen. Most of the guys in the planted tank forums that are going LED seem pretty happy with the 6500K WG bin cool whites. We could offer something like that if the interest is there.

@jgilvey the unmodded light is available in 5000K with Cree LED's and 40° optics.

Mike

True. 5000K is a bit warm for most peoples tastes, even the planted guys.

Just order 1 of these fixtures from SLD Lighting

3009.jpg

Is that vented on the back?

Dont worry Clive, I promise i wont be the first person to overheat one of your lamps :D Once I get the fixture in, I will see how I am going to vent it (either Dremel it with vents or drill out the back & perforate it)

Mike

Kewl. I know you won't be the first, but I'd prefer if nobody did :) They should have a good long life if they treat them right.

Archived