Pod Your Reef

LED Pico Light

evilc66

Was thinking more like a 29. I wanted to set 2 lights in pendants along a track and point them towards the center.

Like:

_________

\------/

Again, I don't necessarily light the entire tank. Just have enough combined in the center to grow one or two corals. I'm thinking about a pretty minimalist tank.

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

XiaoNio

I also have a Solana...actually an HC Ecocube (Current used to make a 24 and a 34). Once my lights come in I can tell you if 2 will be enough. You are going to have to add in to the equation the height of the bulb over the tank, light spread, what type of sps, WAF or HAF (my favorite).

Mike

Clive, do you know if the Carclo 20mm optic for the Q5 WG fit inside the bulb housing?

Mike

Nope. Totally wrong shape to fit in the lens holder.

Was thinking more like a 29. I wanted to set 2 lights in pendants along a track and point them towards the center.

Like:

_________

\------/

Again, I don't necessarily light the entire tank. Just have enough combined in the center to grow one or two corals. I'm thinking about a pretty minimalist tank.

Should do fairly well. PAR might fall off pretty good towards the edges though.

Hello evil,i have a question(might be dumb or not) i have a 20Long. You think your pico light would work on my fishtank and how many would i need. not really thinking of having SPS coral but wouldnt mind later down the line. thank you

evil,

I know this would be hard to answer _BUT_

I wonder how one of these Par38's would stack up against your Current USA Satellite retros like El Fab has?

I love how his light works out on his Picotope and I would like to replicate that as much as possible.

It's going to produce less PAR at the distance that would be needed to cover the tank, but it will be enough for most corals. The disadvantage is you have no control over color other than what you order from the get go.

Evil - I am thinking about doing a combo of these spotlights with T5's. I would mainly have SPS but some LPS. What wattage do these run? I plan on running them on a 17" tall tank. Two islands like in my current tank. 3-4 of these and 2 24" T5's?

Let me know what you think. Again thanks for all the help with the LED Q's. You've been great!

-Dave

These lamps run just under 15W each. A combo with T5s would work well. Because of how focused the lamps are, the T5s will help fill in some of the gaps and make the lighting a little more even.

Woohoo! Order was updated to "shipped" status. Can't wait. I have a clever mounting system that I will take photos of if it works out well.

Woohoo! Order was updated to "shipped" status. Can't wait. I have a clever mounting system that I will take photos of if it works out well.

I am looking forward to your set-up pictures as well. I am on the hunt for a clip-on fixture. I really wanted to do the Tolomeo, but the socket is the wrong orientation for the bulb.

Mine shipped today too, you guys are awesome!

If you do start accepting custom configurations, please let me know. A few pages back a member expressed interest in a narrow optic red configuration, I'd order one as well. Also interested in an all Royal Blue configuration.

To Clive and Nano Tuners, thanks for offering something less seen, it's a step in the right direction for sure. The $119.95 is a great price point as well. I look forward to ordering more :)

DSC_03120001.jpg

Detail shot of the track lighting. Cost about $75 for the full setup at Lowes (not including pvc).

Evil, do you happen to have a parts list for this track lighting setup? Or an option for a shorter length (12") of track?

any of the pico lights still available? wanna upgrade from my crappy 18w current usa

I believe we are out until the end of the month.

Evil, do you happen to have a parts list for this track lighting setup? Or an option for a shorter length (12") of track?

This was all parts from Lowes. They should be pretty easy to spot in the lighting department, but it's just a 4' track, the track heads, and a power cord. They sell tracks as short as 2', but only online. The 4' track can be cut down to size though. When you cut it, you have to trim the copper rails inside the track 1/2" shorter then the track. they slide out pretty easily, and can be cut with wire cutters.

Oh wow, I was wondering if you could shorten the track, because same thing happened to me - only found long sections of track at HD/Lowes. Thanks for the tip. No biggie now though, I'm not doing a track setup ;)

cpreefguy

You can always use this fixture, which is 1/5th the price of the Artemide Tolomeo.

Silver Metal Step Gooseneck lamp

or

Black clamp on light

Then pick up a can of flat titanium or silver paint and spray away.

if you are looking to be a little creative and spend some cash Artemide makes these lights in silver and wire up a few these in a hanging box enclosure over your tank.

main.jpg?current=1254873116

to look something like this:

img_1174-420x279.jpg

these are what I am trying to replicate

15.jpg

Mike

Thanks Mike, you and I have similar taste! I like the silver fixture.

I am also a fan of dmorel's reef, it's gorgeous.

I'd like to replicate the Japanese spots as closely as possible. I used to have the Superkaru spotlight you posted, bought it from Koji Wada when he came from Japan to speak at MACNA in Atlanta. Unfortunately, I sold it and wish I hadn't!

cpreefguy

You can always use this fixture, which is 1/5th the price of the Artemide Tolomeo.

I was under the impression this LED bulb won't work in a can fixture as it needs the heat sink fins exposed...

@wombat The bulb will work in the fixture. Putting it a can will effect the warantee on the bulb (heat issues if the bulb is on for multiple houses and not being ventalated properly).

@cpreefguy thanks. I think the silver one can be modded realitively easy. Cut the gooseneck off of it, mount the clamp closer to the head, pick up a set of barn doors BD16.jpg and spray them silver

Mike

Closed cans are certainly not recommended. They could be modified to have some ventilation added to the back though. The barn doors certainly would be cool. I need to order some to see if they will fit around the head of the lamp. At least with those you can get the pseudo-look of the Japanese spots while still using an open lamp head.

Got my 12k bulb today! Just did a quick test but this bulb is just awesome! Can't wait to get my new tank up and running so I can put it to good use. Thanks Evil!

Archived