SaltCritters.com

LED Pico Light

evilc66

whoa. any estimates on price for the big one?

Not yet.

evil this thread is awesome it should be a sticky! if it isnt already well i been reading through it what is your best reccommendation for my 1.25 cube and the price?

The smaller PAR20 lamp should be plenty for that tank (assuming it's the Current Betta Cube).

I see vast potential for these spotlights.

I really like the Japanese-style metal halide spotlights (that cost an arm & a leg) and I think these would definitely help one achieve the effects on a larger tank as well.

evil, can the optics be changed out in these lamps?

;)

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sign me up for one!

Got a glass candle holder that holds 2 gallons that I've been thinking of turning pico. Heck its had live rock and a power head cooking in it for a couple months.

its about fifteen inches deep. What light would be best suited for it ?

sign me up for one!

Got a glass candle holder that holds 2 gallons that I've been thinking of turning pico. Heck its had live rock and a power head cooking in it for a couple months.

its about fifteen inches deep. What light would be best suited for it ?

Most likely one of the two larger ones. It's more based on the depth than anything. The extra LEDs and extra watt per LED will give you more usable PAR. 2 gallons at 15" tall would make the diameter about 6"? The smaller lamp would work, but lower PAR.

Me want.......how soon will we be placeing the order?

Gonna try finishing the test this weekend. May get another sale going shortly after.

I'll be ordering whatever the picotope would need.

They look great

Not sure yet, but I think the larger lamps should be able to a picotope with a single lamp.

Just out of interest (as ive already ordered the bits for my new light) Would the larger ones work well for a 75g if you used enough of them?

OK...for example:

This is your Betta Cube:

011.jpg

This is your Betta Cube on Evil's original Pico Lamp:

DSC00734.jpg

I know - need to clean the glass, etc...just wanted you all to see what a great job Evil does on these!!

Next time, no flash, and tweak your color balance to something like "shade" so it won't overpower with blue.

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on the coverage area and what you want for intensity. If you are going to look for a fixture, see if you can find one that is adjustable. Also make sure the arm can hold a pretty decent amount of weight. The lamps are not light.

Looks very cool. If one wanted to light a larger area, do you think it would be more advantageous to have optics and position the light further away, or have no optics and have it be a bit closer to the water? I'm thinking a standard 3g pico size sand bed.

Well, I was just wondering in general, how to best light a large area with a minimal number of LEDs. One could use no optics for greater spread, or one could use optics to focus the light, but need to mount the light a bit higher to get a larger coverage area and blend of blue and white light. Which do you think is better for an application like your new light?

Do you think you'll be using optics in this new light in the works?

You need LEDs for coverage. By going with a smaller array, you will never get complete coverage or good output. You will always be limited on coverage area with fewer numbers of LEDs. The screw in lamps are limited in the are that it will cover while still maintaining decent PAR. The PAR20 was limited to about 8" diameter. The larger PAR38 lamp is good to roughly 12" while still maintaining decent PAR. All of these lamps are using optics of some decription.

Evil, when do you think you might have the PAR20 or PAR 38 available? I'm looking for something to light my 12"x9"x8" AIO, I would think one of those would be perfect.

Archived