SaltCritters.com

LED Pico Light

evilc66

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad the community in general seems to be receptive of our relationship. We took our time getting this far, but it was really solidified over a "MIRL" Meet in Real Life weekend.

I'm a little zany by nature, and always do better talking about someone else than myself, so raining the clever taglines and compliments comes naturally.

Get ready for some fun products guys.

Chris

Evil when are you going to roll out the LED spotlights for larger tanks? We are all waiting for the 60w version of this.

Maybe it will happen. Maybe it won't. You'll just have to wait and see ;)

Hey Evil, how does the color of this bulb compare to the white portion of the PAR38 bulbs? Do you use a different white Cree LED than the ones that come inside this bulb?

http://www.nextechlighting.com/product_inf...;products_id=55

Much better color. The stock "commercial" lamps are using 5000K neutral whites. We are specing WG bin Q5 cool whites along with the royals blues. The 12K actually looks really good. Think kind of like a Reeflux 12K, but with more pop. It's a really clean, crisp white, and very bright looking against white/pink sand. The 20K is more like a Phoenix in it's tone.

Maybe it will happen. Maybe it won't. You'll just have to wait and see ;)

Much better color. The stock "commercial" lamps are using 5000K neutral whites. We are specing WG bin Q5 cool whites along with the royals blues. The 12K actually looks really good. Think kind of like a Reeflux 12K, but with more pop. It's a really clean, crisp white, and very bright looking against white/pink sand. The 20K is more like a Phoenix in it's tone.

I'm probably missing it because it's hard to get everything when going through 17 pages BUT what are the PAR readings at 6", 12" and 24" of depth?

Thanks!

In all honesty, I didn't measure the new lamp. The PAR30 is similar, but we have been measuring higher numbers on the new one. PAR readings start at the top of page 12 IIRC.

In all honesty, I didn't measure the new lamp. The PAR30 is similar, but we have been measuring higher numbers on the new one. PAR readings start at the top of page 12 IIRC.

Sorry if this has been asked, but I have a nano that is 20x16x8 and it's a clam and lps shallow reef. I might have a cap or two but either way. Will these work for would one with a UV light be better in it? How many would I need to get good coverage all the way across.

I want to see shots with these in use!! :)

I just ordered the PAR38 20k as fast as I could after I saw this thread. I hope you didn't run out of stock yet!! *fingers crossed*

Side note: I was about to pull the trigger on a fishneedit.com 150w MH pendant...but I think I will be happier with this LED setup. Now to figure out how to mount it...hmmm.

blizzardscout2

Hey Evil, it is cool to see Nanocustoms and you teaming up! I plan on getting the Pico lamp down the road when I start a Pico, so it is good to see these will probably be around for awhile. Thanks for all your hard work!

I just ordered the PAR38 20k as fast as I could after I saw this thread. I hope you didn't run out of stock yet!! *fingers crossed*

Side note: I was about to pull the trigger on a fishneedit.com 150w MH pendant...but I think I will be happier with this LED setup. Now to figure out how to mount it...hmmm.

I'm in the middle of thinking a MH Clip on or two of these LED's mounted on the wall for my mini nano!

P1012873.jpg

Question about the optics...is there a way to change out the degree optic without voiding the waranty.

We are looking to offer angle choices very soon. We are just trying to figure out what those choices will be. I'd say you can do it yourself, but it's a pain getting into these lamps compared to others that are screwed together.

Sorry if this has been asked, but I have a nano that is 20x16x8 and it's a clam and lps shallow reef. I might have a cap or two but either way. Will these work for would one with a UV light be better in it? How many would I need to get good coverage all the way across.

I want to see shots with these in use!! :)

UV light is not mandatory for coral health. As of right now, the use of UV is just a theory that is yet to be proven out. I'm still working on that part ;). Considering that your tank is only 8" tall, two would work fairly well.

The first batch is certainly dissapearing fast. We have a lot more on order, but not sure on the arrival date yet.

Lots of ways to hang these. The huge number of options for track lighting makes it an attractive option.

Hey Evil, it is cool to see Nanocustoms and you teaming up! I plan on getting the Pico lamp down the road when I start a Pico, so it is good to see these will probably be around for awhile. Thanks for all your hard work!

Thanks. Without stating the obvious, I think our partnership will benefit the whole reefing community. We have some nifty stuff in store for you guys. We are carrying a lot of DIY LED parts in case you haven't scoped out the store yet.

These are going to be nice for many different tanks and setups.

I'm in the middle of thinking a MH Clip on or two of these LED's mounted on the wall for my mini nano!

P1012873.jpg

I was in the same boat as you...but I have a JBJ NC6, which is more of a 4-5 gallon square area to light instead of your long tank. I think you should go with two of these PAR38's for spread and consequently great PAR.

At first I wanted a clamp on JBJ Viper 70W. Then everyone says 70W bulbs are crap and there isn't a lot of variety, so I decided on 150W - which is overkill for my 4-5 effective (shallow) gallons to light. Too many bad reviews on the Viper made me research more. I love the custom LED setups, and I can make most of myself, but they are $$. T5HO fixtures were too long for my little tank. Settled on looking for a 150W MH pendant style fixture. Hamilton, Aqua Medic, Current, etc, all want like $300 for their pendants! So I found the fishneedit.com pendant.

I was literally going to buy the fishneedit pendant until I saw this thread, so yeah. Hopefully 5 Cree's in this PAR38 is enough for my small tank. I wish we could get an approximate comparison to MH or T5HO watts. Like does this 15W LED PAR38 = 70-150W of MH? or 30-60W of T5HO? Or maybe we could compare by lumens/PAR?

It's difficult to compare because of the height you have to mount it to get adequate coverage. For some it will be more like a 150W. For others it will be more like using a 70W.

Ok, I can't take it anymore.

I've a 20k halide (pretty blue) and want one of these sweet little spots to highlight an SPS island.

So Clive, should I go 12k, or 20k? (Im sure the 12k will bring out some of the warmer colors, and the 20k will bring out some of the fluorescent)

Well, both will bring out the fluorescence. As long as it has a royal blue LED, you have pop. For color, it's up to you. With a 20K MH, going with the contrasting 12K might make more of a dramatic effect. You know, kind of like the beam of light from up high (that would be the LED Gawd shining down on your corals :lol:)

It's difficult to compare because of the height you have to mount it to get adequate coverage. For some it will be more like a 150W. For others it will be more like using a 70W.

As long as one of these PAR38's = ~70W of MH @ ~10" above the water surface, I'm happy.

I get what you are saying about how it could vary due to the optics and what kind of spread you need.

Edit: 69th post, woo woo!

OT: Slick looking tank. Details, or tank thread?

I think that Vortech would look sweet if it were on the bottom pane hidden away from view by rocks. B)

As long as one of these PAR38's = ~70W of MH @ ~10" above the water surface, I'm happy.

I get what you are saying about how it could vary due to the optics and what kind of spread you need.

Edit: 69th post, woo woo!

Should do. We were measuring some pretty high PAR at about 20"

OT: Slick looking tank. Details, or tank thread?

I think that Vortech would look sweet if it were on the bottom pane hidden away from view by rocks. B)

Actually going to go with Tunze, getting rid of my MP20 as we speak. No tank thread yet waiting to get all the equipment or at least most of it. :) I also put some base rock in the sump of my main tank a few weeks ago.

I'm thinking about a rimless project (Solana or BC) with one or two of these as pendants. I realize I won't get full coverage to the edges, but I kind of prefer that. There should be enough PAR to grow some SPS right?

Archived