Top Shelf Aquatics

LED Pico Light

evilc66

In case anyone missed the PMs, all the Pico Lamps have shipped and should be in your grubby little hands any day now, except for a few international orders that will take a day or two longer. I hope everyone enjoys them.

Please post pictures once you get them set up.

I may be doing another small order of these (prebuilt) in a little while, and may get my new version up and running too. Stay tuned.

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DSC_0602-1.jpg

This is just a teaser for the next LED group buy I will be setting up here soon. This will be great for smaller picos with just one light, or larger ones with a few. Pricing will be reasonable.

I'll post more details at the end of the week

I'm looking at a similar fixture for pendant lights for my tank. they are replacements for a par30 bulbpost-33650-1249095507.gif that contain a pcb with solderpads for 9 LEDs (I think 5 bright white, 2 royal, and 2 blue might work well)

I just need to check what the internal constant current driver and heatsink are like (tomorrow)

I expect that 4 of them over a 15G tank would work well.

In case anyone missed the PMs, all the Pico Lamps have shipped and should be in your grubby little hands any day now, except for a few international orders that will take a day or two longer. I hope everyone enjoys them.

Please post pictures once you get them set up.

I may be doing another small order of these (prebuilt) in a little while, and may get my new version up and running too. Stay tuned.

:naughtydance:

Im loking into turning my FOWLR 10" cube into a pico reef tank and want to light it with leds only...

What are my best options right now? I really like the 20k look with alot of coral flourescence

THX in advance

Wait to see how my new lamp turns out. It way be able to light up the entire tank with only a single bulb. The smaller ones currently would need at least two.

BLoCkCliMbeR

anyone put up pics of one of these on a tank yet?

ive played with the idea of makin an LED light while my wife was asleep but im patiently waiting for the right moment.....

Tank015.jpg

Tank026.jpg

Tank035.jpg

Got the lamps up on my 3.5g pico last week. They are 2x 20K and what an improvement from my PCs! They look better in person, more color. Not sure how to get the settings right on my point and click. I placed them about 11" from the sandbed to get better color blending and coverage. There is one section right in the middle towards the back that just stays blue, one more lamp would have been perfect. Hopefully I can get some growth on the stylo.

Thanks evil, worth the wait.

Wait to see how my new lamp turns out. It way be able to light up the entire tank with only a single bulb. The smaller ones currently would need at least two.

More PAR, what's the trade-in program ;)

Sweet. Glad you are happy with them. Care to share some pictures of the fixture setup?

Nice tank BTW.

The only reasonably priced fixtures I found were from IKEA. I also wanted the arms to be flexible. Problem is most of the fixtures were for anything but for a medium base bulb. I had to use adapters to attach the lamps, which made them 1.5" longer and stick out the bottom of the lamp shade. I ended up taking off the shade and I'm looking for some longer ones. Kind of cheesy looking but it works.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60150459

Pico_lamp002.jpg

When are you expecting to possibly have the new lamp available? I'm anxiously awaiting...

Oy - I need one of these lights bad. I'm getting sad looking at my pitcher with no light over it. I don't think I'm crafty enough to construct a complete DIY set-up for it and not have it look like a three year old built it.

What will the new lamp feature that is different from your previous lamp?

MOAR POWER!! lol. It has more LEDs running at a higher current.

Yo evil I need you to make me a light for the 6 gallon!

Oh yeah? ;)

Oy - I need one of these lights bad. I'm getting sad looking at my pitcher with no light over it. I don't think I'm crafty enough to construct a complete DIY set-up for it and not have it look like a three year old built it.

I'll have more up for sale soon. Trying desperately to get the new lamp tested.

I actually managed to get it tested Monday, but I have been waiting for another, potentially better lamp to come in before commiting performance numbers. It should be here Friday.

You know what, I'll post the numbers anyway. If the new light is better, then it will just be a higher power version, and I will offer three steps of power levels. I'll get the numbers up at lunch.

Ok. Performance is as follows:

5 LED (3 white, 2 royal blue, 12K), 10W PAR30 lamp w/45 degree optics

9" 336

12" 190

14" 150

18" 84

Compare that to the original:

9" 196

12" 110

14" 82

18" 52

So, a pretty healthy increase in performance. Coverage area seems a little better than the original Pico Lamp. I'll post pictures soon.

Ok. Performance is as follows:

5 LED (3 white, 2 royal blue, 12K), 10W PAR30 lamp w/45 degree optics

9" 336

12" 190

14" 150

18" 84

Compare that to the original:

9" 196

12" 110

14" 82

18" 52

So, a pretty healthy increase in performance. Coverage area seems a little better than the original Pico Lamp. I'll post pictures soon.

I'm very interested in this light as well!!! Please let me know if/when you plan to sell these!

Archived