ReefCleaners.org

A.G.E. 40"x28"x22" Barebottom SPS dominant

fishez4alivin

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
fishez4alivin
Are you getting good growth from your sps using a t5 fixture? Just wondering if the lighting is strong enough to match mh in coral growth.

I thought my photoperiod was pretty short, however I was told that I needed to shorten it even longer so I don't stunt growth. I now run my dawn/dusk from 2-10PM, with the rest of the lights going on from 3-9pm. Even with the longer photoperiod, I got pretty good growth, seeing noticeable growth in my sticks and montis even though I frag the hell out of them for my local club. I don't have a single coral that I haven't fragged multiple times, and even then they have noticeable growth. That setosa has been fragged 20+ times this year alone. And it has grown more than an inch all the way around, probably more.

fishez4alivin
Your tank looks incredible!

Why are you thinking about going BB?

Thanks, I am still debating going BB, just removing a little sand each week during WC's. I like the sandbed, but BB is a lot cleaner.

fishez4alivin

Making some changes, probably going to put sand back into the tank, I had some frags slide across the BB and get smoked by other corals....I got new bulbs, since some were 12 months old, and others were 8....much brighter, I don't need to measure PAR to know there is a difference.

So I decided to swap out my bulbs since some were 12 months old and some were 8 months old. I made a couple of changes in my bulbs, mainly because I kept hearing about how nice of a combo it is. So I took out one Blue+ and one ABS for a Actinic white and ge 6500K combo. We shall see.

was:

Front

Blue+

Aquablue special

Super Actinics

Blue +

Aqua Science 22K

Aqua Science 15K

Fiji Purple

Aqua Science 22K

Aquablue Special

Blue+

Currently:

Blue+

Blue+

Super Actinics

Blue+

Actinic White

GE 6500K

Fiji Purple

AquaScience 22K

Aquascience 15K

Aquascience 22k

Before

fts121809004.jpg

After

damage004.jpg

I have shortened the photoperiod. Dawn/Dusk will be from 230-10:00 and all bulbs will fire from 330-9pm, plus raised the light 10" from the rim of the tank.

Been also thinking about going to a Profilux stand alone doser, I have been having trouble with keeping my Ph at 8.2, since its cooler, I am not getting the evaporation I need to dose enough Kalk to raise my Ph much higher than 8.0...

fishez4alivin

To combat my low Ph, I have decided to add this to my system and start dosing 2 part. I will use the other two pumps to dose Mg and vodka...

ghlsadosing-lg.gif

Can't wait to start playing with this new toy.

• 4 weeks later...
fishez4alivin

After over a week of testing, and dosing, I felt comfortable enough to build a rack for my dosing setup and jugs. I had some black 3/4" cell cast laying around, so I ran over to tap to have them cut it to size. I wanted something that would contain the whole dosing setup. I drilled and tapped in a hose bulkhead on each jug top. I then ran a rigid tube around an 1" off the bottom of the jug.

doser001.jpg

Hear is a top down of the stand, showing the dosing pump's very user friendly screen.

doser004.jpg

Here is the backside, showing how I could mount the power supply under the stand.

doser005.jpg

And finally in the stand. I also made a tubing mount and glued it to the sump, this way I make sure I don't have a cluster of tubing, and I can control where the solution is dosed.

doser013.jpg

I feel so confident about this setup, that I traded Lapsan at BAR my CaRx for a 3 month old dosing pump. I'm going to use it on my new nano, to make daily waterchanges. I should be able to keep my levels in check, as well as avoid having to dose, for quite awhile. :D That Nano is going to be totally pimped out :lol:

this tank is pretty awesome! I am excited to see some nice nanos locally. I missed this one cause I never look at the big tank forum. Good job! I will keep following this one...

• 2 weeks later...
fishez4alivin

Thanks man

so I have been contemplating swapping out my rock with new stuff, and today I took that first step. I bought some rock from a guy in my local club, nice porous stuff he got at AC. I took it home and rinsed it out real well, and did a quick build on a sheet of acrylic. The hardest part was removing all the coral. Wow what a pain, I hacked some up pretty bad and wasted a buinch on my old rock. I will give the rocks a few weeks to cycle, then I will do the other Island. I will do it in two parts,so I give the tank a total of 6 weeks to get through the mini cycle I will have. will swap out 1/2 of what I haven't done, and let it soak with new rock for another 2 weeks. Forget the talk, and lets see some pics ;)

I tried to get the same basic look

newrock001.jpg

newrock006.jpg

Man my corals got pissed off waiting for me to glue them to the rock.

newrock012.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
fishez4alivin

Thanks J

Pic update....

My harassed PL, my EA loves to pick on this one..

misc005.jpg

Next to the Sunset and Setosa when large, the Pink Sandollar has to be one of the fastest growing montis...it loves to get fragged :lol:

misc006.jpg

Green and red Aussie mille

misc007.jpg

See the third branch this GARF Purple Bonsai is starting? Well it needed to base out 3" before that nub started....look how I lost 2" of base when I removed it from the rock :lol:

misc008.jpg

Even though it's small this Ultimate Rainbow Acro is one of my favorites, when I removed it, it had based out 3" but this is all I could cut off

misc010.jpg

Ultimates Purple Monster....very slow growth

misc011.jpg

Painfully slow growing, the Aquascene Ice Fire Enchinata, bases out before branching....I actually had a spurt of growth a few months ago, but when I removed it, I could get only some of the base and broke the branches...I scraped it all and glued it to this rock, because It took so long to grow it that much.

misc012.jpg

Actually this Tyree Blue Stag is a good grower for me, I really like the green coralites and green polyps, its unique, however my EA loves this coral the most, so the polyps are normally sucked in except for the ones near the base.

misc015.jpg

Recovering from cutting 20 nubs for Green Marine...

misc016.jpg

Recovering from getting burned by the Pink Yuma, the Aussie Enchinata definitely is a new favorite of my foxface... :lol: The Lime in the sky seems to like low light in my tank.

misc017.jpg

Turquoise Staghorn

misc018.jpg

Ultimate Watermelon Acro that left most of it's base on the Lr that got an acid bath...Yellow Coris Wrasse and Algae Blenny

misc025.jpg

Emperor Angel, so worth the loss of PE

misc034.jpg

misc029.jpg

misc160.jpg

####### Foxface

misc153.jpg

HI Flame Wrasse

misc139.jpg

True Perc hosting Marco rock, actually hiding from the paired B/.W Percs

misc134.jpg

Purple Tang, finally has turned into a workhorse.

misc123.jpg

FTS

misc166.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
fishez4alivin

Hey Randy,hope all is well in SoCal....lmk when you are ready.

Purple tipped Efflo I just got

yuma003-2.jpg

New FTS

fts005-1.jpg

i have been waiting three months for a quote back from age thru a local dealer. i am ready to throw in the towel, almost the same dimensions as yours but a lil deeper, starfire also.

fishez4alivin

Going through a LFS can be a waste, try emailing cbrenes@thefishgallery.com, he will get back to you quickly

• 4 weeks later...
fishez4alivin

Ive played around with this ATL Fire Polyp Undata, having frags in different spots, I like the color I get from low light.

pl014.jpg

Still cant get over how fast my Pink Lemonade has grown in the past 30 days...it has definitely hit it's stride...

pl012.jpg

FTS

pl032.jpg

aaron1987

Gorgeous tank! If you don't mind me asking, how was your experience with AGE? I'm looking to have a 36x30x24" built.

fishez4alivin

Ive seen Miracles and Elos, and it is just as nice in build quality, what puts it over those is the fact you can order the tank with combos of glass, acrylic, and PVC...my tank has a 1" pvc bottom, 1/2" starphire on 3 sides, and the external box is made of 1/2" acrylic...if you want a euro bracing,k they will make it out of one piece of acrylic and glue it to the inside edge of the rim. It's a lot cleaner, than other glass makers and their 4 pieces of glass.

Ordering the tank and the build time can be lame....I ordered it from a store in Texas that does a lot of work with AGE, so I got my quote fast. I tried the LFS route, but the time it took was much longer. I will say that if AGE gets an order in that is big, your order gets put on hold. they say 30-60 days, but its more like 60-90 days. However, when you take the crate apart and see the beveled glass, and the perfect seams, you will be very happy.

Ive read a lot of complaints about the build time, and poor communications with the owner. I was totally pleased with my experience with Chris Brenes. With the sometimes poor feedback on the build times you never ever read of the person being disappointed with the product.

jeremy0411

I thought that triggers ate coral?

If i am correct how did you put yours in?

I have one and I definetly want to put it in my reef when I get it up and running.

AMAZING TANK!!!!!!!! :drool:

do want!!

Archived